Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Default Truck Canopy LEER vs. Raider

Hey all, I am in the process of getting a new truck canopy for my F-150. narrowred it down to comparable models of LEER vs. Raider, however the Raider is much cheaper (staff was also way nicer).

Anyone care to share their thoughts on LEER vs RAIDER?

any input is welcome.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2018, 04:00 PM

Leer is the Cadillac brand so to speak and you pay for it, Raider is more econo but still good quality from what I remember when I bought a canopy way back when.

If you plan to put a rack on it, ask if they can handle them. Some don't have the reinforcements fiber-glassed in the corners.

FYI: I had good dealings with Canopy West.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:08 PM

If I recall correctly from shopping around in 2011, Leer and Raider are owned by the same company.

I ended up buying Raider because it was on sale and I liked Truck Outfitter North in Calgary more than any Leer dealer and even Truck Outfitter South.

I bought a higher end Raider and it looks pretty much like a Leer. I opted to have rails installed in case I ever needed a roof rack. I have a 2011 Ford F150.

After 4 years, I found a hole in the gelcoat by the rear brake light. Had it looked at by the manager who dealt with Raider. Bottom line, they gave me a whole new canopy. The new one it is evident that they redesigned around the light. No issues with this one.

Pretty good warranty I thought.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM

I was looking for a canopy for my 2003 gmc ended up buying a used leer that is actually for a F-150, but it will do for now, I do like the leer
Old 09-24-2018, 06:27 PM

I think Raider is a Canadian company, might be better value
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_eight View Post
I think Raider is a Canadian company, might be better value
"Truck Accessories Group, LLC (TAG) is North America’s largest manufacturer of fiberglass and aluminum truck caps and tonneaus. The group is comprised of six companies: LEER, Pace Edwards, Century, Raider, StateWide Windows and Waypoint Logistics."

Artificial choice is all it is. Like most brands these days.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 AM

What about ARE?
I went with ARE, mainly because the dealer was easier to deal with than the Leer guy.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:13 AM

Thanks for everyone's input from what I can tell quality is the same only price that seems to change.

I am going to try and negotiate with LEER dealer and see how that goes.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM

I ordered a Leer for a Tundra in Great falls 4 years ago. It was 70% of the cost of the same one in Calgary.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:08 AM

I bought a Raider for my 2010 Chevy Silverado several years back and didn't have any issues with it. After upgrading my truck, I decided to try a different truck outfitter (Cap-it, as opposed to the Truck Outfitters) who sold LEER instead and was told that they are made in the same factory and just slap a different label/finishing on them once they ship them out the door.

Few notes:

I went with the slightly raised topper with both (Raider Cobra on the 2010 and LEER 180 on my 2015) and they do not seem to be the same - the LEER seems to be slightly more raised and has a larger back window. I preferred the Raider, as I just wanted a slight bit more room than a topper that is inline with the cab (I had an old LEER topper on a 1994 truck that was inline, so I appreciated the slight bit more room in the raised models)

I have had some quality issues with the LEER - the plastic casing holding the wiring has broken and is currently hanging, will have to bring it in for warranty work. LEER also places carpet on the interior fiberglass, which seems to hold smells (such as a nice wet-dog smell) and holds moisture from the dog when it's a bit cold out.

I do like the feature from LEER (not sure if Raider has this as well) that turns the interior light on when the back window is opened - think it was like a $20-$30 add on and well worth it.

All in all, I would probably go with a Raider if I could do it over again - I don't remember the prices being all that different and I preferred the size/quality to LEER.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoePolicyAnalyst View Post
I bought a Raider for my 2010 Chevy Silverado several years back and didn't have any issues with it. After upgrading my truck, I decided to try a different truck outfitter (Cap-it, as opposed to the Truck Outfitters) who sold LEER instead and was told that they are made in the same factory and just slap a different label/finishing on them once they ship them out the door.

Few notes:

I went with the slightly raised topper with both (Raider Cobra on the 2010 and LEER 180 on my 2015) and they do not seem to be the same - the LEER seems to be slightly more raised and has a larger back window. I preferred the Raider, as I just wanted a slight bit more room than a topper that is inline with the cab (I had an old LEER topper on a 1994 truck that was inline, so I appreciated the slight bit more room in the raised models)

I have had some quality issues with the LEER - the plastic casing holding the wiring has broken and is currently hanging, will have to bring it in for warranty work. LEER also places carpet on the interior fiberglass, which seems to hold smells (such as a nice wet-dog smell) and holds moisture from the dog when it's a bit cold out.

