Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2019, 06:37 PM

One thought that crossed my mind was how such people have total disregard for the police, but might step in line when told how things work by people wearing full patch vests . Then I thought of just hosting a huge party open to all AO'ers. Just make camo part of the dress code and be sure that buddy sees everyone. Dress code: menacing

A long time ago a buddy worked as a bartender and one of his female co-workers was getting harassed for a while by a really weird and persistent loser. Various things were attempted to get the loser to back off to no avail. It happened that some HA were regulars at the bar and once they heard of the woman's plight of being stalked by the weirdo, the weirdo suddenly and inexplicably ceased contact with her forever. As much as I resent them for their criminal lifestyles, every now and then biker gangs serve a purpose
Old 08-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Smile Rose bushes are nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Wife and I filled out a report at the local rcmp this afternoon, when I told them my address they knew exactly who I was talking about. All they would tell me is that he’s well known.
That is not a good sign.
I know of a similar situation years ago in small town Alberta; guy was well known to the local RCMP detachment, threats, assaults, etc. Funny thing is, they could never manage to show up at the scene when he was causing trouble, including drunk driving. Amazed me how he could seemingly disappear in a cloud of diesel smoke.
Put up cameras, document everything, and watch your back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg annoying-neighbors-bad-neighbors.jpg (75.0 KB, 249 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Wife and I filled out a report at the local rcmp this afternoon, when I told them my address they knew exactly who I was talking about. All they would tell me is that he’s well known.
And they will do notihng until it's to late. If you can buy a go pro camera. Record all interactions with him and the RCMP. Proof is in the pudding.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 08-04-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
He threatened you, only one response for that, call the cops, might just discourage him from following up.

Grizz
My choice for sure. Cover your back show him you can be as important as he is..

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Banned

Whatever bylaws say, probably fine to start at 7am till 11pm.

My mower occasions works its blade loose and it gets real loud lol I'd be half tempted to loosen it myself to get him ****ed off. Maybe I'd even let the dogs bark while I'm at it, rev my V8 a bunch after too.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Next Sunday have a block party with a Sunday brunch. Don’t invite him. Hire a live band and have a street dance! Maybe get an AC/DC tribute band.

Just sayin

BW
Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 PM

Straight pipe Harley for your summer commuter vehicle.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:55 PM

You did the right thing, make your report and go about your business. Put those kind on ignore.. We are surrounded with so many intelligent individuals!!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
X2

As far as you needing tires and a paint job???? Lol

I guess you could tell him that once he is done recovering at the Glenrose, he can come over and check out the new paint job!!
lol love it ...
Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Maybe he had a crappy night shift and just didn’t handle it very well. Maybe he was up all night with a sick friend or relative and just didn’t handle it very well. Maybe he’s your neighbor and you should just talk to him instead of having a bunch of internet guys blast him for fun.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Maybe he had a crappy night shift and just didn’t handle it very well. Maybe he was up all night with a sick friend or relative and just didn’t handle it very well. Maybe he’s your neighbor and you should just talk to him instead of having a bunch of internet guys blast him for fun.
Or maybe he just thinks it's his world and we all live in it? Maybe the OP should talk to his neighbor in the kind, friendly and welcoming way his neighbor first talked to him with?

You get what you give and if his neighbor had half the issues you brought up, he's had plenty of time to think about what he said and come back and apologize for it if he had any kind of character at all.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:32 PM

Looks like a crime to me. Odd the RCMP didn't pursue it.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...ion-264.1.html
Old 08-05-2019, 08:17 AM

Legally you were good to go. Maybe he’s one of those guys who works shift work and 4 hours of sleep just wasn’t quite enough, some of us know what its like working late. Maybe you should find out if that’s the case and cut guy guy a little slack.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 AM

We start compressors and generators to build in residential areas all the time. 7:00am start.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
It happened that some HA were regulars at the bar and once they heard of the woman's plight of being stalked by the weirdo, the weirdo suddenly and inexplicably ceased contact with her forever. As much as I resent them for their criminal lifestyles, every now and then biker gangs serve a purpose
Would it have been considered community service?
Old 08-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Legally you were good to go. Maybe he’s one of those guys who works shift work and 4 hours of sleep just wasn’t quite enough, some of us know what its like working late. Maybe you should find out if that’s the case and cut guy guy a little slack.
So the world should revolve around this guy's shift work time table? Perhaps the shift worker should take responsibility to take measures to ensure a proper amount of rest. Sleep with ear plugs, sleep in the basement, figure it out.

It just a tad entitled to think you can ream out your neighbor for doing nothing more than doing a normal summer activity at a normal, reasonable time.

Cranky neighbor also seems to have a bit of a reputation from what's been posted here so I highly doubt this is a "one off" bad day/night issue that he deserves to have some slack cut on.

Last edited by YYC338; 08-05-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Unlikely, as the when the OP spoke to the RCMP he was told that the guy was well know to them.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Next time you see him, apologize, and ask him what time he would find it acceptable to start mowing the lawn.
Not because you're sorry, or because you care, but I want to know what he'd actually say.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Totally understandable that the fellow may have an odd work shift or the like, but there is a huge difference between approaching your new neighbour with a beer or coffee or whatever and striking up a friendly conversation where you can explain you work late nights and that an afternoon mow versus a morning mow would be greatly appreciated instead of coming unglued and your first interaction becomes one of threats of vandalism or violence.

