Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Default Smart Tabs Review

With another passenger sitting up in the bow area, my 14 tinner powered by a 30 hp Merc got up on plane in roughly 5 seconds and there was very little porpoising at WOT. However, it really struggled to get up on plane with only me aboard and porpoising was very pronounced at WOT.

I did not want to add ballast as this seemed to me to cure the problem in the crudest manner possible. So, after a bit of researching, I ordered a set of Smart Tabs. They are everything they are claimed to be.

Now, it requires only a couple of seconds to get up on plane, there is zero porpoising, and my Naden stays on plane at much slower speeds.

Although I purchased the Smart Tabs 'Troller' model, I did not take the time this past weekend to test it's effectiveness at reducing trolling speed.

Bobby B.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM

What are these Smart Tabs you speak of? Are they something akin to a Stingray or similar foil?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm

Bobby B.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Glad to hear. I am having them installed this week on my Smokercraft pro angler 162 with a 2013 Yamaha 60 hp outboard. My boat takes 17 seconds to get on plane with 2 people in it and it will not plane at all with 3 people. The good news is that Smokercraft has acknowledged the issue and is supplying and installing them with warranty for free.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Well mine are installed. Will let you know how they worked out after this weekend.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM

Last weekend, my BIL fished Slave Lake. Everytime a boat passed by, I critiqued it's ride angle and amount of porpoising. I was amazed by the number of poorly tuned boats. I'm confident you'll be pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of these trim tabs.

Bobby B.