Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Feeling old?

Next time you think you are so old and so wise be reminded of this man and his life. We are all young pups.

The ancient face of John Smith (Ga-Be-Nah-Gewn-Wonce), a Chippewa Indian who lived in Minnesota, and was reputed to have been 137 years old at his death in about 1920. He often recalled the days when he was a scout for the Chippewas in the wars with the Sioux and also remembered events of the War of 1812. Photo taken in c.1912 when he was 128 or 129.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheif.jpg (39.6 KB, 328 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Respect
Old 08-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Gone Hunting

My mother is 97 this summer.

I'd be content if I make it another 20 years, with the strength and mental capacity to go fishing when I want to.

Beyond that, I don't think I'll have any reason to want to remain on this planet.

The way I see it, by then the fish will be all gone, except for the stocked lakes and ponds, and the young women won't be interested in an old codger like me and the ladies my age won't be interested in anything more then a companion. So there won't be anything left that I like to do. Time to move on then.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-14-2019, 06:18 PM

I have a good indicator of my potential longevity in my WWII veteran great uncle who is still alive at 95. I happen to be a dead-ringer for him so I hope that I enjoy a similarly long life, perhaps I might even have a smidge more potential as I've never smoked (I think he quit in the 1970's as I don't really recall him being a smoker) and I barely drink (he had a problem with that for a spell but overcame it and he's not fallen back into the habit).
Old 08-14-2019, 06:20 PM

I am going to do everything I can to give up my good habits, start drinking, smoking, doing drugs, eat bad food. Everyone healthy I knew died young, or has cancer. The ones that treat their bodies like amusement parks seem to live the longest, and don't get cancer. (bad news day)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-14-2019, 06:25 PM

For about 15 years when I worked with my Dad one of my most regular customers were the various Extendicare seniors homes in Calgary, I don't plan on spending any more time in one of those unless they need repair work.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 PM

Thumbs up

That a face with lots of character.... national geographic material
Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 PM

Grizz
Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quality of the life you live for ever how long is the most important thing.
The gift of giving and helping others and the joy and feeling of satisfaction of
making someone else happy in some way, even be it a small thing.
Is a simple, money free, event you make happen (or not) in your lifetime
if and when you chose to do so.

Some of us have found that the most fun and rewording times in our lives have
been these times. Sometimes moments and time spent, small talks ect.

Sometimes the little things mean a lot. :-)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 PM

He was actually in his 90s when he passed away

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John...hippewa_Indian)

Still a heck of a run!
Old 08-14-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
He was actually in his 90s when he passed away

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John...hippewa_Indian)

Still a heck of a run!
Thank you for clarifying this. I did question his age too. I know there were people who have lived to 116 or so I thought maybe this was accurate. The website I read this on was quite reputable with nothing to gain from falsifying information. Was a history site. Now I will wonder about all websites and do research before I post.

John's face definitely shows 90 years of outdoor living.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2019, 02:23 AM

And then there's this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beastie boys.jpg (46.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Banned

Default Longevity

I went to an 80 year-olds birthday party, I think he was in his early eighties. He displayed no ailments or other age related symptoms. He was a vibrant man you would assume to be in his late sixties. He never married.
Of course the repeated question about how he maintained his vitality. His answer was prophetic to some, but the women in attendance were lawyers, doctors etc.
His answer to a wonderful life: You're only as old as the women you feel !
Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 PM

Anytime someone says "you're only as old as you fell", I tell them to F'off!

Thanks Grizz, I needed that

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am going to do everything I can to give up my good habits, start drinking, smoking, doing drugs, eat bad food. Everyone healthy I knew died young, or has cancer. The ones that treat their bodies like amusement parks seem to live the longest, and don't get cancer. (bad news day)

I always knew alcohol was an anti-carcinogen!
Old 08-16-2019, 06:44 AM

A friend of mine sent me the song and video from Toby Keith and Clint Eastwood "Don't Let The Old Man In". Google it and play the video it's fantastic!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Banned

Yup, age is such a crap shoot.
The owner of the garage I deal with still goes to work every day...not as manager/owner (which he is) but as a mechanic. He is considered to be one of the best race engine builders (sports car racing) in Western Canada.
He is regularly on his back on a creeper under a car.
He's 87!!!
I'm hoping to be able to handle my pablum by myself at that age
Old 08-16-2019, 02:31 PM

Watched this interview from 1977... of a 108 year old gal that was born in 1868. She talks more about the Victorian era but her last question was "What has changed in your lifetime?" Her reply is priceless.... "!!Everything! Nothing is the same! Everything has changed!"
https://www.facebook.com/RankerAnato...zE1MTk2MzQ2OA/

My kid's great grandmother lived to 106. She was full of life until she hit her very late 90's.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Seems to be some truth in that. I knew a guy that was a heavy whiskey drinker, risk taker and carouser for at least 60 years. He started slowing down in this late 80's and lived to his mid 90's.

Look at the men that are in their 90's and they grew up in times of feast, famine, frost, and no services to help. In their lifetimes they ate all the things we aren't supposed to eat, froze in winter and later many drank whiskey to ease the memories of two world wars.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:54 PM

I talked to my bank the other day, they won’t let me die till I’m at least 87. Life is good, those banks sure look out for a guy.