Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Default No Grain Dog Kibble

Does anybody have any opinions/recommendations around a no grain dog kibble. We’re thinking of possibly making a change and wanted to look into this no grain thing. Currently our dog eats home made food which is a fair bit of effort and I’m not sure how sustainable it is over the long run. Before that he did eat raw for a while but I’m not sure what he thought of it, he would frequently go 1.5 days without eating (maybe it was they type of patties I was buying and he just didn’t like them?).

Anyway, just starting to research and interested if anyone has any opinions to share.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Does anybody have any opinions/recommendations around a no grain dog kibble. We’re thinking of possibly making a change and wanted to look into this no grain thing. Currently our dog eats home made food which is a fair bit of effort and I’m not sure how sustainable it is over the long run. Before that he did eat raw for a while but I’m not sure what he thought of it, he would frequently go 1.5 days without eating (maybe it was they type of patties I was buying and he just didn’t like them?).

Anyway, just starting to research and interested if anyone has any opinions to share.

Thanks
Remember seeing something in the news about this, quick google search revealed the following:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4356999/g...heart-disease/

I'd be a bit leery about it, seems that many vets are seeing problems that could be linked.

Personally, we get the Costco Kirkland brand stuff, seems to have worked pretty well for more than 10 years with our Lab/Shepherd cross as she is still very healthy for her age and we found it to have much less 'filler' than other brands. Plus, the price is very good for the quality. Not sure that is the route you are looking for, but thought I would put it out there as an option.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Right now I'm just researching making a change. So any and all input is appreciated. Maybe your use of the word 'filler' is accurate, trying to find something that's not full of filler. Thanks for the link I'll give it a read. Also, I've now had a couple recommendations about the kirkland brand food so I'll take a look at that. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Lots of foods based with sweet potatoe and other subsitutes rather then grain.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:49 PM

Grain free is only required for dogs with allergies. Nothing wrong with most foods with grain although do your research on specific brands as some are definitely crap. I've been feeding my dogs raw for years. They are partial to Carnivora, made in Saskatchewan. They haven't liked some of the others as much. My Newfie eats beef or Bison dinner with a piece of frozen tripe in the morning and a small cucumber at night. I get a volume discount on 25 pound boxes at Unleashed. I like how small his turds are compared to the whoppers he would get on Kibble.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 PM

I tried several foods for my Drahthaar, and after not so great results with Acana, and Orijin grain free, I tried Purina Pro Sport , the chicken and rice formula. It's been about a year, and no issues at all. Plenty of energy, and he stays lean, even though I am free feeding. This food is the most popular by far with our local NAVHDA chapter, as well as with multiple breeders that I know. They also make a salmon formula.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:34 PM
AO Sponsor

I have an American bulldog that is allergic to just about everything. After trying all the major top quality kibbles in all the different meats etc, the only think we have found that work is a kangaroo based kibble from Zignature.

https://www.homesalive.ca/dog/food/z...ogs-13667.html

The quality is excellent and the cost is really reasonable for the quality.

Our other dogs all eat raw and do great, but if your dog has any food issues, try the kangaroo. Finding a novel protein for allergic dogs is key.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Banned

Using Fromm Gamebird for my Toller. Anything with gluten she was very unhappy...
Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciated!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I like how small his turds are compared to the whoppers he would get on Kibble.
Agreed. Really liked the small dry turds.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Been feeding my tollers raw for over ten years. Make my own from lean meat mixed with Honest Kitchen Grain Free Veggie, Nut & Seed Base Mix and salmon oil. No health issues and the dogs have never had weight issues. Agree with the observation on small, dry turds. When we're travelling we feed them Blue Buffalo grain free.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:16 PM

Orijen has been good for our Elkhound. We started with “regional” then did a mix of “regional” and “tundra” and now have settled on “fit and trim”. That is the magic one for our dog.

Coat is really nice, her weight is just right and overall healthy dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 05:21 PM

I feed my dogs hills brand dental dog food that I get from my vet. It’s cheaper than the pet store for the same or better quality food.

It’s loaded with “filler” which is really just fibre that dogs need anyway. I started on it after my smaller dog had anal gland issues. The fibre really seems to help her. Lots of poop to clean up, but that’s easier than paying vet bills.

Dogs are 11 &12 and very healthy and trim.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM

Local pet store owner introduced me to Pulsar dog food. Seems to be really good.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I have an American bulldog that is allergic to just about everything. After trying all the major top quality kibbles in all the different meats etc, the only think we have found that work is a kangaroo based kibble from Zignature.

https://www.homesalive.ca/dog/food/z...ogs-13667.html

The quality is excellent and the cost is really reasonable for the quality.

