Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Sako 85 SS or 75 Finnlight 300wm

I am going to Buy one these 2 guns, New, 75 finnlight or 85 SS. in 300 win mag. 75 $1550 plus shipping,GST, 85 $2000. If the 75 was SS I would buy it now, Just not sure about the fluted barrel? Looking for opinions!
Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 PM

The 75 Finnlite should be stainless,..I've never seen or heard of a blued Finnlite...

Buy the 75,...the 85 has a the goofy mag release but it can be modified...and the rear of the bolt is designed so it looks like there is something missing when the bolt is closed....

Some guys like the 85 stock design better,...I prefer the 75.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM

I bought a 75, but I am a bit desipointed. They say it comes from the factory tested to group 3 at 100 yards, but no one on the web or at the Sako site can tell me which ammo they used. The American gun shoother replied to me ans said they probebly use a foreign bullet (ammo). can anyone tell me what their having sucess with, I tried federal and Nosler, but not getting the results I'm looking for, beside that, I like the feel and the gun, stainless 270WSM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
The 75 Finnlite should be stainless,..I've never seen or heard of a blued Finnlite...

Buy the 75,...the 85 has a the goofy mag release but it can be modified...and the rear of the bolt is designed so it looks like there is something missing when the bolt is closed....

X2
Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:

By SS I meant Stainless/Synthec, The finnlight is Stainless/ synthetic with a fluted Barrel, and different Synthetic Stock. Just not so sure about barrel life/wear! Don't know why youd want to hack up a barrel,"Flute", to save a little weight, But it is the only new 75 I can find.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Default Sako 75

If you can find it in a 75 get it. I have a .270 WSM Finnlight and I really like it. I would get another if my budget allowed it!!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 PM

In a milder cartridge,I would go with the Finnlight,but in 300WM,I don't like the muzzle jump with such a light barrel.In this case,I would choose the 85.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I totally disagree, what is goofy about the mag release? It works as intended and works great.

The stock is a personal thing and everyone is different but that can be changed to whatever you please....I swapped mine out to a McMillan that is just like the Sako 75 stock design because it fits me better, but on my girlfriends, her Sako 85 finnlite has a McMillan on it that is similar to the Sako 85 stock. There are others that love the Sako 85 stock as is.

The bolt, I am not sure what you are talking about here, but I would like to see some pics to see the difference.

The Sako 75 finnlites have shorter barrels than the 85 finnlites...so that is something to consider.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
If you can find it in a 75 get it. I have a .270 WSM Finnlight and I really like it. I would get another if my budget allowed it!!
I like the stock on the 75, and you can load and unload a round with safety on, the 85 has to have the safety off to open the bolt while cocked, good and bad points. But I don't think I will buy a Finnlight in 300 wm. I happen to know where their are some 75's in 270 SS and finnlight, 270wsm SS and finnlight, 308 SS, 30-06 SS, and a 300wsm Hunter. Only one 75 in 300wm and it is a finnlight. Decided on the 85 unless I Find a 75 SS 300wm, here it is, at CANADIAN TIRE, Not Kidding! Kenora, Ont. www.ctgunshopkenora.com Hope Someone buys these up!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Actually you can open the bolt on a Sako 85 with the safety on...that is what the small lever/button in front of the safety is for. No need to take the safety off.

Here is a pic of it...

Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
...The Sako 75 finnlites have shorter barrels than the 85 finnlites...so that is something to consider.
The 85 finnlight barrel is longer than 24" ?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
The 85 finnlight barrel is longer than 24" ?
Sako 75 Finnlites have 24" barrels in the V and SM the rest have 20" barrels. The Sako 85's have 22" barrels in the M action lengths, 24" barrels in the SM and L actions and 20" in the S actions. So they lengthened the barrels in for the 30-06 based cartridges and the 6.5.

For some reason I was thinking he was looking for at a M action so they are the same length for what he wants.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 AM

I've never really spent any time with a 75 but I do really like my 85.

I dont find the mag release a pain at all. It's worked really good for me.

My synthetic stock is "average" for such a premium rifle but it does the job.

I find the rifle to be quite light and it handles really nice. The 85 stock design seems to fit me well.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Default hi

Hi was wondering what other Canadian Tire carry rifles?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM

The one in Red Deer has a good selection...last time I was in there they had some Sako 85 Finnlites...one in a 7mm-08 I was eyeing up.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
The one in Red Deer has a good selection...last time I was in there they had some Sako 85 Finnlites...one in a 7mm-08 I was eyeing up.
My 85 is in 7mm-08. I love it.

Didnt have any issue with dropping deer, coyotes and badgers this year.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
My 85 is in 7mm-08. I love it.

Didnt have any issue with dropping deer, coyotes and badgers this year.
It wont have issues dropping elk, bears, and moose either! Nothing in Alberta that a 7-08 cant handle for sure!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
It wont have issues dropping elk, bears, and moose either! Nothing in Alberta that a 7-08 cant handle for sure!
Would you Hunt 1000lb grizzlys with your 7mm? Don,t get me wrong Its a great cartridge. But while your walking around in Grizz country covered in Elk or moose Blood, packing around a whole lot of Bait on your back, What is the minimum Cal. you Want? Most people never see a Grizzly, This year while hunting in the 400s I have had 2 close calls. One was within 50 yrds of my Bull Elk, shot with a 270! Bear Spray and 2 other hunters Saved my A**. Grizz didnt seem to like the sound of the Quad either. Now, to be fair to the 1000lb 10' Grizzley charging at you, what is the Minimum Cal riffle you want to take in the bush? 270 has been retired to deer and yotes. 300wm, 338 wm, or 375 will be the only thing I take into the Bush, to be fair to the Bear, and my shorts.
And yes I reported it to Fish and Wildlife on both Occasions, Both times they sugested the 338 wm.
Next time your in really nice Elk country, ask yourself, "WHAT IS HUNTING YOU" and when are the Grizz Draws comming back?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
Would you Hunt 1000lb grizzlys with your 7mm? Don,t get me wrong Its a great cartridge. But while your walking around in Grizz country covered in Elk or moose Blood, packing around a whole lot of Bait on your back, What is the minimum Cal. you Want? Most people never see a Grizzly, This year while hunting in the 400s I have had 2 close calls. One was within 50 yrds of my Bull Elk, shot with a 270! Bear Spray and 2 other hunters Saved my A**. Grizz didnt seem to like the sound of the Quad either. Now, to be fair to the 1000lb 10' Grizzley charging at you, what is the Minimum Cal riffle you want to take in the bush? 270 has been retired to deer and yotes. 300wm, 338 wm, or 375 will be the only thing I take into the Bush, to be fair to the Bear, and my shorts.
And yes I reported it to Fish and Wildlife on both Occasions, Both times they sugested the 338 wm.
Next time your in really nice Elk country, ask yourself, "WHAT IS HUNTING YOU" and when are the Grizz Draws comming back?

LOL...dont you read the propaganda....there are only 500 griz bears in Alberta.

I see them so often I should probably go and buy a lottery ticket.

This was my first season of hunting with a 7mm-08 and I absolutely loved it. I wouldnt have an issue with using it for any of the hunting I'm doing but I'd definately feel a bit more secure in carrying a larger calibre rifle for protection when in Griz country.

The 20'' barrel 375 Ruger has my name all over it.