Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 10:19 AM

Default Crane Hunt Sask Outfitter Question

Have any of you hunted with Lucky Lake Hunting Adventures?

I saw a few adds and their website appears to be good, but nothing like a real world review from other hunters.

Appreciate any insight.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:05 AM

While crane hunting in Saskatchewan is very good, I suspect that dense eastern Alberta flyway will continue for another year or two before they figure it out. Kind of like when they opened Beaverhill. It took a couple of years before the birds adjusted. I’ve had a few run ins with that outfitter, but as competition, not as a client.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:05 PM

I have hunted with Garret and he's an outstanding guy and awesome guide. Anyone who says the crane numbers in eastern ab are the same as Sask hasn't hunted in central Sask. It's nothing to see hundreds of cranes in a field at once. You won't be disappointed

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 05-17-2021, 12:36 PM

I’ve hunted/guided with and for him for the last 6 years. He’s a great guy all around to hunt with and as a friend. He always got birds lined up and reasonably priced for his hunts. Lodging is good food is great. I’ll be going back again this fall for another round of folding lawn darts. May even spend most of the fall out there lol
Old 05-17-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I have hunted with Garret and he's an outstanding guy and awesome guide. Anyone who says the crane numbers in eastern ab are the same as Sask hasn't hunted in central Sask. It's nothing to see hundreds of cranes in a field at once. You won't be disappointed
Born there and hunt there every year for the last forty. I’ll flip that and say that anyone who hasn’t hunted Ab cranes, which I’m going to guess most haven’t, are missing an opportunity. But I agree, one won’t be disappointed with Sask cranes.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Born there and hunt there every year for the last forty. I’ll flip that and say that anyone who hasn’t hunted Ab cranes, which I’m going to guess most haven’t, are missing an opportunity. But I agree, one won’t be disappointed with Sask cranes.
Last year we tried hard to get on cranes and although we killed a few it wasn't nowhere near that of lucky lake. And I'm about as far east ab as a guy can get.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 05-20-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Last year we tried hard to get on cranes and although we killed a few it wasn't nowhere near that of lucky lake. And I'm about as far east ab as a guy can get.
We do a lot of our crane hunting west of lucky lake in the Cabri/Kyle area. Friends have a large tract of land, and the kids added about 50 crane decs to the Arsenal last season. Some pretty fine hunting.
Wood buffalo area is some of the best crane nesting areas on the continent. Those birds migrate in a south easterly path, and seemingly hang up along the border, crossing generally through the Loyd area and south. I can’t imagine that Sask hunting pressure accounts for that, going with it being an established flight path, which may disperse more broadly after a couple of years of an open season. Regardless, the highest density of cranes I’ve witnessed is through that corridor. Don’t get me wrong, I gave up my Alberta day trips for migratory many years ago, preferring a straight month or more in those same areas, and purchased a small town property to facilitate that. We chase ducks, geese, cranes, chicken all day, everyday. The frustrating part is that we are constantly running into more elk, moose, pronghorn, whites and mules every year. I will be taking up residency in Sask specifically for that reason. Bring on retirement.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:33 PM

Thanks for all the info. Appreciate the follow up.