I do like the feature from LEER (not sure if Raider has this as well) that turns the interior light on when the back window is opened - think it was like a $20-$30 add on and well worth it.

All in all, I would probably go with a Raider if I could do it over again - I don't remember the prices being all that different and I preferred the size/quality to LEER.
The cargo lights turn on when the door is raised on Raider. I also have keyless entry. Hit the button on my key and the door locks or unlocks. A slight turn of the center handle and the door opens. Pretty slick.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Both are good canopies. A couple of things, make sure you get the side windows that open and lift out ofo the way on both sides. You will not believe how handy they are. Two, if you want to park a quad in the back with the canopy on, buy the raised rear version and back it in. Get at least one of the smaller rear side windows the slides open along with the front window slider if you want to carry dogs in the back or want to be able to sleep in the rear. A lot of guys recommend permanently bolting them to the truck, I still like the heavy duty clamps, even if you have to use two on the back. Boxes twist and flex and the clamps seem to accommodate this better. My current Raider is over 20 years old and all I ever did was have it painted when it started to fade after 15 years.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:38 PM

I bought a Leer XL for my F150 this spring with the carpeted headliner, roof rack, and sliding front window that tips out for cleaning. Seems like a good canopy, but delivery did take quite a while.

I got mine from Raven on the south side of Edmonton as they were the cheapest.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-26-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I bought a Leer XL for my F150 this spring with the carpeted headliner, roof rack, and sliding front window that tips out for cleaning. Seems like a good canopy, but delivery did take quite a while.

I got mine from Raven on the south side of Edmonton as they were the cheapest.

Thought I would add a picture.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Sharp looking truck.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I might soon be in the market for a topper. Can I ask how much that one was?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 PM

I like the Leer’s but don’t like the back door. It has no frame. All glass. I would prefer a door that has a frame cause the glass is not cheap. One good breeze and a million pieces. Don’t ask how i know lol. Been thru a couple out birding. Other than that luv the topper
Old 09-26-2018, 10:07 PM

The Leer 100R has a frame on the back glass, but the XR, XL, and XQ models are all one piece glass without a frame.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Both are good canopies. A couple of things, make sure you get the side windows that open and lift out ofo the way on both sides. You will not believe how handy they are. Two, if you want to park a quad in the back with the canopy on, buy the raised rear version and back it in. Get at least one of the smaller rear side windows the slides open along with the front window slider if you want to carry dogs in the back or want to be able to sleep in the rear. A lot of guys recommend permanently bolting them to the truck, I still like the heavy duty clamps, even if you have to use two on the back. Boxes twist and flex and the clamps seem to accommodate this better. My current Raider is over 20 years old and all I ever did was have it painted when it started to fade after 15 years.
Just to add to above. Good idea to check the clamps for tight occasionally. I check mine about twice a year and they are usually a wee bit loose.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Brain fart double posted!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:11 PM

I went with Leer from Raven, By far the best price and customer service. Now the 5 week wait .....
Old 09-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Picture of the canopy I was talking about, with the windows that open on each side. Front window, facing the cab, is a slider and the most to the rear right side window has a slider for venting and allowing a breeze while driving. A 2000 Honda Foreman 400 is backed into the box of the truck and there was still room to load the quartered moose.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:45 PM

I own a Leer 100 XQ and I’m not that impressed with the quality particularly the rear glass latches have rusted severely early on. The side window cranks are of poor quality and broke (now I’m reluctant to open them for fear of them breaking again). I have the optional removable front window (so you can remove it for cleaning, and the glass sliders are of poor quality (bad fit, don’t seal, move frequently due to vibration).

I’ve looked at Snug Top canopies and they seem much better.

Last edited by scesfiremedic; 09-27-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 09-27-2018, 06:12 PM

Flip up side windows are the way to go. They also are screened and slide open

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
^^ Nice lookin rig.

I have a Leer & I'm not impressed. The rear side flip out windows are a PITA to open and the front slider dosent open. I wouldn't use either so it's not a problem but the glass got busted out a few years back and after an exhaustive search I got the last piece made and if I remember right it was about $400. If it breaks again I'm hooped.

But it sits nice and flush and I got it for about $250 off Kijiji so I can't complain.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Super happy with the Leer on our Tacoma. Carpet inside, LED tailgate light, flush mount handle, good seal on gravel roads. I also put a rack on top, should easily support a RTT further down the road.