Our other dogs all eat raw and do great, but if your dog has any food issues, try the kangaroo. Finding a novel protein for allergic dogs is key.
We have 3 English Bulldogs and feed the exact same food. One has a food allergy to poultry, so to keep it easy we feed all 3 the Kangaroo. They seem to be doing great. The amount coming out the other end seems like a lot though. But 3 dogs, it can add up. We are looking to switch to a raw diet but it might be to costly. We spend about $180/month on food (2 large bags a month).
Old 08-15-2018, 07:44 PM

Seems to me the dogs on the farm when I was a younger fellow thrived eating mainly out of the chop bin in the barn. Oats, barley, wheat, and flax ground fine. Table scraps here n there. Maybe the odd dead chicken out of the hen house....

My pup is on Acana Large breed puppy food until a year old, it's got everything but the kitchen sink in it so far as i can tell. Local vet approved.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Kirkland for my 3 dogs, no issues. But what comes out the other end needs a shovel not a doggy bag
Old 08-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

I understand where your coming from as my last dog, a boxer was allergic to everything. If you have a Costco card I would look at the Kirkland brand dog foods. My dog is fed a 50/50 blend of salmon/sweat potato and organic chicken/pea formula. He loves the food and he is strong and healthy. I get sent dog food alerts when recalls happen and the number one food I’ve seen having recalls is blue buffalo and uncle Roy’s.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoePolicyAnalyst View Post
Remember seeing something in the news about this, quick google search revealed the following:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4356999/g...heart-disease/

I'd be a bit leery about it, seems that many vets are seeing problems that could be linked.

Personally, we get the Costco Kirkland brand stuff, seems to have worked pretty well for more than 10 years with our Lab/Shepherd cross as she is still very healthy for her age and we found it to have much less 'filler' than other brands. Plus, the price is very good for the quality. Not sure that is the route you are looking for, but thought I would put it out there as an option.
look into that kirkland food further. Lots of people loosing their animals due to salmonella in the kibble and costco refusing to aknowledge it. A friend of mine lost his dog and I nearly lost mine. We were feeding their back to nature line.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I tried several foods for my Drahthaar, and after not so great results with Acana, and Orijin grain free, I tried Purina Pro Sport , the chicken and rice formula. It's been about a year, and no issues at all. Plenty of energy, and he stays lean, even though I am free feeding. This food is the most popular by far with our local NAVHDA chapter, as well as with multiple breeders that I know. They also make a salmon formula.
There is a reason more of the top dogs in the country are fed Purina Pro Plan, the quality of food is far superior in general to even higher dollar foods. Pro Plan has never once had a recall on their food.

Plus its good to support a company that supports the dog community. Purina pours a ton of cash into Dog sports every year.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
There is a reason more of the top dogs in the country are fed Purina Pro Plan, the quality of food is far superior in general to even higher dollar foods. Pro Plan has never once had a recall on their food.

Plus its good to support a company that supports the dog community. Purina pours a ton of cash into Dog sports every year.
Purina is great at marketing, just like Apple, that doesn't mean their product is superior. For me, I'd never support a company that does animal testing. There are a lot of brands out there, smaller companies that have stellar foods for pets.

As for the OP, as been mentioned, unless your dog has some form of allergies or sensitivities with grains, there's really no reason to switch. This is a good place to research pet foods. Also keep in mind that vets have very little training with pet nutrition and the little they receive is sponsored by pet food companies and is biased so they can sell you their expensive "prescription" diets that have pretty much the same ingredients as Old Roy

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/frequ...oose-dog-food/
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 AM

I like to look at the results and not other dog food company can show the results Pro Plan can.

I also take websites about dog food made by a dentist with a grain of salt. Educate yourself with what your dog needs, whether he is a top athlete or a couch potato, and make your own decision.

For me its easy, one of the best foods out there for athletes, no recalls ever, and they support my sport. Im happy to spend the money on Pro Plan.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:35 PM

I went from raw to boiled with my dog. Made a world of difference. Same stuff, just spent a little bit of time on the stove. Dog really likes the broth too... Oh, and I added a teaspoon of kelp and a bit of coconut oil. Sometimes, I add a pinch of ginger.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I went from raw to boiled with my dog. Made a world of difference. Same stuff, just spent a little bit of time on the stove. Dog really likes the broth too... Oh, and I added a teaspoon of kelp and a bit of coconut oil. Sometimes, I add a pinch of ginger.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by boiled? What makes up a meal for your dog? Are you boiling a raw pattie, or just using ingredients you get from the store and boiling? Thanks
Old 08-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I like to look at the results and not other dog food company can show the results Pro Plan can.

