Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 11:44 AM

Default Cadex Rifles

Is there anyone on the forum that has shot a Cadex Rifle or owns one? How do they compare to other rifles like the Accuracy International or an Alberta Tactical Build?

I have heard good things about there Chassis systems but i dont know anything about there actual rifles other than they use Bartlien barrel's.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Never shot or owned one....yet. But I was down at the shooting center in red deer and was handling a few of them.
They feel like really nice rifles, very rigid and well made
If I had an extra 6k to spend on another rifle I would for sure be looking at one of these.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 PM

I have shot one in 300 win mag. Accurate, very little recoil. Wasn't set up for me but was able to keep sub moa groups. Trigger was OK. Would need to set one up to fit me to give better judgement on one. The muzzle brake worked well.

I prefer my TRG 22, much better trigger. I prefer a non pistol grip as well.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 AM

I have an AI and a TRG and have only played with the trigger on one at the store. I would say TRG trigger>AI trigger>Cadex trigger but that is just my personal opinion.

They seem well made and all that kind of stuff but there is very little in the way of real world reviews out there. I have heard Cadex is hesitant to hand them out for review.

A guy did take a top spot in the Meaford match with one though.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 PM

Never played with the cadex rifle but I have one of there chassis and love it. Tried their two stage rem 700 trigger didn't like it but two stage has never been my thing and the plastic trigger shoe just felt strange.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 10-05-2016, 03:14 PM

I'd rate AI well above ATRS.

From my experience with 4-5 AI's and 8-10 ATRS. No comparison.

I have yet to see/shoot a full Cadex. I don't care for their stocks though. I prefer usefulness over useless flash.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
I'd rate AI well above ATRS.

From my experience with 4-5 AI's and 8-10 ATRS. No comparison.

I have yet to see/shoot a full Cadex. I don't care for their stocks though. I prefer usefulness over useless flash.
You must not understand the design features
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 10-27-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
I have shot one in 300 win mag. Accurate, very little recoil. Wasn't set up for me but was able to keep sub moa groups. Trigger was OK. Would need to set one up to fit me to give better judgement on one. The muzzle brake worked well.

I prefer my TRG 22, much better trigger. I prefer a non pistol grip as well.
I just ordered the Cadex Guardine Lite in 6.5 CM, I sure hope I don't regret it

The order was simply based on handling the chassis, felt good to hold. Looking at the rifle, it seems they are mimicking what seems to work and is praised on other rifles...so I just hope the rifle is more than just a sum of its parts.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:39 PM

Default I bought one

I bought one on Saturday. I went with the Sheepdog action in the Strike Nuke Chasiss/Stock. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet. I will try and post a review once I do. Ill also post some photos and if it goes well some groups. Bought a box of the Hornady 140 ELDM Match ammo.

Went with a 6.5 Creed.

Early Impression after doing a bit of tinkering on it.
1) Action is smooth
2) Mlock are handy
3) The trigger seems easy to adjust. I Havent moved the shoe yet so dont know about that.
4) Everything seems very solidly built.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:42 AM

I own two.

An R7 in 6.5 creedmoor and a 33 patriot in 338 lapua.

Wouldnt hesitate to buy another one. Super accurate, recoil is nill, and tough as nails.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:18 AM

I shot one s big a few weeks back , one of the rifles from Rob Furlong's Crew that one of his team had up here .
Everybody who tried it liked it .
Can't tell you too much about it except they shoot Hornday 168's with Leuplod glass .

The rifle was accurate off a bipod at 500( less than 1 MOA in the wind), nice trigger and comfortable .
Very smooth action .
I'm a bit hesitant when I see the price of this type of rifle however even for a serious competition rig
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-23-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:32 AM

Default Not Cheap

No Cat they are definately not cheap. You sure have that right.

But I did the math on my last build

Rem 700 action $750
Stock $700
Barrel $500
Other stuff $1000
total $3000 ish nish

After you factor in the smith work your about the same price as a rifle like this. Both probably shoot equally as well.

The intial stick shock is hard to swallow. Buying pieces one at a time makes it seem way cheaper! Plus its easier to get past the Mrs. one piece at a time !
Old 07-23-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
No Cat they are definately not cheap. You sure have that right.

But I did the math on my last build

Rem 700 action $750
Stock $700
Barrel $500
Other stuff $1000
total $3000 ish nish

After you factor in the smith work your about the same price as a rifle like this. Both probably shoot equally as well.

The intial stick shock is hard to swallow. Buying pieces one at a time makes it seem way cheaper! Plus its easier to get past the Mrs. one piece at a time !
Buying a piece at a time us a little little easier to handle as well!
However if a guy is just getting into shooting , a little looking around helps a lot .
I just purchased a M70 target rifle at a fraction of the cost of a new one, and it shoots very well indeed .
308, Mk4 16x with 1/8 MOA target dot , mag fed (if that is important ) and a very good stock designed by experts for National course shooting .
No, it's not a new bling filled pistol grip chassis but the stock was pillar bedded by a true expert and it makes the trip to 1 K no problem
I also helped a guy put together a rifle on a MDT chassis this wwinter, all used parts and it shooots riighht out there as well.
All in with a Vortex scope he was at$1,,2000 bbucks, for a biginner that is fantastic.
However, if a guy has the cash to spend, a Cadex is no slouch in the accuracy department as far as rifles go!

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-23-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Nice

There is something beautiful about a wood stocked rile. Not gonna lie you have some real beauties in your collection.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
There is something beautiful about a wood stocked rile. Not gonna lie you have some real beauties in your collection.
Thanks and they all shoot really well , too
Cat
Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 PM
Banned

Cadex makes a variety of models. Might want to be more specific. 4 lug actions are awfully heavy on cocking force. 12 lbs is steep and disruptive when getting ready to fire a second shot.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:54 PM

Default Bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Cadex makes a variety of models. Might want to be more specific. 4 lug actions are awfully heavy on cocking force. 12 lbs is steep and disruptive when getting ready to fire a second shot.
I actually decided to buy one. Its a 4 Lug Sheep Dog action chambered in 6.5 Creed. I am very happy with it. It shoots like a dream. I havent noticed that the bolt through is that bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.5 Creed CDX-7 Sheepdog side.jpg (76.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 6.5 Creed Dime Group.jpg (47.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
I actually decided to buy one. Its a 4 Lug Sheep Dog action chambered in 6.5 Creed. I am very happy with it. It shoots like a dream. I havent noticed that the bolt through is that bad.
Measure it. Work = force x distance. Well known fact that the 3 and 4 lug actions disturb the rifle when cocking. Made from modern materials with cost cutting measures puts it eight where it belongs in price point.

There is a reason 2 lug actions are dominating. Like most things in life nothing is free.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:10 AM

Default Point taken

Physics is Physics. That is true there is no free lunch.

Doesnt mean that I dont prefer the lower bolt throw and how it feels. You may prefer the two lugs and that is great. Its a free country and to each there own.

I am just glad we as firearms owners are given choices. Its a great time to be a shooter. Lots of options.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:18 AM

Default That being said

That being said it seems like a nice rifle. I like the features. I like the funtion. The accuracy is demonstrable. It shot 5 into a dime on my first day out with factory ammo. I dont see whats not to like?

Is the rifle for everyone, Nope I am sure there are those out there that wouldnt like it for various reasons. But for me and the kind of shooting that I like to do its dang near the perfect choice.

I am curious what cost cutting and quality diminishing elements you are refering to. Did you used to work for Cadex?

Is there something I should be concerned about with my new rifle? I tuely need to know.