When we lived in town, our property was a corner one, and my wife who panics about parallel parking liked to just back up to the closest spot to the corner. The family across the street had 4 people living there who all drove plus a couple project cars. Nice people but used up a lot of the street for parking. One day one of the cars started always being parked at the corner in front of my house where my wife liked to park. After about a week of it becoming regular I went and grabbed a $10 Timmies card and wrote a quick note explaining why I would appreciate that spot being left for my wife and asked if they would kindly park behind my vehicle instead and in thanks I would like to buy them a few coffees in appreciation for their understanding. Low and behold, they did as I hoped they would and started parking behind my truck instead, and as a bonus I would come out and find my sidewalk shovelled occasionally by there teenage son and offers of help carrying heavy items into the house etc.

It really takes so little to make friendly neighbours but it also is just as easy to make bad ones. People like the OP’s neighbour make me shake my head, but it still could be worth a little effort to smooth the way in the long term. If not, at least you can say you tried before having to resort to a certain future of neighbourhood issues.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 AM

10 am is except able for noise and I would not be too friendly with anyone who came up threatening me for mowing the lawn at that time. If the guy just got off nights and asked respectfully if I could delay mowing the lawn to let him sleep I would have no issues with that

Sounds like you and the neighbor need to sort things how you go about it is up to you
Old 08-05-2019, 10:50 AM

The old, neighbour from Hell trick.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Honestly I would likely ask if they were his teeth or dentures. Depending on his answer I would then tell him they won't grow back, and that dentures are very expensive.
Then I would walk him briskly off the property and give him the option of getting home under his own power.
Depending on how ignorant he was, of course.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Totally understandable that the fellow may have an odd work shift or the like, but there is a huge difference between approaching your new neighbour with a beer or coffee or whatever and striking up a friendly conversation where you can explain you work late nights and that an afternoon mow versus a morning mow would be greatly appreciated instead of coming unglued and your first interaction becomes one of threats of vandalism or violence.

When we lived in town, our property was a corner one, and my wife who panics about parallel parking liked to just back up to the closest spot to the corner. The family across the street had 4 people living there who all drove plus a couple project cars. Nice people but used up a lot of the street for parking. One day one of the cars started always being parked at the corner in front of my house where my wife liked to park. After about a week of it becoming regular I went and grabbed a $10 Timmies card and wrote a quick note explaining why I would appreciate that spot being left for my wife and asked if they would kindly park behind my vehicle instead and in thanks I would like to buy them a few coffees in appreciation for their understanding. Low and behold, they did as I hoped they would and started parking behind my truck instead, and as a bonus I would come out and find my sidewalk shovelled occasionally by there teenage son and offers of help carrying heavy items into the house etc.

It really takes so little to make friendly neighbours but it also is just as easy to make bad ones. People like the OP’s neighbour make me shake my head, but it still could be worth a little effort to smooth the way in the long term. If not, at least you can say you tried before having to resort to a certain future of neighbourhood issues.
This is one of the best posts here...ever. If more people would take this attitude the world would be better place.
Of course I understand that in this particular case (OP) it probable ain't going to work, but over the years there have been a lot of post here about problem neighbors where a bit of understanding and some pleasant dialogue would have solved the issue right from the beginning.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
This is one of the best posts here...ever. If more people would take this attitude the world would be better place.
Of course I understand that in this particular case (OP) it probable ain't going to work, but over the years there have been a lot of post here about problem neighbors where a bit of understanding and some pleasant dialogue would have solved the issue right from the beginning.
I agree. Great reply.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Good call, want to start that paper trail!
Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
If a guy came out yelling and screaming for making noise at that hour I can't say I'd be too quick to try to talk it out nicely either.

Maybe now that you've cooled down Skoal you could go knock on his door and find out if he had a good reason for sleeping at that hour. Sounds like he's probly a POS and it won't make a difference but you never know til you try. I hate warring with ignorant neighbours.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Good call to get that trail started in case there's future issues that can't be resolved without your neighbour being such a rude piece of dirt. I. Sure we have all had a bad neighbour from time to time..or maybe we were even the bad neighbour at one time..either way, I'm glad your protecting your piece of mind early, don't let the bad guy win this one...maybe it's time to contact other neighbours to see if he is the same pos to them as he is to you...
Good luck in your future dealings
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 PM

I guess it depends on what type of guy you are. This would dictate your actions. If you're pretty civil, definitely keep the rcmp involved with everything that happens. This all ads up in your defense. Or you can see this as a threat and self defense the teeth and crap out of him. Again keeping the rcmp updated with everything that happens. Either way I'd treat him as any other neigbour and wait until 9 or so to cut my lawn. No need to start at 7 just to be a jerk, but don't get pushed around and start after noon. Lots of nights I go without much sleep. Up early, work late, new born boy... I get woken up out of my beauty sleep all the time, you can tell by how I look lol. Either way I'm usually never an a@#hole about it. Be the bigger man that's respectable but also won't get pushed around. He will realise his bark isn't bothering you and he just looks like an idiot.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:13 PM

8:00 AM and I’d have a hard time being annoyed if it was 7:00 AM. 10:45 is ridiculous. As my grandfather used to say, “people die in bed”.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Get a few guys together to look like a camera crew and start cutting the grass at 10 am. Be very visible. Hopefully the neighbor comes out aggressively and you can explain to him that you are filming an episode of "Fear Thy Neighbor" for the Investigative Discovery channel. Tell the neighbor you'll let him know when the episode will be aired.

Sell the gas powered mower and tell the neighbor he owes half for your new riding electric lawn mower.

I too agree that an offering of a beverage and a conversation would be the best outcome to understand this neighbor and his anger & reasoning. Be proactive rather than reactive. If the guy is deemed unreasonable then it's time to build an 8 foot fence along the property line.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets