Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default Northern Walleye

Hey there, Here are a few walleye pics from this past weekend up in Lac La Biche. Fishing was really tough as the clarity was terrible. Ended up getting into 2 nice "eyes worth talking about. One of them was 4.5-5lbs and the other was 6.3. They both live on to swim another day. It was hot, sunny and made for tough days. The smaller of the two was caught on a minnow 3 inches from bottom and the larger was caught on a silver wobbler in 30 feet, but 8 feet down casting. Spoke with the fish cops, I asked about a 1 fish limit next year on LLB they said nope, wont be happening, FYI.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1504.jpg (26.7 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 1506.jpg (26.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 1513.jpg (30.1 KB, 247 views)
Old 08-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
Hey there, Here are a few walleye pics from this past weekend up in Lac La Biche. Fishing was really tough as the clarity was terrible. Ended up getting into 2 nice "eyes worth talking about. One of them was 4.5-5lbs and the other was 6.3. They both live on to swim another day. It was hot, sunny and made for tough days. The smaller of the two was caught on a minnow 3 inches from bottom and the larger was caught on a silver wobbler in 30 feet, but 8 feet down casting. Spoke with the fish cops, I asked about a 1 fish limit next year on LLB they said nope, wont be happening, FYI.

Mike
Nice eyes. The one officer I talked about, said any lakes that are on tag system will not be re-opened to harvest ever, only tags. The only increase would be more tags per person, which would make more sense than having repeat history with collapsed fisheries. Good putting them back, if you could keep em, most people do. Those fish are important in the gene pool!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Wow those are nice! I don't know how you guys hold them without gloves. My hands got completely shredded when I went walleye fishing for the first time last week. Think I need to toughen up a bit. Congrats on some beautiful catches!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post

Mike
There won't be any keeping of walleye from LLB lake anytime in the near future, as the area "subsistence" fishermen "harvest" a large quantity of them in their nets for "their own" use. HA HA HA!! It is not uncommon for a 100 yd net to be set, left for a couple of hours, retrieved, and upward of 50 large walleye taken out. This is a regular, ongoing occurence. Any other fish are not desired eating. The majority of these blonde haired, blue eyed "subsistence" fishermen, are people of some means, doing the Ft. Mac routine for big bucks, while others own various companies paying them amounts that we can only dream about. Subsistence fishing at its finest!!!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Banned

That sucks about the substinence fishing. ... I didn't even know it was allowed on llb. Oh well I am trYing for a 10 pounder. That's my goal. Be nice to have more quality fisheries open for walleye , but I am happy letting them go.. OneGirlWolfpack it takes a while to get fish hands as I like to call them. . My hands were raw after guiding huge pike on lake athabasca, gill plates on walleye will get you good. My hands are gross from seasons of guiding
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM

The netting is BS, that's probably what collapse the walleye in that lake.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM

Thats cool I was tempted to try lac la biche last week for the first time because I've been hearing good reports. I also hear it is a prop eater though.

Nice fish, great fun catching those big eyes.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Catch them now while you can. They'll be completely gone in a few years. All that stocking so they can be netted out. Take the most exaggerated story you've heard about subsistence netting, multiple that by 5 and you have the reality of what is happening on LLB.