Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-12-2024, 11:01 AM

Default Fletching jigs

I was thinking about picking up a fletching jig. I see some people going on about some of the plastic ones being ok. Cabelas has a few in stock so that equals free shipping.

Or do I just get a Bitzenburger and not have to worry about plastic junk.

It's not going to see much use. Unless I do some fletching for friends. It will be just for the boss and I. We just shoot targets. But might get into hunting in the future.

I picked up 12 arrows for myself and the shop fletched them for me. But I'd like to mess around with helical fletching.

So that means buying more metal clamps. $$$.

Most of what I've been seeing recommends left helical, but John Dudley likes right helical. So again more clamps. $$$.

What are you guys using/recommend? I don't mind buy once cry once. But I'm not rich either. I could do arrows for friends for a couple of bucks I guess?

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2024, 11:27 AM

I’ve had 4 plastic ones… I could have bought the bitz. A couple times over.
Fletching glue also likes to adhere to plastic, I sand it off but those metal clamps on the bitz would be much easier to clean up. All “real” bowhunters should be able to fletch their own arrows 😎, you’ll save a lot of money over the years.
Old 01-12-2024, 11:56 AM

Bitzenberger...if you buy a left helical clamp, use left helical fletching or left wing feathers. Fully adjustable as to how much twist you can apply. Most shops just use straight clamps but offset a couple of degrees.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:12 PM

I haven't fletcher any arrows for a long time, but of all the ones I used I like the Jo-Jan multi fletcher the best .
Cat
Old 01-12-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I haven't fletcher any arrows for a long time, but of all the ones I used I like the Jo-Jan multi fletcher the best .

Cat
The gentleman that fletched my arrows used the 6 arrow Jo Jan jig.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:17 PM

Maybe I'll get a Blitzenburger and concentrate on offset fletching for now. And worry about helical fletching later. That way I just need the straight clamp for now.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:44 PM

for the most diversity the bits or something similar is the way to go, but you do need to buy separate clamps depending on how much you want to do from what i understand. but your set for life with that little extra cash.

i have the arizona e-z fletch and like it. puts a ton of helical on it and does clean up easy with acetone. the arms come off and you lay it down and stack then wipe off if you let things build up. BUT all i can do is right helical. wich is what i wanted.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell87 View Post
for the most diversity the bits or something similar is the way to go, but you do need to buy separate clamps depending on how much you want to do from what i understand. but your set for life with that little extra cash.

i have the arizona e-z fletch and like it. puts a ton of helical on it and does clean up easy with acetone. the arms come off and you lay it down and stack then wipe off if you let things build up. BUT all i can do is right helical. wich is what i wanted.
I like how the plastic ones can do multiple vanes at once. And I did read that acetone takes care of the glue. I wouldn't have an issue just gluing one at a time with the Bitz tho.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I like how the plastic ones can do multiple vanes at once. And I did read that acetone takes care of the glue. I wouldn't have an issue just gluing one at a time with the Bitz tho.

100% i just made the point only to mention my experience. i do think the bitz is the way to go especially if your looking to try and do a little more and fine tune. i have debated buying one down the road but havnt justified the cost
Old 01-12-2024, 08:09 PM

A Bitz and feather fletching

Old 01-12-2024, 08:14 PM

BPE Pro Series Fletcher is what I have been using for a lot of years. I like it. Very easy to use and highly adjustable.
Old 01-12-2024, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
I’ve seen these a few times and I think they’re good too
Old 01-13-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
BPE Pro Series Fletcher is what I have been using for a lot of years. I like it. Very easy to use and highly adjustable.
That's a nice looking jig. Quite a bit cheaper than the Bitz

Old 01-13-2024, 09:35 AM

I have the Arizona Ez-Fletch Mini and have used it for years. Can only fletch one arrow at a time, but it's down time usually for me and never in a rush to do 6-12 arrows.

When using it, after a couple of arrows I use my finger nail to scrap off any excess glue that may have migrated over to the mini's arms. While the glue is fresh and not completely set up (less than an hour) it's real easy to scrap these glue fragments off of the arms.

