Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Default What bullet

Hey folks,

I have the mid summer itch to tweak my hunting set up so I am wondering what bullet is your favourite for deer / elk? I am shooting a 30.06 so there are a wide range to choose from. Currently I am shooting federals but would be open to any brand.

Let me have them,

Morb

Last edited by Morbius131; 06-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM

For factory ammo I prefer the Federal premiums, 150gr Nosler Accubond. About $40 a box I think, only used on deer before but never had one run on me. Im using a handloaded 165gr Accubond in my 30-06 this year for Elk, will see how they do.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Default Thanks

I have heard good things about the Accubonds as well! I was also looking at the trophy bonded tip bullets or tipped triple shocks in 165 gr. I am aware most bullets will do for deer but you want to make sure you have something trusted with elk.

Morb
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM

anything in the 165 range that shoots well in your rifle.
I prefer bonded or monolithic bullets

Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 PM

Personally, my favourite bullet for deer/elk; Nosler ballistic tip and e-tip...always had consistent reliability/performance with these bullets...
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 PM

Can't go wrong with the classics!

Nosler Partitions, also Hornady Interbonds are a good hunting bullet. Also the Barnes TTSX are devastating on game and are lead free.

My rifle loves the Sierra Game kings so I think that will be my bullet of choice for this year
Old 06-14-2013, 06:55 AM

Default Handloading

I like the 180 gr Barnes ttsx for elk and am going to give either Nosler Ballistic Tip 180 gr or Nosler Accubond 168 gr or Nosler Ballistic Silvertip 168 gr a go for deer.

I used the factory Barnes 180 gr ttsx and it went clean through an elk at 487 yards. For this reason I am using a bullet that expands more on smaller game and thinner skinned game like deer, but, am sticking with the ttsx for elk.

Only complaint about the ttsx is it fouls the barrel pretty good with relatively few through the chamber (with 5 rounds through the chamber I could notice a difference). That was enough to sight in and to get my critter.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
I have heard good things about the Accubonds as well! I was also looking at the trophy bonded tip bullets or tipped triple shocks in 165 gr. I am aware most bullets will do for deer but you want to make sure you have something trusted with elk.

Morb
DING! DING! DING! There's your winner right there. If you are thinking elk I love both of these options.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post
I like the 180 gr Barnes ttsx for elk and am going to give either Nosler Ballistic Tip 180 gr or Nosler Accubond 168 gr or Nosler Ballistic Silvertip 168 gr a go for deer.

I used the factory Barnes 180 gr ttsx and it went clean through an elk at 487 yards. For this reason I am using a bullet that expands more on smaller game and thinner skinned game like deer, but, am sticking with the ttsx for elk.

Only complaint about the ttsx is it fouls the barrel pretty good with relatively few through the chamber (with 5 rounds through the chamber I could notice a difference). That was enough to sight in and to get my critter.
Due to the relief rings cut on the TSX and TTSX it actually fouls less than other bullets. They also open up to their expanded diameter( 2x+ of the original diameter) very rapidly so you won't have to worry about them not expanding.
I think if they worked well for you then don't bother with different ammo and re sighting your rifle. Pick the one that shoots good and kill everything with it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Default bullet choice

Many previous posters have mentioned many different loads and bullet choices! Placement of your shot is much more important than the bullet you choose. When I was young and could give a half decent effort to chasing elk I used Nosler Partitions. Nowadays I've switched to Accubonds but haven't found an elk myself. My guys tell me they work very well though. No need for all these fancy bullets though. The Hornady Interlocks, and the new Speer Deep Curl are two economical choices you could try! The old Speer Hot core flat base will make quick work of your game also. Sierra's Pro Hunter's shoot awesome as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Winchester XP3's or Barnes Triple Shocks get my vote. I shoot 180's and I've got no complaints.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Have shot Federal Premium 180 gr Nosler Partitions out of my 30-06 for years and been happy with them.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post

Morb
If you like the trophy bonded tip I notice they have two versions of the 180g. One is a normal one while the other is some sort of High Energy version that produces velocity and energy approaching more of a magnum round. 2880 fps at muzzle instead of the usual 2700. Strange though that they don't rate it for heavy game.....

I just picked up some Hornady Superformance 165g Interbonds for my new -06. The stats on paper look amazing. Pretty similar to usual 7mm Rem Mag performance. We will see if they actually shoot.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 AM

165gr Barnes triple shock. It has been the best through my 30-06. I have also used the hornady SST's but the are quite a bit more explosive and damaging.