Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 04:34 PM
Banned

Default Made In The USA & Canada

In light of what is happening world wide I am curious to know who wants to start seeing products Made In The USA and Canada again?

Bought a Sunbeam Fan today and was shocked and surprised that it was made in China, what does that do for us North Americans workers?

It's about time that we become the Powerhouse of the world again, just like the good old days and start manufacturing our own stuff again, not the cheap stuff from overseas!

Your thoughts?
Old 06-04-2017, 04:38 PM

You were shocked your Sunbeam fan was made in China? Seriously? North Americans are not going to start paying twice the price for products cause the Donald says so, not going to happen.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
You were shocked your Sunbeam fan was made in China? Seriously? North Americans are not going to start paying twice the price for products cause the Donald says so, not going to happen.
So you are saying we are destine to a life of buying cheap products that have limited lifespans because we are too stupid to recognize quality?
Old 06-04-2017, 04:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Couldn't agree more! You will just have to lower your expectations of cost savings and not expect it to be as cheap. I buy local as much as I can and try and buy "made in" or "grown in" as close to home as often as I can, even when it costs me more money, but there is always a tipping point for everyone where it just isn't feasible. For some it is every penny possible. For others it is 10% difference. For some it is even more.

Personally I would rather spend more money on local so those staff and owners can afford to spend at my business etc rather than have the profit from my purchases leave the country to foreign ownership.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
So you are saying we are destine to a life of buying cheap products that have limited lifespans because we are too stupid to recognize quality?
Some people can't recognize quality, and some people simply are not willing to pay extra for quality.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Yes. People don't have the money to pay twice as much for something. Young people don't have the resources to buy like you and I might. Look at the sale of cheap rifles, they move a crazy amount of them. I like quality, especially footwear, my weakness, but I'm not fooled into thinking everyone else would appreciate three or four hundred dollar boots.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Some people can't recognize quality, and some people simply are not willing to pay extra for quality.
And sometimes the quality just isn't available any more, cause the cheap crap drove the quality stuff out of the market. Even some, what used to be quality names, Weisser locks off the top of my head, have declined to be little more than junk.

Grizz
Old 06-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes. People don't have the money to pay twice as much for something. Young people don't have the resources to buy like you and I might. Look at the sale of cheap rifles, they move a crazy amount of them. I like quality, especially footwear, my weakness, but I'm not fooled into thinking everyone else would appreciate three or four hundred dollar boots.
I only buy my cowboy boots that are made in Canada or the USA, and I would never buy a saddle made in China, never either!

It's time that we as a nation go back to the basics, so it will cost a little more but at least it will last.

Put our youth back to work instead of letting China eat our lunch, then they will be able to afford quality workmanship items again too.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I only buy my cowboy boots that are made in Canada or the USA, and I would never buy a saddle made in China, never either!

It's time that we as a nation go back to the basics, so it will cost a little more but at least it will last.

Put our youth back to work instead of letting China eat our lunch, then they will be able to afford quality workmanship items again too.
So are all of the clothes that you purchase made in Canada or the USA? How about your television, computer , cell phone, and other electronics products?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
So are all of the clothes that you purchase made in Canada or the USA? How about your television, computer , cell phone, and other electronics products?
My rifle, my bow and my boots were made in North America. I own a company and all of my employees are Canadian!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:11 PM

I always look at labels..
even grocery shopping I will not by products made in China and India..

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-04-2017, 05:12 PM

Some products made in China are as good as what is 'domestic', at a third the cost. Just because it says 'made in Canada or the USA' doesn't guarantee quality anymore, and made in China isn't a 100% guarantee of crap. Lots of offshore stuff is crap, but not everything. I'd prefer to buy domestic, but I'm not paying twice as much for a product that is not any better.

