Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Lol oh your so up tight . Its a joke . The rc's didnt press any charges in high river that im aware of . lol im suggesting the men on the ground are being hung out to dry over a minor amount of the firearms secured in HR that fall out of the "normal " search area ie second sweep unaffected areas. Imo out of 4000 searches that will be a small number.
Well let's just trample a few more rights while we're at it. Doesn't much matter hey? Greater good hey, hey?

Last edited by Kanonfodder; 02-12-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I assure you, gentlemen ... this class-action lawsuit is 'not' about money! If you have been following this story (The RCMP High River Gun-Grab), you will know that it's about something far bigger, and much more important, than a wad of cash.

Mac
Amen to that Mac loud
Old 02-12-2015, 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=pseelk;2733866]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Than why steal the guns?they should know they were breaking the law.What has stealing guns got to do with saving lives.They had the town locked down.I guess they were the only ones that could steal them.The report says they broke the law and the lawsuit will make them pay and allow the world to see what kind of police state the top brass are trying to turn this country into.
Kind of hurts to see FGs words under my Name...lol Not sure why thats happening.

and now I"m quoting FG instead of the actual poster.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Its funny that the cps didn't go around kicking in doors and they didn't take any rifles ..and they evacuated thousands of people .. oh by the way the military saw what the rcmp where doing with dnd battering rams so 5hey took them away from them .
CPS obviously had no regard for public safety.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
Well let's just trample a few more rights while we're at it. Doesn't much matter hey? Greater good hey, hey? Hey? Hey? Ban got your tongue?
He's busy finding a new bridge to live under.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Banned

Default Let us Help the Lawyers

If you can help the law firm of Docken and Klym in any way please contact them.

http://www.docken.com/
Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Hines View Post
I know it probably feels like an invasion of privacy but I'd rather it be them than someone sneaking around looting houses.

I don't know much about the situation, did the residents who had firearms taken get all their guns back? If they did then whatever who cares. If they didn't then ya, sue them and get your stuff back.

I know people are all in a tizzy about this but personally I would rather the R.C.M.P. go into my evacuated house and take my guns than have some looter do it, even if the chances of my place getting looted were 1%.
Please paste that to your front door, I expect my rights to be upheld

[QUOTE=fish gunner;2733821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post

I fully agree with a warrant less searchs in a town with the courthouse under 6' of river with the water rising. When saving lives is the object of 4000 searches.
The water had receded by the following day..... how's the fishing?

Quote:
Well let's just trample a few more rights while we're at it. Doesn't much matter hey? Greater good hey, hey?
We would be in jail for doing what the powers in High River did

To the cops that entered my 70+ year old moms house..... what did you hope to find in her dresser drawers?????

I can go on and on about the crap that was and still is High River, we are still there and will be for some time yet, but anyone that defends the sheer level, of incompetence and crap that took place does not deserve to be an Albertan
Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
MacLeod is right, it's about our fundamental right to be free from illegal search and seizure. Once authorities are allowed to disregard this fundamental right without suffering serious consequences, the right effectively disappears.

I want to preserve a free society, not live in an oppressed society.
Absolutely!!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
It depends if they sue the RCMP as an organization, or if the individual officers involved are the only ones named... I would say that doing the latter would be more prudent... Might actually get more names coughed up to lessen the blow on themselves...
It won't be the officers at fault , it will be the one who gave them the order
Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levigne25 View Post
Yes it matters who gave the order, But they as individuals swore to up hold the law.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Banned

Greatest thread in a looooooooong time, fishgunner is banned, it appears there is a slight silver lining to the High River fiasco.

Bring on the class action suits, get some of those lying, law breaking RCMP into court, and then watch the "blue wall" start to crumble.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:18 PM

Looks like it was a fun afternoon in here.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM

some of us are about to go off shift.
Can you cover us till the morning?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:58 PM

Heh heh heh, just checking in.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
some of us are about to go off shift.
Can you cover us till the morning?
Maybe
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
He's busy finding a new bridge to live under.
NM.. duplicate
Old 02-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Banned

Default .

Actually l think the cops did them a service , there were lots of punks waiting around to loot the homes , and l,m sure they had guns on their mind , so the cops decided its better that they have them then the Hoods , at least they will get them back from the cops , l know l would sooner have the cops hold them for me instead of being stolen by crooks
Also the owners could have made other arrangements to take the guns out of the homes , relatives , friends etc.
l think the whole thing will be thrown out of court on that basis.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepete View Post
Actually l think the cops did them a service , there were lots of punks waiting around to loot the homes , and l,m sure they had guns on their mind , so the cops decided its better that they have them then the Hoods , at least they will get them back from the cops , l know l would sooner have the cops hold them for me instead of being stolen by crooks
Also the owners could have made other arrangements to take the guns out of the homes , relatives , friends etc.
So if the cops decide society is better off with a certain person dead, would you be okay with them executing that person without due process?

Never mind, I believe I know what your answer will be.

For the rest of us, it's all about due process, the rule of law, a level playing field, for everyone. No one should be above the law, no you, not me, not the RCMP and not politicians.
I know that's not the way things work now, but that is the way they must work in the near future if this country is to survive.

History shows us that when the leaders in any society or country place themselves above the law, that society or country will eventually self distruct.

Make no mistake, this could not happen without the consent if not the outright command of those who call themselves our leaders.

Honestly, if Ottowa did not condone this sort of behaviour they have the power and authority to bring those responsable to justice.
The FACT that it hasn't been done, a long time ago proves that our leaders at the very least, condone this behaviour.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-13-2015, 01:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by levigne25 View Post
Nuremberg?

You can't hide behind orders.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Nuremberg?

You can't hide behind orders.
Hey agents

I am in agreement here that RCMP overstepped their boundaries. Absolutely illegal search and seizure and they should be held responsible.