The mini sets my 2.5" (up to 3.5" I believe) fletches at a helical angle. The one thing I've learned over time is to help set the fletches, once the mini is closed and the top cap slid down the arrow shaft over the mini's arms, grab the bottom of the mini and the top cap and give them opposing gentle twists (left/right twists) to help set the fletches and arms to final positions. Set arrow and fletcher standing upright for one minute while consuming a swig of Rum (or your choice of refreshment) then again remove the top cap with another set of gentle left/right twists. Slowly push then bottom of the mini's portion up to release tension on the arms, then gently pull the arms away one at a time from the arrow shaft. Remove arrow and apply a drop of glue to the front leading edge of fletch and that's it - you're done with that shaft.

If you clean and prep the shafts before hand, you won't have an issue with fletching coming off when shooting.

EDIT: I've also used this to replace a fletch when damaged. Set the arrow in the mini, close 2 arms on the existing fletches to align properly for the third/missing fletch and repeat the above instructions for the third fletch.

J.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I have the Arizona Ez-Fletch Mini and have used it for years. Can only fletch one arrow at a time, but it's down time usually for me and never in a rush to do 6-12 arrows.

When using it, after a couple of arrows I use my finger nail to scrap off any excess glue that may have migrated over to the mini's arms. While the glue is fresh and not completely set up (less than an hour) it's real easy to scrap these glue fragments off of the arms.

The mini sets my 2.5" (up to 3.5" I believe) fletches at a helical angle. The one thing I've learned over time is to help set the fletches, once the mini is closed and the top cap slid down the arrow shaft over the mini's arms, grab the bottom of the mini and the top cap and give them opposing gentle twists (left/right twists) to help set the fletches and arms to final positions. Set arrow and fletcher standing upright for one minute while consuming a swig of Rum (or your choice of refreshment) then again remove the top cap with another set of gentle left/right twists. Slowly push then bottom of the mini's portion up to release tension on the arms, then gently pull the arms away one at a time from the arrow shaft. Remove arrow and apply a drop of glue to the front leading edge of fletch and that's it - you're done with that shaft.

If you clean and prep the shafts before hand, you won't have an issue with fletching coming off when shooting.

EDIT: I've also used this to replace a fletch when damaged. Set the arrow in the mini, close 2 arms on the existing fletches to align properly for the third/missing fletch and repeat the above instructions for the third fletch.

J.
I like the idea of doing 3 vanes at a time. And like you said, the glue isn't impossible to get off. My only issue would be replacing it in a few years or so and wishing I got a metal unit. If I ever had to replace it. Maybe that would never be an issue?

And I agree that when doing 6 or 12 arrows it isn't going to take terribly long to do them anyway. Even if the jig does just 1 vane at a time.

I haven't had rum in a while. Maybe I can make it a new fletching tradition.

Old 01-14-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I like the idea of doing 3 vanes at a time. And like you said, the glue isn't impossible to get off. My only issue would be replacing it in a few years or so and wishing I got a metal unit. If I ever had to replace it. Maybe that would never be an issue?

And I agree that when doing 6 or 12 arrows it isn't going to take terribly long to do them anyway. Even if the jig does just 1 vane at a time.

I haven't had rum in a while. Maybe I can make it a new fletching tradition.

^ I can't see myself ever needing another unit, unless I wanted to switch back to vanes/fletches longer than 3.5". But I don't think I'll be going that route.

I like having a fletching unit (whichever brand - doesn't matter) because then I can make up my own arrows. I've tried various vanes, cresting and even some unconventional stuff. Some of the coolest vanes I've had were Zeon fusion Vanes that had fiber optic rails built into the vane itself, so when you shot an arrow it looked like there were 9 points of light looking back at you - easy to follow the arrow in flight for point of impact. The only problem with those vanes was that fletching time was slightly increased as you needed to be careful when pulling the mini's arms away from the shaft so that the arm didn't catch on the fiber optic rail and pull the vane away (let the glue set up for a few minutes more)

Try the new fletching tradition with your own choice of refreshment and the process may become even more enjoyable? ha ha ha...

J.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
^ I can't see myself ever needing another unit, unless I wanted to switch back to vanes/fletches longer than 3.5". But I don't think I'll be going that route.

I like having a fletching unit (whichever brand - doesn't matter) because then I can make up my own arrows. I've tried various vanes, cresting and even some unconventional stuff. Some of the coolest vanes I've had were Zeon fusion Vanes that had fiber optic rails built into the vane itself, so when you shot an arrow it looked like there were 9 points of light looking back at you - easy to follow the arrow in flight for point of impact. The only problem with those vanes was that fletching time was slightly increased as you needed to be careful when pulling the mini's arms away from the shaft so that the arm didn't catch on the fiber optic rail and pull the vane away (let the glue set up for a few minutes more)

Try the new fletching tradition with your own choice of refreshment and the process may become even more enjoyable? ha ha ha...

J.
Those vanes are pretty neat. A lot cheaper than the lighted nocks are, that's for sure.

Another issue about the plastic jigs that keeps playing in my head is not being able to glue offset vanes.

But if I have the helical setup, maybe that isn't an issue. I thought offset would be simpler to go right or left if I wanted to.

If I go helical, I'd buy right or left, and straight. And be set.

Another thing I keep thinking about is the option for gluing 4 vanes instead of 3.

Sorry, I have a habit of overthinking things. Maybe some rum would do me good

Old 01-14-2024, 11:42 AM

I've been looking at the Bohning Cauldron. It comes with straight, 1° right and left, and 3° right and left helical. Pretty much a complete kit. The only issues I see are the offset is 1° only. And it's plastic. Both of which might not be issues at all.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:43 PM

Default glue sticking to plastic vane clamps

Somewhere in the misty past I remembered reading that if you run your bow string wax lightly over the edge of the clamp then the glue doesn't bond to your clamp. Its worked for me.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antler1 View Post
Somewhere in the misty past I remembered reading that if you run your bow string wax lightly over the edge of the clamp then the glue doesn't bond to your clamp. Its worked for me.
I will have to try this trick. Thanks.

J.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:10 PM

most strings cause your arrow to go left off the hop. some do go right. shoot your bow into a target from a few yards away with a bareshaft to see, then order a bitz with the appropriate helical clamp
Old 01-16-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
most strings cause your arrow to go left off the hop. some do go right. shoot your bow into a target from a few yards away with a bareshaft to see, then order a bitz with the appropriate helical clamp
I think I'm going to save future shipping charges and just order the Bitz with the straight, right, and left helical clamps. Then I can do my arrows, the boss's arrows, and arrows for friends. Then I should be set for life.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I think I'm going to save future shipping charges and just order the Bitz with the straight, right, and left helical clamps. Then I can do my arrows, the boss's arrows, and arrows for friends. Then I should be set for life.

Wish I’d have done that very same thing. You’ll be set for life.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Wish I’d have done that very same thing. You’ll be set for life.
Well I was looking at the Bohning Cauldron kit which does everything. And 3 vanes at a time. It's plastic which would probably be ok. But you can't do 4 vanes unless you do them one at a time anyway. And I don't see the Bitz ever wearing out. Plus with shipping, and buying everything and all 3 clamps, the Bitz is only around $30 more.

But I'll have to check to see if I need another nock receiver. I believe they have one for smaller diameter arrows. I'm not sure if there's a difference between right and left.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:19 AM

the cauldron isnt great. it seems convenient and quick, but the jig is not as repeatable as a bitz.
if you want a 3 arm jig, I would reccomend an Arizona EZ Fletch.
I have both, and use the bitz for the most consistent and accurate fletching job.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:20 PM

I have my order put together. Bitz jig with right, left and straight clamps. AAE nock receiver. Glue, primer. Arrow wraps and some AAE Max Stealth vanes. I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

I'm good for arrows right now. But I'll probably be looking into those at some point.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:15 AM

My oldest piece of still used archery gear is my Bitz with a right wing clamp. Bought it from Anderson Archery in 1975. Has fletched every arrow I've used ever since from 4mm carbons to 23-15 aluminum to heavy woods. Still perfect. Truly a lifetime investment.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
My oldest piece of still used archery gear is my Bitz with a right wing clamp. Bought it from Anderson Archery in 1975. Has fletched every arrow I've used ever since from 4mm carbons to 23-15 aluminum to heavy woods. Still perfect. Truly a lifetime investment.
Have one of those Blitz Jigs also, bought it at about the same time. Bulletproof and have run an awful lot of arrow blanks through it along with redoing lost fletching. Would be lost without it.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-21-2024, 09:06 AM

Blockcarver and Lornce,
That's good to hear. Mine should be here on Thursday. I'm curious to know about changes they've made over the years. Like hash marks on the clamp possibly? Nock receiver? That's a long time to have a small functional piece of equipment.

Old 01-24-2024, 08:43 PM

Well, got around to tuning up some arrows with the mini tonight. Once the arrows were prepped, took about 20 minutes to do 4 of them.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk