Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Vanguard S2 Ammo

Hey guys I just recently picked up a 30-06 vanguard and I’m just wondering what you guys use and prefer to shoot out of it. Zeroed on 165gr fusions but I would like something that shoots more consistent.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:59 PM

Default What type of Shooting

What type of shooting are you doing? Target Hunting PRS Fclass?

If hunting what type of game?

Do you prefer penetration and blood trail or Rapid expansion and bang flop?

Lots of variables need to be defined before we can make recommendations

Happy to help though.

Budget will help too.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMBER1HUNTSMAN View Post
Hey guys I just recently picked up a 30-06 vanguard and I’m just wondering what you guys use and prefer to shoot out of it. Zeroed on 165gr fusions but I would like something that shoots more consistent.
My .270 loves Winchester deer and antelope 130 gr ---one of my favorite guns
Old 07-30-2020, 03:44 PM

Let the rifle tell you what you should be using.
Even 2 consecutively serial numbered rifles can have Jeckle and Hyde preferences for ammo.

As for projectile choice, I’d just stay clear of polymer tipped cup/core bullets.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 07-30-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
What type of shooting are you doing? Target Hunting PRS Fclass?

If hunting what type of game?

Do you prefer penetration and blood trail or Rapid expansion and bang flop?

Lots of variables need to be defined before we can make recommendations

Happy to help though.

Budget will help too.
Hunting mostly deer, sheep, and sometimes elk. And honestly I’m just looking for a decent bullet that groups well. A well placed shot can take care of the rest. I’d rather not spend $60 per box either. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Even 2 consecutively serial numbered rifles can have Jeckle and Hyde preferences for ammo.

As for projectile choice, I’d just stay clear of polymer tipped cup/core bullets.
I’m planning on buying 3 or 4 different brands/types to see what the rifle shoots best. Just thought I’d see what everyone else’s gun likes to point me in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:56 PM

Default Unique

Your gun is unique. it will not by default like ammo someone elses choice in ammo.

If you are cost sensitive, try federal blue box. For the money I have had modest success with this ammo. It grouped well. Here is a link to a discussion about it on this forum.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=316140

If you are willing to spend a little more I have had good luck with Hornady Precision hunter. There are a couple places you could start.

In todays day and age its a great time to be a sportsman, we have an incredible amount of choices and options that are available. Todays machining technology has given us advantages in accuracy and ballistics or forebearers could only dream of.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:16 PM

Crap shoot at best...
Start with what type/ bullet you want/ prefer for performance on game then select manufacturer who uses that bullet. You can pick and choose based on price. It's a Crap shoot how they will shoot in your rifle, if your first choice doesn't meet the accuracy standard you set, move on to the next brand. And so on..
Old 07-30-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Your gun is unique. it will not by default like ammo someone elses choice in ammo.

If you are cost sensitive, try federal blue box. For the money I have had modest success with this ammo. It grouped well. Here is a link to a discussion about it on this forum.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=316140

If you are willing to spend a little more I have had good luck with Hornady Precision hunter. There are a couple places you could start.

In todays day and age its a great time to be a sportsman, we have an incredible amount of choices and options that are available. Todays machining technology has given us advantages in accuracy and ballistics or forebearers could only dream of.
Thanks for the thread. I’ll give that blue box a try.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:46 PM

Justfishins post mirrors my own experience with my S2 270 so much so that I don’t bother reloading for it
Old 07-31-2020, 07:16 AM

Even if you're gun might not like it, I would suggest starting with those Winchesters.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:50 AM

You often hear the stories of Guns being so different in preferences for laods and ammo. Truthfully, they are a lot closer to alike than different. There are loads that work in 98% of rifles. My most tested example is 12.6 grains of Lil"Gun in WW brass with a 40 grain Vmax and Fed Small Pistol primer. In over 2 dozen 22 Hornet rifles, that load shoots under an inch. Some it will shoot a quarter inch. I never had a rifle that would not shoot that load well. You can tune COAL or .1-.2 on the powder load either way to optimize that load for a particular rifle, but if a 22 Hornet would not shoot the basic load I knew there was something wrong with the gun.

There is ammo that consistently shoots good and it does so in many rifles. The problem you have on this website it there are very few of us that actually shoot factory ammo. Personally, the only time I shoot factory ammo is when it is cheaper to shoot factory to get brass that to buy the brass. My 257 Bee is like that, I can buy loaded Weatherby Select ammo for $48/20, which is the same as brass. That ammo will shoot 1/2", my hand loads are about the same. If it wasn't for bullet choice there would be no point in loading for that gun. Same is true of the half dozen 7x57 and 7x57Rs I have had. Sellier and Bellot ammo, again bought because it was the same price as brass, will consistently shoot under an inch, it isn't expensive ammo at $25/20 and the bullets kill game well.

In your case using a 30-06 I would suggest you start with a 165 grain bullet. I like Barnes for a hunting bullet, therefore I would first try the Barnes Vortex ammo for hunting, as long as it will shoot an inch or better you are good to go. For practice, breaking the rifle in etc I suggest Winchester or Sellier and Bellot or Privi because it produces good brass you can reload later or sell. I would also buy this in 165 grain, as they will make a good hunting round as well. My bet is these too will shoot near the 1" mark. Federal Blue box is as cheap, but the market for Federal Brass is not near as good.

Precision built factory ammo like Barnes, Hornady or Nosler will in many case shoot as good as most peoples hand loads, and it does it in a wide range of guns.

List of the commonly available Premium ammo.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...roundup/247587

Last edited by Dean2; 07-31-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:06 AM

I like that Barnes ammo too, was all set to use on my new Sako. Started with the core lokts to break in, great groups, on to the Barnes--not so much--back to the core lokts--half the price and touching groups at 100 yards --fine with me!
Old 07-31-2020, 02:02 PM

I owned a Vanguard S2 in 30-06 and there was really only 1 round it didn't seem to like which was Federal Trophy Tip. Only tried those in 165 but it sprayed them for whatever reason. It liked nearly everything else I tried which was Federal Blue Box, Fusion, Hornady American Whitetail and Winchester (I think it was standard white\grey box). Put all of those in or around an inch more or less. It loved Nosler Ballistic Tips, Federal Tropy Copper and Sierra Game Kings in 165, though. Super consistent. Would make ragged holes with those if I paid attention. I hadn't tried, but I suspect since it shot the TC so well that it would shoot the Barnes exceptionally well, too. Also didn't seem picky about weights. Was a differnt point of impact with other weights, but still very consistent. Rifle wasn't picky overall.

Have a Tikka now in 30-06 and it's about the same. Loves anything Nosler (especially BT and Accubond) and Game Kings in 165. Boringly consistent.

If it were me, when in doubt, I'd buy a box of Blue Box in 150 just cause they tend to shoot well and are so inexpensive. Can do some break-in and see how it likes 150's. Or 180s if that's what you're planning on using. Then when you see how it goes and you're thinking about a 2nd, 3rd or 4th option I'd go with Game Kings followed very closely by Nosler BT and then TTSX in 150 or 165. I'd personally go with 165 first but see what your rifle is telling you. I can practically guarantee you though that one of those should print well....if not all of them. Also, not sure if you're aware, but Winchester does their Ballistic Silver Tip that's a Nosler BT bullet and they have mail-in rebates every so often. I got a box last season for around $35-$40 I think. Bought them just because. Great as well.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I like that Barnes ammo too, was all set to use on my new Sako. Started with the core lokts to break in, great groups, on to the Barnes--not so much--back to the core lokts--half the price and touching groups at 100 yards --fine with me!
Cost means nothing as far as accuracy goes, some bullets are really sensitive to seating depth in some rifles, so a handload developed for that rifle may shoot much better than a factory load using the same bullet. Other bullets seem to shoot well in other rifles, with varying seating depths.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMBER1HUNTSMAN View Post
Remington Core Loct 165grn.....
Deer, Black bear and Moose will fall down iffen you do your job.
Rob
Old 08-01-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

This pretty much should have been a thread stopper right here. Not too much can be added without running the risk of being proven very wrong.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 PM

I’ve got a Vanguard S2 in 7RM and it loves the Barnes LRX in 168 grain. I’ve got that loaded with Retumbo and can get 0.3MOA if I do my part consistently!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk