Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 12:58 AM

Default How to pour a Concrete Sidewalk?

Hi there guys!
How's everyone doing tonight?

I was just sorting the videos out, those I filmed while placing some mud (concrete) at work and thought I would share a result with you here.

This video is about placing concrete sidewalk where I will walk you through the process with commentaries, suggestions and tips.

If planning to do some concrete work yourself, or just curious how this stuff gets done, this video would be helpful for you.

Here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vixBasisgnw

Let me know what you think and if you would like to see more content like that on this forum.

I appreciate your time!

Thanks for watching!

Cheers!

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 AM
Banned

Great video. You missed one thing though, what really happens to the children you catch writing their names in your finished product?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:27 AM

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedy1 View Post
great video. You missed one thing though, what really happens to the children you catch writing their names in your finished product?
🤣🤣🤣

Old 09-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

Awesome video
Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchris44 View Post
Awesome video
Thanks guys! I’m glad you enjoyed it! 👍

Old 09-25-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Great video. You missed one thing though, what really happens to the children you catch writing their names in your finished product?
Ever hear what happened to Jimmy Hoffa ............ probably the same thing.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:59 PM

Thanks, I'm planning on doing a cement walk way from sidewalk to my door this upcoming spring
Old 09-25-2018, 04:05 PM

I did one few years back. Many hands makes for an easier time. Ladies take off your diamond rings, mine didn't and payed the price. I made mine wider than normal so that a wheelchair could navigate the walk.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:40 PM

Angler,

i know that keeping the slab wet for a few days after the slab has hardened is critical for dealing with the heat from the curing process, but I am told that there are concrete sealers that can be applied after the slab goes from green to grey that avoids the need for spraying the slab with water for heat control.

The rule of thumb that i hear is 70 % strength in 7 days, (but make it 10 to be safe) and 30 % remaining strength over 30 years.

But this is the critical part as the heat generated can itself cause a fine cracking in the surface, which is why keeping the slab moist is so important for that 7 - 10 day period.

What method and what product do you prefer?

Drewski
Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Angler,

i know that keeping the slab wet for a few days after the slab has hardened is critical for dealing with the heat from the curing process, but I am told that there are concrete sealers that can be applied after the slab goes from green to grey that avoids the need for spraying the slab with water for heat control.

The rule of thumb that i hear is 70 % strength in 7 days, (but make it 10 to be safe) and 30 % remaining strength over 30 years.

But this is the critical part as the heat generated can itself cause a fine cracking in the surface, which is why keeping the slab moist is so important for that 7 - 10 day period.

What method and what product do you prefer?

Drewski

Over 30 years? Lol I sure hope you meant days, otherwise people would have to wait to long for their concrete to cure!

Yes, concrete gather 65-70% of its strength in one week, about 90% in two weeks and 99-100% in 4 weeks/28 days.

But there is also a high early mix you could order from a plant, it comes with special cement which can get strength of 70-90% just in 3-4 days.

Normally most of contractors that doing residential concrete don’t use any sealer at all, especially with broom finish. Expose and stamp is a different story, process itself requires you to wash it(already helps the curing process) and seal it.
Easiest way to help your slub, would be just watering it for a few days after it’s poured. Again it only matters if it exposed to the sun and it’s hot out.

City of Edmonton requires all contractors to use curing compound with white pigment which I believe is water based. Here is the link to a similar product where you can read it’s specs.

https://www.wrmeadows.com/en-ca/1220...ring-compound/

Only use this stuff for broom finish though

Last edited by Angler; 09-25-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Thanks, I'm planning on doing a cement walk way from sidewalk to my door this upcoming spring
Nice! Feel free to PM me if you need any advise

Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

Great thread
Old 09-26-2018, 10:06 AM

Yes, 30 years to full cure.

Civil Engineers have been studying maximum strength in concrete for 100 years ++++.

That does not mean that MOST of the strength has not been achieved in the first year, it just means that ALL of the strength has not been achieved for a very long time.

All the same, there are a number of curing products that stop spider web cracks on the surface in place of the old tried and true method of watering every day for a week or more.

I do not do this work, I just pay for it. At the price of a cubic meter of concrete these days, I want the best result that I can buy. I am looking at a very big driveway job next spring, and I would hate to have it start to crack after the first year.

Some of the modern concrete products are pretty amazing, but not suitable for Alberta, such as pattern stamp with colorants running $100 a meter extra??? Then put on a glaze finish that is supposed to contain crushed glass for traction, but the thing cannot be shoveled easily because of the texture, cannot be chipped to remove ice for fear of damaging the surface,
etc.

However, everyone agrees lots of rebar and a very solid base prep are critical. A thicker slab with a higher MPA concrete is justified, but at the end of the day, people admire a good finish, that lasts.

That is the art of the concrete contractor.

Drewski

Tags
concrete, mud, sidewalk