I also take websites about dog food made by a dentist with a grain of salt. Educate yourself with what your dog needs, whether he is a top athlete or a couch potato, and make your own decision.

For me its easy, one of the best foods out there for athletes, no recalls ever, and they support my sport. Im happy to spend the money on Pro Plan.
Actually a couple of recent recalls. Even human foods get that from time to time.

"In March 2016, 5 varieties of Pro Plan wet dog food sold in tubs were recalled because of inadequate vitamin/mineral levels. Also, in summer 2013, Purina voluntarily recalled a batch of Purina ONE dog food for suspected salmonella contamination."
Old 08-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Shot an old cow, and ground her down to really coarse hamburger (5/8" grind) and put it into containers. I take out the amount of burger I think he'll eat in a day, and add a teaspoon of kelp, leftover veggies, and possibly leftover rice, (a lot of leftovers go into his food) and a bit of coconut oil, and pour the veggie water from cooking from the day over it and top up with water, then I boil it till browned and let cool. In the morning, I warm it up so the fat on the surface melts, and feed it to the dog and save the rest till supper, and repeat the warming then. I generally make sure there's a mix of meat and broth in the bowl at each feeding.

With the amount my dog eats, it takes about 2 hours in a pot to cool so he could eat it, which is why I make it the night before all the time. There might be ways to cool it faster, but I don't care to do more dishes and this works for me...

Most of the other ingredients come from the garden. Kelp is bought in bulk from UFA I think. Coconut oil from Costco. Once in a while, I"ll cook him some oatmeal.

A healthy not wasted away old cow will feed my 127+ pound growing pup for a year based on my last dog of the same breed.

Last edited by amosfella; 08-16-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Purina is great at marketing, just like Apple, that doesn't mean their product is superior. For me, I'd never support a company that does animal testing. There are a lot of brands out there, smaller companies that have stellar foods for pets.

As for the OP, as been mentioned, unless your dog has some form of allergies or sensitivities with grains, there's really no reason to switch. This is a good place to research pet foods. Also keep in mind that vets have very little training with pet nutrition and the little they receive is sponsored by pet food companies and is biased so they can sell you their expensive "prescription" diets that have pretty much the same ingredients as Old Roy

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/frequ...oose-dog-food/
Marketing doesn't mean their product is superior but many believe it is and the same thing could be said for Apple.

Dogfoodadvisor.com is well sponsored and very biased. Perhaps it is you that is buying into the marketing as most working dog forums do not take that site seriously.

As mentioned, Pro Plan is fed to more field champions that all other foods combined and has never had a recall. Purina focuses it's marketing to the pet crowd and their pet food. The Pro Plan is made for working dogs and well supported.

You Costco shoppers should read up on this company;

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10771943/n.../#.W3XSfs5Kh0w
Old 08-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Actually a couple of recent recalls. Even human foods get that from time to time.

"In March 2016, 5 varieties of Pro Plan wet dog food sold in tubs were recalled because of inadequate vitamin/mineral levels. Also, in summer 2013, Purina voluntarily recalled a batch of Purina ONE dog food for suspected salmonella contamination."
Purina has had recalls. The dry Pro Plan that professionals feed has not. Inadequate vitamin and a voluntary recall is hardly cause for concern. It could be argued that it in fact shows attention to detail. I still wouldn't fed the pet food but have no issues with feeding Pro Plan.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:

wet but never the kibble.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Marketing doesn't mean their product is superior but many believe it is and the same thing could be said for Apple.

Dogfoodadvisor.com is well sponsored and very biased. Perhaps it is you that is buying into the marketing as most working dog forums do not take that site seriously.

As mentioned, Pro Plan is fed to more field champions that all other foods combined and has never had a recall. Purina focuses it's marketing to the pet crowd and their pet food. The Pro Plan is made for working dogs and well supported.

You Costco shoppers should read up on this company;

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10771943/n.../#.W3XSfs5Kh0w
Not sure where your stats come from. Pro Plan is decently rated although a quick search through a few reviews mentions all bags should be checked first as there have been reports of insect larvae and mealworms in some bags. No recalls in the last two years since March 2015 which was a voluntary recall, so not never. It does rate highly in many reviews but is not number one for any I can see. Seems as good as many other high quality foods, but there are plenty of good alternatives.