Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Are you talking about a tag for harvesting sturgeon, or a license to specifically fish for them like Wayne does?
A specialty license to fish for them . Zero harvest . To fish them in BC you have to have a specialty license . I think it would be a great thing to introduce here also . Bn the use of pickerel rigs and have some other strict guidelines . I wouldn't hurt the sturgeon fishery one bit . After all were here trying to protect them .
Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
A specialty license to fish for them . Zero harvest . To fish them in BC you have to have a specialty license . I think it would be a great thing to introduce here also . Bn the use of pickerel rigs and have some other strict guidelines . I wouldn't hurt the sturgeon fishery one bit . After all were here trying to protect them .
You scared me when you said tag haha

Should only be allowed one hook for sturgeons whether it be treble or single.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
You scared me when you said tag haha

Should only be allowed one hook for sturgeons whether it be treble or single.
Yeah I totally ment license I just changed it in my original post .
Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM

I think a token fee for kids would go a long way, say 5 bucks. Seniors stay free.

As far as a sturgeon license goes, I kind of like the idea but how do you enforce it? Honestly officer, that pickeral rig is set-up for Walleye!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
I agree fully.

Also..... No offense to the seniors but SOME seem to struggle with having to release fish.
As do some younger people I have reported as poachers.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Default Free Seniors

Seniors definitely should stay free ,though I don't know why you
Would want one ,they smell bad .
This cash grabbing ,do nothing PC Govt has to be stopped ...
If you put Daisy McQueen and AFGA together major shiiiite
To follow .

Non resident everything should be big bucks.....and very restricted.

Seniors have trouble releasing fish....release this punk......

We don't need more money ,I don't believe that Torie horse manure
We need more doing ,less soap boxing . I can't tell you how inspired
I was when I saw Daisy,s pic in the new regs last night .

I am so worn

out from building this nation ,I'm too tired to
Catch a sturgeon

Last edited by Winch101; 08-02-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM

I have no issue with a fee increase, I would gladly pay $50.00 for a years entertainment, I fish at least once a week on average. The 2-4 of beer I bought for the long weekend cost more than a fishing license and it will be gone in two days. I'm more ticked that it cost me $150.00 just to put gas in the truck to go fishing. I won't count the $10,000.00 in fishing gear though that I also need to fish. Heck fishing is a cheap sport
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2 View Post
Kid limits can be included in the liscence holders. Kids must either fish with liscence holder or buy their own. Must buy their own for a separate bonking limit.
Wrong Kids dont need a license till 16 yrs of age, they get the exact limt as an adult with a license, my son is an avid fisherkid, and he retains some fish he catches, as he likes eatin wallys, and pike as the next guy...

But I also dont mind an increase in fees either, they should be around 40 bucks..
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
hmm most seniors are on fixed incomes i think they should be free
x10000 they have paid enough in taxes im sure....
Old 08-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Wouldn't have objected to higher fees.

Would like to see Seniors have to pay a licence fee though.(doesn't have to be full price though).

Kids licencing needs some thought too.

all in all = positive

Guess we will still have to work on the seniors and kids.
Really trying to hit up children for money which translates to the parents paying. That is absolutely ridiculous. And seniors that have payed taxes their whole lives and fought in wars so you and I can live free WOW that's scandalous!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
Really trying to hit up children for money which translates to the parents paying. That is absolutely ridiculous. And seniors that have payed taxes their whole lives and fought in wars so you and I can live free WOW that's scandalous!
You use, you pay.

Parents pay for kids hockey, movies and everything else!

See it every day fishing, adult fishing and kids "fishing" 4 rods one actually fishing.
If the kids have a limit it should be licenced. If the kids limit is part of parents or adult don't need it.

I have been working for over 40 years and paid taxes the the whole time. Don't need a free licence. Younger people are going to be carrying a whole lot of seniors in the near future as it is!!!!!

A separate sturgeon tag is good in theory, but would be a nightmare to enforce, likely will not see it.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-02-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
You use, you pay.

Parents pay for kids hockey, movies and everything else!

See it every day fishing, adult fishing and kids "fishing" 4 rods one actually fishing.
If the kids have a limit it should be licenced. If the kids limit is part of parents or adult don't need it.

I have been working for over 40 years and paid taxes the the whole time. Don't need a free licence. Younger people are going to be carrying a whole lot of seniors in the near future as it is!!!!!

A separate sturgeon tag is good in theory, but would be a nightmare to enforce, likely will not see it.
Here, here. Yes seniors are on fixed incomes, but they also have the bulk of the wealth in the country. If they can't afford a 20 dollar fishing licence, I suspect they have more pressing issues than worrying about going fishing. "Seniors built this country". Yeah, the generation before them said the same thing, the one after will say the same thing, all generations have contributed to build this country. One is no more special than the other. If any seniors should be given free fishing, its those that fought for the country, but I don't agree with all getting it.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Here, here. Yes seniors are on fixed incomes, but they also have the bulk of the wealth in the country. If they can't afford a 20 dollar fishing licence, I suspect they have more pressing issues than worrying about going fishing. "Seniors built this country". Yeah, the generation before them said the same thing, the one after will say the same thing, all generations have contributed to build this country. One is no more special than the other. If any seniors should be given free fishing, its those that fought for the country, but I don't agree with all getting it.
Sorry, but I don't agree with any getting it. No need.

A big thank you to any in the services, but they can pay too.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Wrong Kids dont need a license till 16 yrs of age, they get the exact limt as an adult with a license, my son is an avid fisherkid, and he retains some fish he catches, as he likes eatin wallys, and pike as the next guy...

But I also dont mind an increase in fees either, they should be around 40 bucks..
I know the current regs. I am saying that your kid, my kid, any kid under 16 can be free if it is all catch and release OR counted with the liscence holders limit. If they want a separate limit, yeah even the 5 year old should pay some sort of fee.

The under 16 and over 65 make up a large portion of fishers that theoretically contribute 0$ but can bonk all the legal fish they can. Those little stockie rainbows cost 40$/lb. a liscence fee barely covers one limit of fresh stocked trout. Ugh... High blood pressure.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 PM

I'm one of those seniors (dam its hard to say that), next year no license, have to check out if I need a win card, I imagine so. I will be grouped with those under 16 (second childhood) and Native Indian people (not a bad group to be lumped with as I now am the same status as my First Nations pals). May just buy a one anyway, tough habit to break. Have always looked forward to that time to buy one, kind of a rite of passage each year. Thinking back I began to wonder how much I had spent over the years so did some quick calculations between being a BC resident and Alberta now.

That's about 49 years worth of licenses, Have bought quite a few that I still have, from across Canada, Parks Canada and the USA. Even a metal pin for the Maramachi. They started at $8 when I was young to the present $25.66. Between BC and Alberta I most likely have spent about $1,500. Hedk som of my rods and reels are worth that much. Cheap for a lifetime sport. That doesn't count special tags, river fees TU memberships, fly fishing related donations and a host of other special things.

Mind you I have keep a few fishing stores in business wiht rods reels and accessories along with boats, Marina's and my share of dollars for hotels restaurants and gas. I think angling fees are just the start of attracting people to an industry that brings millions into the economy. I know because I have been a professional Fly Tier and guide for many moons and it sure helped raise and educate 3 fine sons, who in turn pay their fees.

I believe that the angling license is only a small thing compared to what it brings into the economy with local and tourism dollars. In turn its a shame that so may business benefit greatly from angling and don't contribute back to its stewardship. Its only us anglers that are the stewards of the sport.

Fishing Regulations
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 PM

I agree with charging all who can afford it, no matter the age. It could be the difference for a family of 4 little kids to get out where the parents couldn't afford the day if they had to buy 6 licenses. Fishing doesn't have to be expensive. Licences for retention for sure no matter what format you use, 1 license, 1 limit, period.

It's easy to kick back the fees through a provincial tax rebate based on total income.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:19 AM

I think we should have a reduced fee for seniors and kids, at least that way we have an idea of the volume of fishers.

Fishing Regulations
Old 08-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I think we should have a reduced fee for seniors and kids, at least that way we have an idea of the volume of fishers.

At least.

But,
Why reduced? Its not a lot of money. And it is for a years worth of entertainment.

Quite a few seniors/retirees I have talked to have no objection to paying for a licence.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 PM

comparing with the gasoline I use on my fishing trip, this is nothing! I suport it,
Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM

I shake my head at the thought of seniors or kids having to pay for a license , I also think that they should offer a non harvest license which would allow you to fish but catch and release only for the people who don't keep fish . You pay from 16 - 65 I think you've paid your dues , however I think they need to remain charging for the special Walleye draw .

I don't quite get why people would think seniors and kids should have to pay . We pay enough already as adults putting your 25 dollars in for 45 years I think you have earned your dues to some free fishing .
Old 08-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I shake my head at the thought of seniors or kids having to pay for a license , I also think that they should offer a non harvest license which would allow you to fish but catch and release only for the people who don't keep fish . You pay from 16 - 65 I think you've paid your dues , however I think they need to remain charging for the special Walleye draw .

I don't quite get why people would think seniors and kids should have to pay . We pay enough already as adults putting your 25 dollars in for 45 years I think you have earned your dues to some free fishing .
I don't get why people think seniors and kids shouldn't have to pay.

Entitlement?

Why should our kids have to carry the load? There is going to be a lot of seniors out there versus paying fishermen.

It is not much money!
Why should others pay your way? Use it, pay for it!

BBJ please read or re read the previous posts.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:

we are all fishermen, a cheaper licence for C&R again why? You don't want kids and seniors to pay and you want catch and release fishermen a lower price for licencing? Who should pay for all this? Maybe flyfishemen should not have to pay as much because they don't use bait!

About $28.00 to fish for a year! Cmon!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:48 PM

I'm not sure why people want young children to pay for a license? People complain about kids and their video games or hanging around the mall...making a kid pay for a license pushes them away from the outdoor life. We want to encourage these kids to get outdoors and into the fresh air...to take up a healthy sport like fishing. Even BC (Bring Cash) doesn't require a resident or non-resident child to buy a fresh water license. Funny thing..everyone on here pushing for kids to pay for a fishing license, got to fish for free until they were 16!!

Last edited by Riverbc; 08-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
I'm not sure why people want young children to pay for a license? People complain about kids and their video games or hanging around the mall...making a kid pay for a license pushes them away from the outdoor life. We want to encourage these kids to get outdoors and into the fresh air...to take up a healthy sport like fishing. Even BC (Bring Cash) doesn't require a resident or non-resident child to buy a fresh water license. Funny thing..everyone on here pushing for kids to pay for a fishing license, got to fish for free until they were 16!!
Parents can buy the licence for the kids. It would only be $26.94 per child. Instead of buying them a video game or $20.00 to go the mall buy them a fishing licence.

Sides if your from bc it shouldn't concern you

Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I don't get why people think seniors and kids shouldn't have to pay.

Entitlement?

Why should our kids have to carry the load? There is going to be a lot of seniors out there versus paying fishermen.

It is not much money!
Why should others pay your way? Use it, pay for it!

BBJ please read or re read the previous posts.
I have read and re read and read again .

You keep saying the same things kids and seniors should have to pay 28.00 .

Have you ever fished outside of alberta . Myself and many others here have . You pay to fish in other provinces and not just 28.00 well maybe 28.00 for 1 day . I was recently in BC paid close to 40.00 for the week I fished while I was there 7 days .

Quote:
we are all fishermen, a cheaper licence for C&R again why? You don't want kids and seniors to pay and you want catch and release fishermen a lower price for licencing? Who should pay for all this? Maybe flyfishemen should not have to pay as much because they don't use bait!

About $28.00 to fish for a year! Cmon!
Your like a broken record . What are catch and release fisherman taking from the fishery nothing . 28.00 would be a great price as long as catch and keep guys were paying 38 .00 . Everyone is Intitied to take there limits . I just think a system like BC , and Manitoba , as those are two I know that do the things I've mentioned , you would have one great licensing system for anglers . I think a fees shoudo go like this .

Alberta resident 16-65
Harvest license 1 year - 38.00
Conservation license 1 year -28.00
Specialty sturgeon license add on - 15.00
Youth / senior license - free to 5.00

Canada resident 16-65
1 day - 20.00
1 week 32.00
1 year 50.00
Youth / senior - free to 8.00

Non resident everyone needs one
1 day - 28.00
1 week - 38.00
1 year - 78.00
Youth/ senior - same as above .

Now tell me what's wrong with my thinking huntsfishfur ? Changes need to be made , I agree to a point with charging youth and seniors but just so they have to obtain a license and covers the isn't for that . Otherwise they should be free but still have to obtain a license so they can have a better idea of people who are fishing 16 and under and 65 and over . I don't see why something was once free forever then start charging that wont fly . Lodges and guides and other fishing related folks will be mighty angry about that .
Old 08-03-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Alberta resident 16-65
Harvest license 1 year - 38.00
Conservation license 1 year -28.00
Specialty sturgeon license add on - 15.00
Youth / senior license - free to 5.00

Canada resident 16-65
1 day - 20.00
1 week 32.00
1 year 50.00

1 day - 28.00
1 week - 38.00
1 year - 78.00
I think that this is a great breakdown.
Even if seniors and youth do not pay, they really should register to allow the government to track angler distribution and allocate resources appropriately.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 PM

[/COLOR]
Quote:
I have read and re read and read again .

You keep saying the same things kids and seniors should have to pay 28.00 .

Yes I do.(closer to $27.00 my bad). Its not that much, wow but will help the fishery

Have you ever fished outside of alberta . Myself and many others here have . You pay to fish in other provinces and not just 28.00 well maybe 28.00 for 1 day . I was recently in BC paid close to 40.00 for the week I fished while I was there 7 days .

Just BC and Sask. Exactly, So what is the problem with everyone(AB residents) paying the $27.00?

Your like a broken record . What are catch and release fisherman taking from the fishery nothing . 28.00 would be a great price as long as catch and keep guys were paying 38 .00 . Everyone is Intitied to take there limits . I just think a system like BC , and Manitoba , as those are two I know that do the things I've mentioned , you would have one great licensing system for anglers . I think a fees shoudo go like this .

Pay the darn 28.00, why divide it? Does it make you feel superior cause you don't keep fish? Been practicing catch an release for as long as I can remember but still keep an occasional fish to eat or because it was injured (but legal to keep). Why make it complicated. How you or I utilize the source should not matter. Instead of both paying 28 both can pay 38 for all I care. What about Trout fishing versus walleye or pike or sturgeon? Why divide even further?

Alberta resident 16-65
Harvest license 1 year - 38.00 $28.00
Conservation license 1 year -28.00 $28.00
Specialty sturgeon license add on - 15.00 No Sturgeon licence. cant keep one anyway. How could you possibly enforce it?
Youth / senior license - free to 5.00 $28.00

Sturgeon to easy to have "incidental catch" to have a licence for.

Canada resident 16-65
1 day - 20.00
1 week 32.00
1 year 50.00

(kids and seniors same price)same as other Canada Residents

1 day - 28.00
1 week - 38.00
1 year - 78.00

(kids and seniors same price)same as other Non Residents

Now tell me what's wrong with my thinking huntsfishfur ? Changes need to be made , I agree to a point with charging youth and seniors but just so they have to obtain a license and covers the isn't for that . Otherwise they should be free but still have to obtain a license so they can have a better idea of people who are fishing 16 and under and 65 and over . I don't see why something was once free forever then start charging that wont fly . Lodges and guides and other fishing related folks will be mighty angry about that .
You use you pay!
Fees for Canadian Resident and Non Resident as already proposed would be fine(ACA)

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-03-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 AM

Neither BC or Manitoba charge for a youth license, resident or non-resident, in fact I don't know of a province that does.

Last edited by Riverbc; 08-04-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
[/COLOR]

You use you pay!
Fees for Canadian Resident and Non Resident as already proposed would be fine(ACA)
Your out to lunch . The idea is to get more funds into ACA . And to get a better Idea of who are buying licenses and using them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
Neither BC or Manitoba charge for a youth license, resident or non-resident.
I don't think anyone said they did . I know I said that in BC and Manitoba the offer different things to there anglers that would be good here . Like the Specialty Sturgeon License that fishfurhunt doesn't think we need , however there is no retention ( harvest ) of sturgeon there either . And I like the Conservation and Harvest License that Manitoba has . But furhuntfish thinks otherwise . But that's why its all good to have different ideas and thoughts .
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
I agree fully.

Also..... No offense to the seniors but SOME seem to struggle with having to release fish.

Increase rates to non residents drastically please! Most of these funds are just Alberta's money coming full circle anyways.

I don't want to see funds going into other aspects of srd though. Fishing license revenue needs to be put back into fishing!!! And I love catching rainbows and all but I'd like to see something new or more stock of other species. I vote tiger trout!! Or splake! Hell I would pay an additional fee to fish lakes with rare fish.

Or take all that fundage and put into signage that reads "catch and release only", "no bait" lol

Aerators on all these winter kill lakes!!

Hopefully with the funds ACA can add columns to their stocking report for avg size and genome. Lol or maybe try stocking more than rainbows??

Make it a hundred a year for residents I'm cool with that.
I agree whole heartedly with fisherpotch, stock em, aerate em and mix up the species where possible. As far as charging kids under 16 to pay for a licence, don't forget where you came from, these kids are our future conservationists and as such, need every chance that they can get to go out and enjoy our sport. My nephews ( aged 3 and 6) will be headed towards " uncles secret spot" tommorow morning after breakfast, see you on the dock