Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Walleye Tournament Fishermen

I would like to get some advice and/or opinions on two rods manufacturers.

I am going to upgrade 7 or 8 of my fishing rods. I am going to buy either G Loomis IMX/GLX rods or ST Croix Legend Elite or Legend Xtreme rods.

Do any of you have both, G Loomis and St Criox. If so I would like your opinion and/or advice, of which you perfer, likes, dislikes etc.

Thank You in advance.
KN
Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 AM

In that price range I don't believe you could go wrong with either brand. It is all going to come down to personal preference for handle style, rod selection etc.

If you are going to be getting that many rods maybe start out with 1 of each, try each one out a while to see which you prefer and then buy the rest. Or if you know someone with any of those rods see if you could try one. I don't think other peoples opinions are going to help that much since it just comes down to personal preference at that level.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 AM

I agree with RavCanoe. They're both excellent rods and you can't really go wrong with either.

I've used both. I've recently switched over from some Legend Elites to GLXs. I do prefer the GLX, I think they're slightly lighter and more sensitive. I like the titanium guides too. The biggest difference I noticed was in the quality of the reel seats. The GLX seats lock the reel down SOLID, there's no flex or loosening, whereas I found the seats on the Croix rods to have a fair bit of play in them especially when fighting big fish, and they had be tightened a bit now and then.

It comes down to personal preference in the end, but in my opinion, the Loomis is a better rod.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Default Rods

I have 5 G Loomis IMX rods, casting (2) and spinning rods (3) now, But I would like to get some input from someone who has both, the G Loomis and the St. Croix rods. I know that you probably can't go wrong with either, but I have never use a St Croix rods, so I am looking for an honest opinion on both. I would also like to know if anyone has just the IMX rods and the GLX rods (are the GLX rods worth the extr*****).

I know that the number of rods that I am going to purchase is a little excessive, but my wife is my tournament partner, so instead of, only needing two rods for each style of fishing, I need 4.

Thanks again KN
Old 08-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Gloomis and st croix rods are top notch . Preferably I run the st croix legend extreme. I love the carbon handle and the reel seat. I run 4 legend extreme med lite xtra fast. For live bait rigging it don't get much better. Just my opinion it's what your comfortable with for price and what kind of fishing ya do. The legend extremes have smaller guides wich I like better keeps line neater when picking up line after you have realesed line from bail.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Since you already have some G Loomis rods I would just try out a St. Croix. It won't be horrible so you can still use it even if you decide you like the G Loomis rods better.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM

You can't really go wrong with either rod. It would be narrowed down to feel, technique, species and if you can fish with it all day. Balance is the next step in choosing the rod, will it work and balance properly with the reel you have. I usually bring the reel that will be put on the rod ask for one over the counter.

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM

My Loomis GLX are far and away my fovorite rigging rods. The 7'6' ML is defintely a tobin lake special. That being said I only have avid and tournament st croix rods.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

I love my St. Croix rods. There are 4 in my boat.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Beware of G Loomis - I had a salmon rod that snapped fighting its first fish and they refused to warranty it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 AM

build your own, i buy rod blanks at Cabelas and put it all together, you can make it however you like.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM

I personally love my Quantum Smoke rods. I can't comment on the St. Croix rods because I have never used them. They will get a good work out at the Golden.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
Since you already have some G Loomis rods I would just try out a St. Croix. It won't be horrible so you can still use it even if you decide you like the G Loomis rods better.
Both good rods, I have owned both. There was a time that G Loomis was in a class of their own, but IMO that has not been the case for many years now. I am not a fan of G Loomis warranty at all, and no longer own any.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 PM

The St. Croix warranty is amazing. We snapped a rod fighting a fish while we were prefishing for the Slave Lake tournament. Once we got back to edmonton, my buddy took it back to Cabelas and they gave him a brand new rod a 3 years newer with no questions asked.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM

Or was it Cabelas customer service?

Sounds like it.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Really it come dwn to a personal preference , I have both but I prefer G-loomis over st.croix , I really like the gloom is backbone, feel and sensitivity , but I do use my st croix , I just find I'm always reaching for my gloomis walleye series rods vs. my st croix legend Elite's

My opinion

They all break I have broke both loomis and st croix , never had issue getting warranty from either , send rid in receive same rod back ... Never a issue never ! Best thing to do is buy one of each find what u like for your feel !!