We live in a global economy. You may want to consider that the made in Canada product that you are buying, is made by a company that is owned by Chinese. Then what are you going to do?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-04-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
My rifle, my bow and my boots were made in North America. I own a company and all of my employees are Canadian!
Are the rest of your clothes and all of your electronics goods made in Canada or the USA?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are the rest of your clothes and all of your electronics goods made in Canada or the USA?
Well I don't buy my suits from Tip Top Tailors with fancy names that are made from wherever, they are custom made by hand by a third generation Italian/Canadian, don't appreciate cheap stuff never will.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 PM

I loath buying Chinese, but sometimes you don't have a choice. Try buying any electronics made in the US, unless it is a specialty item, it's not available. Europeans make wonderful boots, Japanese wonderful cars, Americans? Nice guns? Lee Valley does a lot of Canadian manufacturing on their tools, but you pay for it. Two hundred dollars for a block plane vs sixty for a Chinese one, only a finisher would know the difference. I love my high end woodworking tools, but most weekenders would not appreciate the difference and would not want to pay the premium. Like it or not, we live in a global community and I can't see it being turned back. Donald or no Donald.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Well I don't buy my suits from Tip Top Tailors with fancy names that are made from wherever, they are custom made by hand by a third generation Italian/Canadian, don't appreciate cheap stuff never will.
Unless you wear only suits and cowboy boots and hats you are still avoiding my question about clothing, and you are definitely avoiding the topic of electronics.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Unless you wear only suits and cowboy boots and hats you are still avoiding my question about clothing, and you are definitely avoiding the topic of electronics.
Thanks for making my point!

It's hard to find stuff made in Canada and the USA, we have to get back to basics and rely on ourselves!

I am ****ed off that the Sunbeam fan I bought today was made in China, that sucks. I want to support our continent, I could care less about Asia!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for making my point!

It's hard to find stuff made in Canada and the USA, we have to get back to basics and rely on ourselves!

I am ****ed off that the Sunbeam fan I bought today was made in China, that sucks. I want to support our continent, I could care less about Asia!!!
If you are serious about your fan, check some medical catalogs, maybe you can find an American made one for three times the price. And if you are so worried about supporting our economy why are you supporting the Americans, Trump doesn't give a chit about you?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you are serious about your fan, check some medical catalogs, maybe you can find an American made one for three times the price. And if you are so worried about supporting our economy why are you supporting the Americans, Trump doesn't give a chit about you?
You are joking right?

That is exactly what Trump is talking about. He wants to stop the bleeding of North American Jobs as well. It has to end or we are done. Not acceptable, time to take it back before our brain dead politicians destroy us.

Like I said I hire Canadians.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
You are joking right?

That is exactly what Trump is talking about. He wants to stop the bleeding of North American Jobs as well. It has to end or we are done. Not acceptable, time to take it back before our brain dead politicians destroy us.

Like I said I hire Canadians.
BS, Trump wants to stop the bleeding of American jobs, don't know how you tie Canada to this. He will screw Canadians, his right as an American President, but don't pretend he's a friend of Canada. Either way he won't save American jobs unless he puts huge tariffs on imports. This is political suicide.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
BS, Trump wants to stop the bleeding of American jobs, don't know how you tie Canada to this. He will screw Canadians, his right as an American President, but don't pretend he's a friend of Canada. Either way he won't save American jobs unless he puts huge tariffs on imports. This is political suicide.
Simple pikegolf, we are in the same boat as our American friends and I never said Trump was looking out for Canadians, he is doing his job and looking out for Americans as he should be doing. We in Canada are relying on China and other cheap imports, that must change or we are screwed!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Simple pikegolf, we are in the same boat as our American friends and I never said Trump was looking out for Canadians, he is doing his job and looking out for Americans as he should be doing. We in Canada are relying on China and other cheap imports, that must change or we are screwed!
You said he wants to stop the bleeding of North American jobs. Now you are backing off that?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

A nation the produces nothing is worth nothing, if you don't believe me ask the Chinese. Rant over
Old 06-04-2017, 06:17 PM

Where are Trump's daughters products made? And Trump's own line of clothes made?
Old 06-04-2017, 06:21 PM

When Trump starts to block Canadian imports of Canadian manufactured goods what do you think will happen to a Company like Lee Valley? How many two hundred dollar block planes do you think they can sell in a Canadian market? Lots of Canadian manufacturers will feel the pinch of renegotiating NAFTA. Nothing but hurt for Canada. His people will turf him when the price of goods goes up, lots of people hurt in the meantime. Thank Gawd we are looking to expand our markets.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Not sure what any of this has to with the Donald, unless he's taking Bushes place as the person who could do nothing right. He's criticized for everything from a word he used to how much ice cream he had in his bowl. I remember the Kennedy assassination and now I can tell my grandkids, I was there back in 2017 when the president of the most powerful nation in the world had ....not one... but two scoops of ice cream ...and the crowds went wild.

