Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Default Defending yourself, family,and property

For all who feel strongly that Defending yourself,family and property against criminal acts or loss, I have come across a fantastic book that walks you through all the legalities pertaining to your rights as a canadian. The book is written by Barry Holland and is called No More mr. Nice-guy.
It's a well written guide book based on canadian case law that explains the laws related to defending yourself,family, and property,
how to protect your home from criminal assault,
basic techniques and tactics to help you get an advantage in a threat situation,
and how to deal with authorities after the incident.

Please note I have no affiliation with the book or auther. It's just a book I bought a few weeks ago.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:23 PM

Sounds like a good read.

Unfortunately, the laws in this country have neutered heroism. Intervening in any situation to protect anyone nowadays will likely land you in front of a judge.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Sounds like a good read.

Unfortunately, the laws in this country have neutered heroism. Intervening in any situation to protect anyone nowadays will likely land you in front of a judge.
So would you interject yourself into a situation to defend innocents? Say an assault for instance? I think most people will do what they feel right, be damned the laws.
Some laws are messed up.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Alrighty... let’s start shooting the intruders, thieves etc and use the book for the defence in court....
Old 08-15-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Alrighty... let’s start shooting the intruders, thieves etc and use the book for the defence in court....
Well, somebody needs to. They aren’t going to shoot themselves, and the Government sure as hell won’t help.

We’ve reached a point where people will have to take matters into their own hands and the public will have to circle the wagons around those who are forced to. Canada’s justice system is an abject failure that has resorted to prosecuting victims now that it no longer has the backbone to prosecute criminals.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldan Grumpi View Post
Well, somebody needs to. They aren’t going to shoot themselves, and the Government sure as hell won’t help.

We’ve reached a point where people will have to take matters into their own hands and the public will have to circle the wagons around those who are forced to. Canada’s justice system is an abject failure that has resorted to prosecuting victims now that it no longer has the backbone to prosecute criminals.
I fear that is what the democrats want to do in the USA as well....
Old 08-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. No one said anything about just shooting intruders or using the book for defence in a court of law. It's a book written about true case law from canadian courts with large sections of our CCC explained and proven by actual trials in Canada that helps a person understand what is lawful and what is not as defined by our CCC proven by our courts.
You must think anyone who doesn't hide under the bed or behind the curtain is ready to shoot someone
Old 08-15-2019, 06:06 PM

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
If I had to serve jury duty for someone that protected himself and his family I really think it would be hard to find 12 peers to pass judgement of guilt.
As long as he didn't do something really out of the ordinary in the case he was in.

Just my two cents.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 08-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Trial by jury would be key. I wouldn't trust my fate to some liberal halfwit of a judge if I had to defend my family by using lethal force.

Thanks for the suggested reading OP!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Trial by jury would be key. I wouldn't trust my fate to some liberal halfwit of a judge if I had to defend my family by using lethal force.

Thanks for the suggested reading OP!
And im the opposite. Id never put my life in the hands of 12 people who aren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty....

At least with a judge you have options.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
And im the opposite. Id never put my life in the hands of 12 people who aren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty....

Sometimes your neighbors have a better understanding of the situation than a judge. It's the intangible factor. Judge probably lives in a gated community with similarly minded liberals.

Grizz
Old 08-15-2019, 09:06 PM

As a retired me being me, grappling someone to death lands me in the slammer.

I have a HUUUGE I love me wall for all of my accomplishments.

I adjust my wall at all hours with my fubar and hammer, sometimes it's a five pound hammer. I need the big one to push the nails better in my old age don't you know.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

I think that in a clear self defense situation it would be quite unlikely that all twelve jurors would reach a unanimous decision, jury nullification may be invoked as well, as rare as it is in Canada.

Best tactic would be to steer clear of that legal hornets nest all together. Living in shanty with no valuables would certainly decrease the chances of home invasion!
Old 08-15-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
So would you interject yourself into a situation to defend innocents? Say an assault for instance? I think most people will do what they feel right, be damned the laws.
Some laws are messed up.
That's a question that I'm sure goes through all of our minds as we think about those "what if" situations.

Would I intervene?

To defend my family - absolutely.

All other situations would unfortunately fall into a category where I'd be forced to consider (or decide) whether I'd be OK with the possibility of being separated from my family (in jail) and leaving them to grow up without a Daddy at home. Unfortunately, in this country, 'heroes' get prosecuted.

It's easy to imagine oneself going "Denzel Washington" on someone - but when it comes right down to it, once a guy has a wife and kids who are relying on you as the primary provider in their lives, it's not quite that simple.

I have a friend who lives in Texas. He related to me an incident where a hunter in a tree-stand observed (from the tree-stand) a police pull over a motorist on a country road. Somehow in his observation, the hunter recognized that the motorist had pulled out a weapon, and that the police was in danger. From his stand, the hunter shot the motorist (this is no joke). The hunter was later lauded a hero in that community for having potentially saved the officer's life. We all know how that one would've gone in Canada! We aren't allowed to be 'heroes' in Canada - only victims.

