Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-29-2019, 07:25 AM

Default Groenewold fur and wool

When a buyer comes and looks at your fur, does he pay with cash or by cheque? I know that being payed with a cheque from a travelling fur buyer would be a chance that I personally wouldn’t want to take. Especially when there have been cases of fur cheque’s bouncing. It’s a shame, but in today’s world, trust isn’t what it used to be.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
When a buyer comes and looks at your fur, does he pay with cash or by cheque? I know that being payed with a cheque from a travelling fur buyer would be a chance that I personally wouldn’t want to take. Especially when there have been cases of fur cheque’s bouncing. It’s a shame, but in today’s world, trust isn’t what it used to be.
I’m out 500$ from a NAFA bounced cheque so what’s the difference
Old 11-30-2019, 11:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Dave, youre right, Alberta didnt need another low paying fur dealer. If these folks were just another run of the mill buyer then i wouldn't have jumped on board. Im a commission buyer, just paid a set amount per head. The have set levels to pay and i pay those set amounts by grade. Those established levels are called world market levels.

Rod, GFW would generally have fur bought for them by their broker, he bought everything from hogh end cats and lynx to wolves to ermine. Quite the guy, a wealth of knowledge.

As it isnt safe to drive around with gobs of cash, cheques and wire transfers are common today. If that isnt good enough you can send your goods to auction and get their cheque and hope they dont go bankrupt. I cantvaffotd to hire an amoured truck to follow me around all da!

Do note... NAFA isnt the first wild fur auction to go bankrupt. Perhaps study relatively recent history.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:08 AM
Banned

Are you going to be buying all grades of Yotes, Marty, or just the higher, marketable grades?

I’d also be curious if you’ll be buying deer, elk and moose hides.

The first auction will tell the tale when the auction prices less drumming and commissions are compared to GFW prices.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 AM

I guess I like model of our past ATA president Gordy K. He would pay cash and you had a real store/building. If Gordy grossly under payed for pelt you could come to his outdoor supply store, let him know you were not pleased, and not buy any traps from him.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Default Groenewold fur

The fellows we’ve been dealing with the past few years come out on site and pay us cash. No problem.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:51 AM

Safety is a huge issue when travelling with that much cash. Returning with a truck load of fur (at today's prices) not so much. This year may be more of a gamble for fur buyers.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you going to be buying all grades of Yotes, Marty, or just the higher, marketable grades?

I’d also be curious if you’ll be buying deer, elk and moose hides.

The first auction will tell the tale when the auction prices less drumming and commissions are compared to GFW prices.
Sorry Dave, others, didn't catch all the questions. Been very busy.

GFW buys everything, they don't just pick and chose and leave the trapper with a picked over collection with the desire-ables out and the non-desire-able unsold for great lengths of time. They buy all grades of coyotes, lynx, marten, beaver, rats, coon, wolves, otters, wolverine, even ermine.

Squirrels kinda tough these days, lotsa squirrels buy-able at auction for 0.25 unless they cleared them out... hope so. But otters are a zero demand item and they will buy them, not great prices but it puts money in the trappers pocket for his efforts instead of nothing. Can't pay bills with unsold skins.

GFW might buy deer hides, elk moose etc in the USA, but they are currently not buying such items here in Canada. Perhaps in the future, but currently the door is only open a crack, ZERO prep time and the season was upon us.

I guess we are buying castoreum. I'm told at $80 per pound, that may be for clean, may be for all. The "CastorMan" is buying for GFW in Ontario somewhere, therefore GFW has access to one of the very best castor outlets.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Did anyone find out if payments will be cash or cheque on Dec 17
Your bank will put a 5 business day HOLD on a cheque
Old 12-08-2019, 09:41 PM
AO Sponsor

Some very big averages happening on the coyotes these days in the country!!!

Sounds like a lot of coyotes to be had this season, big numbers. Could be a very large harvest, sell early, sell often to take advantage of the spike. If there’s an overproduction such as a few years ago, the prices could easily soften later in the season.

Harvest size is always directly tied to price. The country buying by the large companies rallying for goods sets the values for the year in addition to what has happened at auction in previous season. Even some of the big Italian buyers are seeking goods in the country this year, desiring uniformity in their purchased collections which has always been a sore spot for them traditionally at auction, as well as dodging the excess auction fees. I do believe that is one plus of FHA over NAFA, from the buyers perspective, I do believe FHAs buyer fees are lower than NAFAs.

That’s coyotes.

Then the other stuff, selling to the various buyers moves your goods and puts the money in your pocket rather than having the less desired goods sit unsold for very lengthy time periods. Some buyers have standing orders for many goods at set levels, and in addition to that, some buyers speculate buy on a long term basis, buying goods and waiting for the orders to come.

GFW buys a lot of otherwise unwanted goods and sorts/grades and catalogues the goods. Then they make the goods available/known to their potential buyers and when the buyers are ready, they make their order and GFW fills it it’s their available inventories.

Cool company, I jumped on with them, not to get rich, but because this is a very good thing for the Alberta/Canadian trappers.

The more people standing there waving cash at the trappers, the better it is for the trapper. However, there is a shortage of people standing there waving money at the trappers these days for anything other than coyotes.

Do note... GFW buys most everything.

Last edited by Marty S; 12-08-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:53 AM

Relationship building.
I'm not sure I can get to Red deer on the 17th so I hope GFW has been invited to Westlock for the Christmas Open House on the 14th.
Meet and greet, relationship building.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Relationship building.
I'm not sure I can get to Red deer on the 17th so I hope GFW has been invited to Westlock for the Christmas Open House on the 14th.
Meet and greet, relationship building.
It’s not our building, and the ATA promotes the FHA. I’m sure we’d be welcome for coffee and donuts but weren’t asked to set up, besides our guys will be in Thompson that day.

We will be in Athabasca, Debolt, Minburn and again in Red Deer week of Jan 16 to Jan 19.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=373620
Old 12-14-2019, 10:53 PM

Well had first experience with gfw in sask in pa they had 3 diff fur buyers an u went threw an they each gave u a offer was hoping gfw was gonna. Be the top seller but I sold to a diff buyer along with most the people there
Old 12-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Who was the buyer you ended up selling to?