Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-18-2021, 09:28 AM

I make a leather open top cartridge holder that attaches to a belt. It can be modified for other attachment methods as well. I can’t get my pictures to load but if someone is interested I can text or email the pictures.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:02 AM

Here is some pics from Horse_men
Cat

Old 05-18-2021, 04:20 PM

For the most part I carry a belt mounted, folding, drop down leather pouch. Make them in specific sizes to suit the various calibers I have.
Very convenient and sturdy. Made from 8-9 oz. leather with tanned deer or moose hide pouches on the inside.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:03 AM

I have used a variety of the pouches you attach to your belt and hold approx 10 rounds. Have served me well for the last 40 years. With all the other stuff in my day pack the extra weight is not an issue and I have seldom found I needed them but like other things I carry it is for those oh **** moments we hope will never happen.
I have made a few leather ones for friends that hold 3 or 4 rounds and they seem to like them ok.
I think it is mostly a personal preference but lots of options out there.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
For the most part I carry a belt mounted, folding, drop down leather pouch. Make them in specific sizes to suit the various calibers I have.
Very convenient and sturdy. Made from 8-9 oz. leather with tanned deer or moose hide pouches on the inside.

I always carried one similar to the posted pic. Worked well. I ended up making a smaller, 4 round version, that attaches to the shoulder strap of my backpack.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Here is some pics from Horse_men
Cat

I’m glad you posted those (still haven’t got around to figuring out how to post pics yet). Top and bottom picture are what Horse_men did up for me.

They have a belt loop on the back, so if you aren’t wearing a pack with a waist belt on it, I just put it on my belt. If I’m wearing my pack, I’ll throw it into the zippered pouch attached to the pack’s waist belt.

Horse_men did an awesome job. Highly recommend him!
Old 05-20-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
I’m glad you posted those (still haven’t got around to figuring out how to post pics yet). Top and bottom picture are what Horse_men did up for me.

They have a belt loop on the back, so if you aren’t wearing a pack with a waist belt on it, I just put it on my belt. If I’m wearing my pack, I’ll throw it into the zippered pouch attached to the pack’s waist belt.

Horse_men did an awesome job. Highly recommend him!

Thank you very much, Im glad you are happy with them! You’ve got quite the collection of them now!
Old 05-24-2021, 08:45 AM

I’m not sure if your rifle has an internal or detachable magazine, but for most of my detachable mag rifles I just carry a spare loaded mag in my pocket. I know you’re anti pocket, but it works for me.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:34 PM

https://fhfgear.com/products/ammo-sleeve

This looks like it would be pretty handy and functional.