Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Stubble Field Stalk

I just read the coulee stalk thread. GREAT INFO but I have been hunting a few stubble fields lately.

Basically what happened this morning was I spotted a few great looking bucks. I let them settle for an hour, never taking my eyes off of them. All the while trying to plan my stalk. Now I never did get to stalk anything as some oilfield guys drove by and spooked one and then the farmer started baling straw shortly after and the other guys bolted - haha just my luck this year. Oh well thats hunting.

The terrain is slightly slopping up then goes to a canal. They were bedded on the canal bank but I have 400 plus yards to close to get into shooting range.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM

From what I can tell in my coulee stalking thread, you might be best to retreat, and come back along the canal, from above. In my experience in rifle hunting, as well as my limited bow experience, they will likely make a quick retreat over that coulee bank when they spot you in front. Start with the short distance and the natural "blind" of the canal bank.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD 800 View Post
I just read the coulee stalk thread. GREAT INFO but I have been hunting a few stubble fields lately.

Basically what happened this morning was I spotted a few great looking bucks. I let them settle for an hour, never taking my eyes off of them. All the while trying to plan my stalk. Now I never did get to stalk anything as some oilfield guys drove by and spooked one and then the farmer started baling straw shortly after and the other guys bolted - haha just my luck this year. Oh well thats hunting.

The terrain is slightly slopping up then goes to a canal. They were bedded on the canal bank but I have 400 plus yards to close to get into shooting range.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
That situation needs a high wind in your favor. IMO. The high wind will cover both your scent and mask the noise by the stubble. I'd run as fast as I could to cover distance then take the last 100 meter slowly.