Last edited by Artist; 08-15-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Best tactic would be to steer clear of that legal hornets nest all together. Living in shanty with no valuables would certainly decrease the chances of home invasion!
Whether you’re kidding or not, this advice does and will always carry some degree of truth.

My parents recently moved into a acreage subdivision (“acreage” in this case used lightly, doubt any property is an actual acre, they’re all around .5-.9) and everyone leaves their fancy cars, trucks, boats, trailers, toys, you name it sitting out in the open on the driveway or backyard. All except their immediate next door neighbour—everything is locked up or out of sight on any given day on their property I have been noticing. Cars and trucks in the garage, trailer locked up behind a fence gate, nothing in the driveway. The husband of that family also happens to be an RCMP officer.

Now I have no idea the crime statistics in that neighbourhood, but if I’m a methed up thief, which house am I going to hit, the one that has all their valuables out in the open for the taking, or the quiet unassuming place where everything looks secured and locked up? Lots of crime is of opportunity, any cop will tell you that.

Now that’s not to say a guy still wouldn’t get robbed doing that, or that locking all your stuff up and keeping valuables out of sight won’t stop someone from breaking in to find and steal them, but any measure that decreases your likelihood of being a victim is a good one in my mind.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:04 PM

Edmonton library is not much help with this one!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 AM

Back on track:
Mr Holland is speaking in St Paul next weekend, Aug 24. Not sure if he has other dates around the province.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Edmonton library is not much help with this one!
Same with the Calgary library. Nothing at Amazon. Indigo carries it, but they are out of stock online.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:29 AM

I bought it from my mechanic of all places. He is into that type of thing and had a few copies on the front counter for sale. A quick Google search and I found them through some stores
Old 08-16-2019, 07:48 AM

You can download the first 20 pages from here. You can also buy it there, but $15 for shipping seems a bit much.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Wow. Just wow. No one said anything about just shooting intruders or using the book for defence in a court of law. It's a book written about true case law from canadian courts with large sections of our CCC explained and proven by actual trials in Canada that helps a person understand what is lawful and what is not as defined by our CCC proven by our courts.
You must think anyone who doesn't hide under the bed or behind the curtain is ready to shoot someone
Not at all, I’m probably will be the first one to unload all five rounds thru the door if some arshole decides to test the strength of our door locks...
Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Some laws are messed up.
I have many times, the sad reality is its up the responding officer to decide if your actions were right or wrong. Even explaining to them I had the legal duty to stop the situation was often met with nothing more than be belittling comments from officers. I have witnessed an officer get jumped by 4 people then he had the nerve to yell at me for pulling someone off his back. I will still interject because that is my nature but you can be assured I am the last one calling the police when I need to use force to de-escalate the situation. Walk away, I saw nothing. This country is so messed up. I hope the US decides to annex Alberta one day for our oil. At least then we might be allowed to defend ourselves one day

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-16-2019, 03:03 PM

Why bother

Last edited by Oldan Grumpi; 08-16-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 PM

Americans and Canadians do not think the same regarding many things and the degree to which we accept “violence” as an appropriate response to a threat to person or property is generally different....and that is reflected in our legislation. There is no overlooking the fact that history shapes our culture. In the US, settlement preceded “law” whereas in Canada, the law moved at the same pace as settlement. So, in the US, folks provided their own security and lived by the code they established. Threaten me, I shoot you. Steal my horse, I hang you. The same period in Canada was much different...law looked after those issues. Fast forward to the phenomenon of mass shootings where even our crazies think different than their crazies.
Bottom line for me is that I have always been able to protect my family and possessions, “the Canadian Way”...
Old 08-16-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Why bother
When you go to court, the verdict will hinge on what a "reasonable " person would do, given the circumstances. That's a wide open field and subject to the interpretation that goes with it.

Grizz
Old 08-16-2019, 05:31 PM

This is a topic we should know as the majority of us are gun owners. I hope this book is accurate and lays our rights out in proper order. Lot's of guy's on this site live in rural area's myself included.

I live in BC and it seems this province has gone crazy in the last while with the recent murders up north followed by a cross country manhunt.

All the missing people around Merrit/Spenses Bridge/Sun Peaks and the Highway of Tears. WTF is happening ?

I have my thoughts on all this but I will tell you one thing, I hunt alot alone and I travel and camp alone, I live in a rural area. I am going protect myself family and my home and possessions no matter what. Come get you some thieves !

Our laws are so far out of what this country has become it is sickening.

There is an election on the horizon and I hope we all vote for a real change.

Dog_River PS I just ordered this book.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Better than watching the worst thing happen to your family by a bunch of animals.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Not at all, I’m probably will be the first one to unload all five rounds thru the door if some arshole decides to test the strength of our door locks...
Now your talking....5 warning shots.....give'em something to think about...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Now your talking....5 warning shots.....give'em something to think about...
And me time to reload, lol!
Old 08-18-2019, 05:05 AM
Banned

Quote:

You should get professional help.