Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Default Sight In Without Wasting Ammunition

I am starting to see some people sighting in their hunting rifles again, and some people are using a lot of rounds, and not getting much for results. Instead of firing a group, and making a scope adjustment, some people are adjusting after each shot. If you typically shoot 1 to 2 moa groups, there is no point making small adjustments based on one shot, as the deviation in your groups is larger than the adjustments that you are making. This results in some people wasting 20-40 shots chasing the point of impact around the target. Once you are on the paper, fire a three shot group, then adjust the scope based on the group. If you do this, you can usually have a scope zeroed with 6 to 9 shots at most. And let the barrel cool fully before shooting again, in case the point of impact moves when the barrel heats up. The people that are chasing the point of impact around the target, by adjusting after each shot, usually end up with a barrel that is too hot to even hold in your hand.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:15 PM

Good helpy post.

I’ll be hitting the range lots over the next three weeks

Kids need to shoot thief big bangers more.

Lay off the gophers for a bit

I had a buddy instruct me on this other sight in method.

Shooter shoots at 25 or 50.... if he hits paper, he stays looking at the zero while a buddy clicks over the scope so the scope zero hits POI

Then shoot for center again... see how she goes.

This of course depends on the shooter maintaining their shooting position well.

It gets a guy able to shoot the 100yard paper quicker..... for adjustments of 3groups.

I’ve tried this and ya.... she works

Anyone else do this?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-03-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Good helpy post.

Shooter shoots at 25 or 50.... if he hits paper, he stays looking at the zero while a buddy clicks over the scope so the scope zero hits POI

It gets a guy able to shoot the 100yard paper quicker..... for adjustments of 3groups.

Anyone else do this?
I chase the bullet strike with the reticle, yes but I bore sight at 200 meters that way then sight in at the same distance and adjust the same way.
I can normally do it within 5 rounds
Cat
Old 08-03-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Good helpy post.

Anyone else do this?
I set the rifle on the rest and bags, remove the bolt , and then center the 100m target in the bore. Then I adjust the crosshairs so that they are also centered on the target with the bore. Then I shoot at 100m , and am always on the target with the first shot. If I am several inches from dead center, I fire one shot, and then make a rough adjustment, and then fire a three shot group, to base my fine adjustment on. Then it's usually one fine adjustment, and one more group to verify.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:14 PM
Banned

Someone needs to post some posters up at ranges with how to on sighting in so all the noobs can get it down right rather than sending $100s of ammo down range with no results.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Never tried it, but it's on the net so must be valid.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...ake%20a%20shot.

Grizz
Old 08-03-2020, 06:23 PM

The last rifle I mounted a scope on took me 8 shots total 3 at 25, 3 at 100m and 2 at 200m to confirm.

LC
Old 08-03-2020, 06:27 PM

If I can do the thru the bore bore sight, it’s usually 4-5 shots to establish a huntable zero.

Good bags and rests are essential, if you’re rolling up a coat or a soft gun case expect far less than optimal results.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-03-2020, 06:28 PM

Default Sure took me more than one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Hm.... just one shot hey..?

I think I wound up shooting like 12 rounds before she was good good

But I did also move out to 100 yards to finish

All this scope stuff is new to me.... I’ve really only hunted with a scope recently

Iron sights was how I always got er done.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-03-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Yes the one shot sight in is a good starting point. Then go to 3 shot groups like Elk posted and do some fine adjustments.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I set the rifle on the rest and bags, remove the bolt , and then center the 100m target in the bore. Then I adjust the crosshairs so that they are also centered on the target with the bore. Then I shoot at 100m , and am always on the target with the first shot. If I am several inches from dead center, I fire one shot, and then make a rough adjustment, and then fire a three shot group, to base my fine adjustment on. Then it's usually one fine adjustment, and one more group to verify.
I find that it is very helpful to use an orange clay pigeon for the target by which you converge bore with scope reticle.

As Dick said, using a proper rest and rear bag is essential.

If it takes more than 6 or 7 shots to zero then something is wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF07A7HaR38

Last edited by sns2; 08-03-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:35 PM

Bushnell Bore Sighter! Best money spent! Used it many times and worked perfect!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 PM
Banned

Took 5 rounds to get onto zero at 100. 3 shot group 2” high walked right out to 600 with turret. No bore sighted needed man that 300 wsm is a light kicker beautiful shooting rifle
Old 08-03-2020, 09:08 PM

Helpful post Elk. I use a golf ball to bore sight with the bolt out, works might fine!!
Old 08-03-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I chase the bullet strike with the reticle, yes but I bore sight at 200 meters that way then sight in at the same distance and adjust the same way.
I can normally do it within 5 rounds
Cat
This is how I was taught. Works well and saves ammunition sighting in. I also would practice shooting in hunting situations. That was the most beneficial to me.

