Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Default Cwd testing.

Anybody else submit a head in a non mandatory wmu? I was in a wmu next to a mandatory wmu, but my deer had a messed up pedicle, so I sent it in anyways.

https://youtu.be/Xtkve_6PdY0
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 PM

I can’t be the only one who sent in a head from a non mandatory wmu, can I??
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Cwd

I submitted the heads of all deer I harvested this year, both from compulsory Zones and from WMU's far from the current known infected areas.

My thought is the extra heads allow F&W to add to their database of info and possibly find those deer that are positive while being far removed from the known areas.

The downside of doing this means it will probably delay the testing of the deer I submitted from the compulsory WMU's due to the added volume.

Phil
Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 PM

I submitted the whitetail head even though it was not a mandatory zone. Knives and saws are quarantined until test results come out. Given the amount of time it takes to get the results I take it that the government regards this as a data-gathering process rather than a public health matter.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:37 AM

I’m still waiting to hear back. It’s driving me nuts. Having all that meat in the freezer, and not knowing whether I can eat it or not. Also, after watching the podcast by Joe Rogan about cwd, I take it a lot more serious now. I sure hope mine comes back negative!!

Here’s the link to the podcast, it is a long one, but worth listening to!!

https://youtu.be/E3s6p2UP57Q
Old 12-22-2018, 03:58 PM

I sent one in from 348. Deer was acting very strange. Thought maybe it was the rut and just had his mind on does. Just seemed dumb and just seemed not a care in the world that I was standing there. Seemed very out of character looking back. Meat was rank and smell was just horrid. Not a rut smell that's forsure.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:42 PM

I submitted a head from an animal that seemed a bit too clueless but well outside the CWD zones. At first I thought it was just good luck but afterwards, it seemed like odd behaviour. The deer had some fat but less than I expected. We'll see what comes back.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkataker View Post
I sent one in from 348. Deer was acting very strange. Thought maybe it was the rut and just had his mind on does. Just seemed dumb and just seemed not a care in the world that I was standing there. Seemed very out of character looking back. Meat was rank and smell was just horrid. Not a rut smell that's forsure.
My deer was not acting strange or missing any fat, he seemed quite healthy, except for the damaged antler base on his right side. I was hunting in a wmu that is beside a mandatory submission area. I was actually surprised that this area was not added to the list of wmu’s for 2018. Fingers crossed that he comes back negative!!