What I can't I agree with is the comparison of the orders in High River to the orders to the subordinates involved in Nuremberg. I think that is a real stretch.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Very interesting viewpoint. I don't believe many had the time to grab much when the water came knocking.
I'm curious about the non gun owners that had extensive damage done to their homes due to the 'search for safety of human life'.
Did insurance cover all of that side of the equation? What ended up happening from Slave Lake? Can they get in on a similar class type action? Is there a statute of limitations on wrongful entry?

Odd that this is a topic entered as first post. (insert picture of pot stirrer here)
Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Welcome to AO new guy!
So the best way for the police to keep bad guys from stealing guns, is to take them all away?
Maybe they should take everyone's cars away to prevent traffic accidents.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle30 View Post
Hey agents

I am in agreement here that RCMP overstepped their boundaries. Absolutely illegal search and seizure and they should be held responsible.

What I can't I agree with is the comparison of the orders in High River to the orders to the subordinates involved in Nuremberg. I think that is a real stretch.
x10000000000000000000

There needs to be some relativity to the comparisons being made here. Comparing the HR seizure to the execution of Jews and Police targeting and excuting civilans is ridiculous.

Every day in Canadian Courts hundreds for search and seizures are argued during "Voir Dire" to determine whether the Officers had sufficient grounds. In many drug, firearms, and other criminal cases the search and seizures are found to be unjust and charges are wihdrawn. Where in these cases are the public demands for Police to charged with theft.

The police deal with criminal investigation everyday and they still get it wrong sometimes. Here they are dealing with a situation that many may have never been involved in and the last time they deal with a situation of this magnitude was the slave lake fires. The enquiry revealed there was some error but it also revealed they did some good things too. Like I said in the Carbine thread, if they ignore the recommendations and go about business as usual then there is real problem. I for one don't think that will not happen and there will be significant change to address each recommendation.

But

What I refuse to believe is that any Member, Constable or Commission Officer(Brass), went to Slave lake or High River with an intention to further distress the residence or commit criminal offences.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:06 AM

"What I refuse to believe is that any Member, Constable or Commission Officer(Brass), went to Slave lake or High River with an intention to further distress the residence or commit criminal offences."

Doesn't matter that they did not intend to break the law.
Whole point is that they did! They should be held accountable.

norwestalta

LC

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Default Latest Sun Endeavor

Business as usual .

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/02/13...s-nowhere--yet
Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Everyone is responsible for their own actions. If you are given an unlawful order it is your duty to refuse to follow it. "I was just following orders" is not a defence. It didn't work in Nuremberg and it's not a reasonable explanation for what happened in High River.

I doubt that any members of the RCMP will be charged with anything though.

But you are making the assumption that the street level RCMP knew it was an unlawful order! Have you ever worked in a paramilitary organization hunter Dave? It's not always simple to say screw your order! Threats of suspension, job loss or transfers are thrown around! But I am not agreeing with the actions taken! If it were my property I would be irate as well

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
So if the cops decide society is better off with a certain person dead, would you be okay with them executing that person without due process?

Never mind, I believe I know what your answer will be.

For the rest of us, it's all about due process, the rule of law, a level playing field, for everyone. No one should be above the law, no you, not me, not the RCMP and not politicians.
I know that's not the way things work now, but that is the way they must work in the near future if this country is to survive.

History shows us that when the leaders in any society or country place themselves above the law, that society or country will eventually self distruct.

Make no mistake, this could not happen without the consent if not the outright command of those who call themselves our leaders.

Honestly, if Ottowa did not condone this sort of behaviour they have the power and authority to bring those responsable to justice.
The FACT that it hasn't been done, a long time ago proves that our leaders at the very least, condone this behaviour.
Keg sums it up it.
Just have any crook breaking the law tell a judge they did not know the law. See how far that gets them.

norwestalta

LC

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I know it probably feels like an invasion of privacy but I'd rather it be them than someone sneaking around looting houses.

I don't know much about the situation, did the residents who had firearms taken get all their guns back? If they did then whatever who cares. If they didn't then ya, sue them and get your stuff back.

I know people are all in a tizzy about this but personally I would rather the R.C.M.P. go into my evacuated house and take my guns than have some looter do it, even if the chances of my place getting looted were 1%.

Are you going to leave your house today?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
There needs to be some relativity to the comparisons being made here. Comparing the HR seizure to the execution of Jews and Police targeting and excuting civilans is ridiculous.
Pretty sure the poster never suggested the scale of the rights violation was equal.

The Charter does not prioritize human rights. The right to life is right up there with the right to be secure of person - and against unreasonable search and seizure.

A Charter right is a Charter Right. Those rights were violated as revealed by this report.

The comparison is suggested between RCMP following orders and Hitler's troops because the argument "just following orders" was krap then - as it is now. A man deserving of respect, takes responsibility for his actions, and for the actions of his colleagues.

If our front line RCMP officers can not take responsibility for their errors, they need to fire them and find new RCMP officers that are man enough to stand up to what is wrong, proud enough to admit they made a mistake & principled enough to accept the consequences of their actions.

Quote:
Like I said in the Carbine thread, if they ignore the recommendations and go about business as usual then there is real problem.
I am glad you have now realized this is a serious problem that needs to be corrected.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:

While they're at it make sure they remove and document all of your other valuables, such as jewelry, cameras, art, your garage full of tools, your electronics and computer. We'll have to requisition that every detachment recieve an amphibious moving truck and plenty of packing supplies as well. Every officer will also all be trained by museum curators in the art of white-gloved materials handling & preservation. To be safe, before they move our computers it would only make sense that they brought a bunch of back up hard drives and had their IT staff make copies too. Leave no stone unturned!