BW
Old 08-03-2020, 09:48 PM

Sighting in a rifle for the first time for big game hunting and taking lots of shots to know exactly where your bullets hitting paper at different distances is fun and critical to me.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:22 PM

I don’t need to go to the range , they sighted my scope in at the gun store , it should be good right? 😜
Old 08-04-2020, 09:09 AM

I use redstartargets
http://www.redstartarget.com/store/1...25x10-packages

Its 1" squares so at 100 yards each 4 clicks is 1 moa on most scopes

This way if you shoot off your point of impact by 3 inches high and 2 left you can adjust 3 moa down and 2 moa right to be where you need to be since you are able to the grid outline
Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
I use redstartargets
http://www.redstartarget.com/store/1...25x10-packages

Its 1" squares so at 100 yards each 4 clicks is 1 moa on most scopes

This way if you shoot off your point of impact by 3 inches high and 2 left you can adjust 3 moa down and 2 moa right to be where you need to be since you are able to the grid outline
Targets aren't the issue for most people, their procedure is. Some waste shots because they don't know how to get the first shot on the target, some don't use a proper rest, some let the barrel heat up, some can't figure out how much to adjust the scope at a given range, and many adjust scopes based on one shot, and chase the point of impact around the target.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Sighting in a rifle for the first time for big game hunting and taking lots of shots to know exactly where your bullets hitting paper at different distances is fun and critical to me.
Initial zeroing and practicing at different distances are two different things however!
Once my initial zeroing is down burn a pile of powder in my rifles to the tune of more than 40 pounds of powder a year in my target rifles and hunting rifles combines!
Cat
Old 08-04-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Sight In Without Wasting Ammunition

I've been at the range about 5 times recently trying to find what factory ammo my new barrel likes. Tried Winchester, Hornady, HSM, Sako and Federal in weights from 165-200 gr. I'm by no means a marksman but today I finally found the loads that my gun seems to like. The 180 grain Federal Trophy Bonded tip came in second with a marginal 3 shot group at 230 yards. The 200 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw came in first with a tight 3 shot group at 230 yds. Now its time to find a range with targets in the 300 yd category! Bring on the elk season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6254.jpg (44.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6253.jpg (24.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6252.jpg (24.4 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by antelope whisperer; 08-04-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: adding photos
Old 08-04-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Initial zeroing and practicing at different distances are two different things however!
Once my initial zeroing is down burn a pile of powder in my rifles to the tune of more than 40 pounds of powder a year in my target rifles and hunting rifles combines!
Cat
You shoot over 6000 rounds a year in your target rifle?
I thought I did good if I could shoot 2000 rounds on score.
That's a lot of shooting, sure wish I had that much time!!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne 1 View Post
You shoot over 6000 rounds a year in your target rifle?
I thought I did good if I could shoot 2000 rounds on score.
That's a lot of shooting, sure wish I had that much time!!
Not in one rifle , no , in all my rifles combined.
For a few years I laid off as well because of shoulder issues I couldn't shoot , but I am back into it and am out to the range about every other day and sometimes four days in a row .
Cat
Old 08-04-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:

I did this a few years ago with my red dot on my AR. Was actually just messing around with no real expectations but was pleasantly surprised at how close I was.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:06 AM

I zero at 400 yards or more. In other words, I generally use a reticle or turrets that allow me to zero at longer distances. Usually less than four shots will get you there. Bore sight (usually I’ve been load developing so over the course of time an approximate zero has been established so no bore sighting needed). Shoot one shot at 100. Adjust scope to where your trajectory should be. Then shoot at distance and usually shots two or three will be walked onto your zero.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-05-2020, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I zero at 400 yards or more. In other words, I generally use a reticle or turrets that allow me to zero at longer distances. Usually less than four shots will get you there. Bore sight (usually I’ve been load developing so over the course of time an approximate zero has been established so no bore sighting needed). Shoot one shot at 100. Adjust scope to where your trajectory should be. Then shoot at distance and usually shots two or three will be walked onto your zero.
What's the reasoning behind the 400 yard zero?
Old 08-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
What's the reasoning behind the 400 yard zero?
Accuracy. Now remember I’m zeroing reticles that have aiming points. The crosshairs will be zeroed between 200 and 250 yards when done.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-05-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
This is the way I have done all of my life as well as long as it is a bolt action.
I will also sometimes look down the side of the barrel if I can’t look through the breech.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:58 PM

It's not uncommon to see people shoot a box of ammo and never hit the paper.
A big piece of paper sure helps. 2ft x2ft set up at 50yds. Eliminates a lot of the potential frustration.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The last rifle I mounted a scope on took me 8 shots total 3 at 25, 3 at 100m and 2 at 200m to confirm.

LC
X2. My method 9/10 times

I mount the scope. I turn both the elevation and windage all the way in one direction. Then i count the clicks until it stops. I half the clicks back in the opposite direction and I begin.....

So if windage clicks 260 clicks from far right to far left, i click back 130. Do the same with elevation.

Boresighter to 25 yds. Shoot 3. Make adjustments. Shoot 1

Next target is at 100yds. Shoot 3. Make adjustments. shoot 1

Next target is at 200 yds. I zero at 200 and thats my rifle......

Last edited by huntinstuff; 08-06-2020 at 07:14 PM.