Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2024, 11:04 AM

Default How much should firefighters be paid ?

An article from the CBC. Do I sense of entitlement ? Give the homeless a shovel. That's a joke.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whatonearth...-pay-1.7206766

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-18-2024, 12:24 PM

Back in the day, when there was a lot of fires and not enough workers, they would stroll through bars/taverns and make anyone without a job go out and fight the fires.
Doubt that would fly today but it should.
And 22 bucks an hour to fight fire isn’t nearly enough.
I remember when I quit school in the late 80’s and went out fighting fire, it was terrible. Camped in tents way out west on the chinchaga, no creek nearby or anything to wash up or bathe for weeks at a time. Was nasty.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:46 PM

And zero health benefits. So if your lungs get compromised or injured by a falling tree the worker, is on his own. As the story says you get better pay working in a Tim Hortons. The provincial government has had more than a few years to sort this out and this is it. What a joke.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:09 PM

In my area in the sw its your farmer neighbors that are going to be your best bet getting a fire out. No fancy chemical trucks , tiny water tanks, command centers or protocols. MD grader guys or some of them are pretty gutsy as well.
Grass,crop fires pretty common. We dont even bother to call fire dept. Better to call neighboring farms and get at it.
Another thing is priorities. I dont care about solar farms or oil leases as much as I do about neighbors and their outfits.
Old 05-18-2024, 02:23 PM

I signed up to fight them when they were bad down in BC, guess it was close to 20 years ago now. I don't remember what they paid me, but it was too much. It was, "Here is the Jerry Can, there is the pump, don't let it run out of gas and don't fall asleep, we'll come pick you up in 12 hours".
Old 05-18-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
And zero health benefits. So if your lungs get compromised or injured by a falling tree the worker, is on his own. As the story says you get better pay working in a Tim Hortons. The provincial government has had more than a few years to sort this out and this is it. What a joke.
And when your Notley was in charge and spent 82 billion on who knows what did anything improve for the firefighters, I mean she could have enshrined benefits, $50/hr, and a permanent workforce of say 2000 with legislation. So as a CBC groupie don't just stop at bashing the UCP. What about the trillion dollars our PM gave away to who knows where. Since he is so concerned about climate change why didn't he start a Canada firefighting strategy, purchase water bombers, more helicopters, equipment, training schools, etc. Remember how he gave millions to a Quebec company for ventilators and just recently dumped them as surplus for 10 dollars each. But that doesn't bother you because you didn't hear it on CBC.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:41 PM

Oh give the NDP bashing a break on here. The UCP are in power and have been for more than a few years. They are in charge of the provincial policy with regards to fire fighting. Firefighting has changed. If you expect someone to do a dangerous job like that pay them appropriately.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:02 PM

Default Firefighters

Not sure how many folks have been face to face with one of these bad boys, It is one of the scariest moments you will ever encounter.

No these guys on the ground do not get paid enough.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:19 PM

Just to be clear, the vast majority of the “fire fighters” at 22 bucks an hour being referred to here, are not on the ground battling a blazing forest fire.
They are there after the fire has gone through putting out “hotspots” with a Wajax bag and axe. Very little danger.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Just to be clear, the vast majority of the “fire fighters” at 22 bucks an hour being referred to here, are not on the ground battling a blazing forest fire.
They are there after the fire has gone through putting out “hotspots” with a Wajax bag and axe. Very little danger.
The sky is always falling in liberal land. Who cares about the truth? Really.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-18-2024, 09:09 PM

Fire Prevention Thru Environmental Design

Alberta could ensure that Hutterite colonies are strategically placed to prevent forest fires....no trees, no fire. Pretty simple....