We didn't wake up one morning, turn on Fox news and find out that suddenly a ton of the stuff we use every day was made in some foreign country with atrocious human rights practices. It started out small like a cancer, and grew until the cure my be worse than the disease.

Back in the day when I was a kid, the great war WWII had ended only 10 years before. Japanese were rebuilding and their products began to appear on sporting goods and hardware tool shelves. They were cheaapp!!! and They were junk. Bolts whose heads could be twisted off by a 10 or 12 year old kid with a Japanese wrench, if the wrench didn't bend first. "Don't buy Japanese" was a lesson I learned as fast as that one about ****ing on the electric fence, or holding on to the spark plug wire on my uncle's outboard.

Today things are different. There are quality products from offshore, but it is still buyer beware. We have almost been fed the idea that because some products are good and cheaper, all must be, so the new fridge only lasts 18 months instead of 18 years.

It is time to view the global economy with a discerning eye. The economics are tied tightly to the politics. Redistribution of wealth is the target for today and those who are pushing the hardest have the least skin in the game and stand to benefit the most.

Rug bumped the hand wringers who wail about Global warming and alternate energy while they do little or nothing in their personal life to affect the change they feel is needed. The mice thinking belling the cat is a great idea, but none of the little rats will step up to do the job.

I try to buy made in Canada first, but it's not always possible. Looks at computers.......you know the ones that are looking at you...that you bought from a country that isn't Canada. { conspiracy theorists may see something moving there lol}.

How's our east coast fishery doing these last 40 -50 years? I do not buy fish that are processed in China, India or any other place where the mean daytime temp is above 85 F. Matter of fact I can't think of any foodstuff I buy from offshore. The fish is caught off our shores and shipped across the world to be processed and shipped back. The product is still not cheap. Why not?

Speaking of east coast fisheries, when I was in grade school, about gr.3 or 4, we brought canned goods etc from home to get a look at the Canada's place on the global processing stage. There were several different fish products. sardines herring, crab etc. all without exception were processed on the east coast.

As a teen I worked on farms picking produce for not much money. Those tomatoes, cukes, corn etc were all locally processed and the finished product shipped around the world. Heinz no longer makes ketchup or pickles there. Green giant moved their plant year ago. How do you buy local???

I picked up a can of Dole pineapple......icon of Hawaii ... processed in Asia.

Try to find shoes, or shirts made in Canada.

Trade is essential, but so is common sense. Mostly on this forum it's either/or. It has to be one extreme or the other.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Walmart business model.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:24 PM

I sure miss the days after looking over what i just
bought & it saying on the Bottom
"Made in Japan".. this chinese sh*t is just that..
just bought a brand new pair of Headphones, plugged it
into my music player, and it makes a horrible scratching
bad connection noise when touched at the jack.."Sh%t, junk, crap
with NO quality in mind!!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Banned

It seems some manufacturing is moving back to North America. But don't expect a huge increase in jobs; most is now done by robots.

GE moved all their appliance manufacturing back, primarily due to the increase in wages in China, plus shipping costs, plus delay in shipping and the carrying costs that incurred.

Headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, GE Appliances also operates manufacturing facilities in Decatur, Alabama and has wholly-owned subsidiaries in LaFayette, Georgia, and Selmer, Tennessee.

Then guess what, GE sold the division to Haier Group in 2016. A Chinese company.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
".. Japanese..their products began to appear on sporting goods and hardware tool shelves. They were cheaapp!!! and They were junk. Bolts whose heads could be twisted off by a 10 or 12 year old kid with a Japanese wrench, if the wrench didn't bend first. "Don't buy Japanese" was a lesson I learned as fast as that one about ****ing on the electric fence, or holding on to the spark plug wire on my uncle's outboard.
In the 80's 90's i think Japan was good stuff..heck i've owned
nothing but Honda dirtbikes..they run forever..junk?...nope!