Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Lake Koocanusa Lots

Been tossing around the idea of a rv/cabin lot for some time now and stumbled upon a kijiji listing for Montana Wild Resort. At first glance it looked quite interesting on the ad and the website. But not being familiar with the area I’m turning to the AO family for input.

Anybody willing to share some knowledge of the area? The lake? Or experience with this particular developer? Pm’s Welcome.

Planning to drive down there next week to check it out. Until then it’s online research....
Old 08-15-2019, 01:32 PM

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle38061593/

Grizz
Old 08-15-2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Maybe B.C fighting back with all the oil commotion going on and frustration from Albertan's towards BC people?
Old 08-16-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
Maybe B.C fighting back with all the oil commotion going on and frustration from Albertan's towards BC people?
The OP is talking about buying in MT, not BC.

Great area but I wouldn't know anything about the developer.

http://www.montanawildresort.com/
Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

And my comment was on the article posted by Grizzly......
Old 08-16-2019, 07:48 AM

Libby is a great area for sure, it's also a bit cheaper than Eureka since it sees less traffic (I feel bad for how busy Steins is in Eureka sometimes, but I guess you want to be busy as a business!!)

Rosaurs in Libby has way better selections on food etc too.

My parents have had land down there for a few years, we go down that way quite a bit. Dry and Hot, lots of sandy beaches. Make sure you have a propane fire pit!

As to that article that Grizzly posted... in the fifth paragraph;
"The new tax would be imposed on Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, the Vancouver Island regions of Victoria and Nanaimo and the municipalities of Kelowna and West Kelowna in the Interior."

The speculation tax was targeted at hopefulyl freeing up space for rentals and to try to cool down the real estate market in certain areas where its been ridiculous for the last few years. Not sure if it had any effect - don't really care if it had any effect either! The hippies out there can suffer through their real estate woes for all I care.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Been tossing around the idea of a rv/cabin lot for some time now and stumbled upon a kijiji listing for Montana Wild Resort. At first glance it looked quite interesting on the ad and the website. But not being familiar with the area I’m turning to the AO family for input.

Anybody willing to share some knowledge of the area? The lake? Or experience with this particular developer? Pm’s Welcome.

Planning to drive down there next week to check it out. Until then it’s online research....
Looked at Montana Wild a year ago and it added another hour to the drive. (I am from Okotoks); didn't have power - off grid system of solar, generator, etc

We have been looking for 5 yrs in Canada mainly BC however came across several gems in the Montana area - Mariners Haven, Indian Springs, Glen Lake, Wilderness Club - had a real difficult time choosing. We purchased 2 acres just north of Eureka in May...absolutely love it.

I don't know your situation...RV spot, want a cabin, etc but Kijiji is where I started - use Koocanusa and alberta in search bar. I also used www.beinmontana.com
Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 AM

Before I bought any property in the USA, I would do my home work on any possible tax related agreements or implications with the USA and Canada....

Both countries have long arms, so just be mindful.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...r-us-property/

https://www.google.ca/search?biw=134...4dUDCAo&uact=5

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
Libby is a great area for sure, it's also a bit cheaper than Eureka since it sees less traffic (I feel bad for how busy Steins is in Eureka sometimes, but I guess you want to be busy as a business!!)

My parents have had land down there for a few years, we go down that way quite a bit. Dry and Hot, lots of sandy beaches. Make sure you have a propane fire pit!

"The new tax would be imposed on Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, the Vancouver Island regions of Victoria and Nanaimo and the municipalities of Kelowna and West Kelowna in the Interior."

The speculation tax was targeted at hopefulyl freeing up space for rentals and to try to cool down the real estate market in certain areas where its been ridiculous for the last few years. Not sure if it had any effect - don't really care if it had any effect either! The hippies out there can suffer through their real estate woes for all I care.

Haha Libby is cheaper because of the old asbestos mine and the hundreds if not thousands of people who have gotten cancer from The past 50 years.... not to mention a fair amount of anti govt sovereign types that inhabit the area.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

last time I checked, Lake Kookanoosa was in BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Koocanusa

Grizz
Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Grizz
It splits the border. 48miles are in Montana and 42 in B.C... far from all in one province or state
Old 08-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Come on Grizz...I took you for a smarter guy than that..Unless you were being sarcastic since the USA controls the flow from Canada through Libby dam.

To the OP, there are several properties for sale around Eureka. Depends on if you want lake front or not. We have a cabin off Theriault creek road maybe 5 miles South of Town. There are several 3 acre properties located in our loop at Aspenglen road ready to build on. Electric is set up already, propane can be set up and I assume a well would need to be dug if purchased. Last time I looked, the lots were going for around $80G but I am sure that would be negotiable....

Keep in mind when you are driving from Okotoks, it is an extra hour long drive to Libby from the border. We come from Mahogany and reach our cabin within 4 hours. You would be looking at at least an extra hour of driving.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post

Steins is pretty much CDN prices, less dairy, tobacco and alcohol...LOL
Pretty much all there prices in the meat department are huge....

Just a quick note, if you tend to eat chicken when going across the border, bring it from home. There chicken is horrible...
Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM

Be careful if the lots are lake front. If you like boating and enjoy being on the water and that is the only way to beat the heat down there. Kocanusa lake level fluctuates allot there are years that you can not even launch a boat in late July
Cabin on reservoirs in my opinion are not worth it.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Steins is pretty much CDN prices, less dairy, tobacco and alcohol...LOL
Pretty much all there prices in the meat department are huge....

Just a quick note, if you tend to eat chicken when going across the border, bring it from home. There chicken is horrible...
True story. The chicken is terrible. And HUGE! What are they feeding those things?!
Old 08-18-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
True story. The chicken is terrible. And HUGE! What are they feeding those things?!
LOL...They are huge but the taste is ****..