Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default I just run in the wrong circles!

For a lark I signed up to the Purdey website a while back and get notifications of what’s for sale.
Got this today https://www.purdey.com/heritage-guns...eid=436fb45504 $190,000.00!!!
Obvious I’m running in the wrong circles 🤣
Old 08-04-2020, 06:23 PM

You don’t run in those circles you are chauffeured around.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:29 PM

Fortunately I run in the correct circles! Or as has been pointed out, am chauffeured around in them! Do they have two of that fine specimen?

In reality: sobbing into my hands, asking myself: “where did it all go so wrong”..... hahaha
Old 08-05-2020, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Fortunately I run in the correct circles! Or as has been pointed out, am chauffeured around in them! Do they have two of that fine specimen?

In reality: sobbing into my hands, asking myself: “where did it all go so wrong”..... hahaha
If you read the fine print it is a matched pair....so you’re good to go 😂
Old 08-05-2020, 05:49 PM

If you have to ask, how much, you can't afford it.

Grizz
Old 08-05-2020, 08:22 PM

Many years ago I went to the gunsmiths guild show in Reno at the same time there’ was a gun show . This was not your typical gun show as there were several firearms in the hundred thousands of dollar range . Was cool to see that kind of quality
Old 08-05-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Many years ago I went to the gunsmiths guild show in Reno at the same time there’ was a gun show . This was not your typical gun show as there were several firearms in the hundred thousands of dollar range . Was cool to see that kind of quality
And the guys that buy it. Most of that stuff goes in a vault and stays there. Check out some of the historical stuff owned by the wealthy in the past, it's just another art form to appreciate.

Grizz
Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 PM

All I know is the gun I saw at the Purdey table in Calgary a few yrs back, would have got shot, that was 1.50 gun, but I would have to shoot it.. There are a few of those guns do get used, but, they also get sent back for refinishing after those hunts, those guys can afford it.. I like what I've seen on the Rigby stuff over the last few yrs a lot.There is some stuff out of Italy that will hold up with anything I've seen from Purdey, H&H and Rigby as well. And then there is Fanzoj and a guy from Poland has done some stuff that will rival the others and Fanzoj as well, forget the name though. Those two think waaaay out of the box.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:28 AM

I’ve been in the Purdy shop a couple of times. The salesman knew I didn’t have any money but he was happy to talk to me about bird hunting. Until that Spaniard with the deep pockets showed up and I was politely dumped.

The salesman was amazed that we could hunt ruffed grouse here and it didn’t cost £350 per brace of birds, because that’s what it is in the UK.

Don’t feel bad about your circles, you might be enjoying more hunting than you realize. The hunts that we go in every year are someone’s hunt of a lifetime.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
For a lark I signed up to the Purdey website a while back and get notifications of what’s for sale.
Got this today https://www.purdey.com/heritage-guns...eid=436fb45504 $190,000.00!!!

You aren't missing anything. I shot a matched set of Purdies on a driven shoot and also shot a matched set of Italian guns used by an Italian Duke Ii took upland hunting many years ago. Both sets were absolutely beautiful guns but the difference between them and a set of matched shotguns that cost about 1/8th the price cannot be detected in the shooting.

Many if not most of the people that hunt in Europe are truly rich, the cost of these guns is not even a minor impediment to them but showing up with a matched set of Browning shotguns or Perazzi would definitely put you outside the uniform of your social group. Just the fact that the one fellows loaner guns were Purdies and that he had absolutely no qualms about letting me use them tells you how differently these guys view expensive guns. Like so many things, it is partly appreciation of the quality and craftsmanship and partly fitting in with the crowd you travel in.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
HEY, free shipping since its over 250#s.... sounds like a deal!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Those are purdy. Real purdey. $190,000.00 is purdier, though.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:57 AM

Yup, we have hunting opps here that we don't appreciate for sure. If I was more inclined and skilled towards writing I am sure I could write an article that would make some of these people who can afford Purdey's and the like, drool over some of the hunts I've had the privelege of doing. And with me using my cheap guns that are 1-3% of the cost of theirs. Then again too, a lot of them wouldn't want to get down and dirty like we do at our camps. Pretty tough to live a better life than we do here, even us Po' folk.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You aren't missing anything. I shot a matched set of Purdies on a driven shoot and also shot a matched set of Italian guns used by an Italian Duke Ii took upland hunting many years ago. Both sets were absolutely beautiful guns but the difference between them and a set of matched shotguns that cost about 1/8th the price cannot be detected in the shooting.

Many if not most of the people that hunt in Europe are truly rich, the cost of these guns is not even a minor impediment to them but showing up with a matched set of Browning shotguns or Perazzi would definitely put you outside the uniform of your social group. Just the fact that the one fellows loaner guns were Purdies and that he had absolutely no qualms about letting me use them tells you how differently these guys view expensive guns. Like so many things, it is partly appreciation of the quality and craftsmanship and partly fitting in with the crowd you travel in.
I completely agree with your first paragraph. I am the proud (yes proud) owner of a Baikal 12g o/v. Built like a tank, including the visible file marks
But I have friend who is a very accomplished trap shooter who has a couple of upper end Citorri trap guns. He's shot my Baikal and even he was surprised how well he could do with it once he got used to it a bit.
Course there is always the Holland and Holland Range Rover for $250000.00
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...coming-to-u-s/ but the shotguns are not included...add another $100000.00.
I knew I shoulda been born a Saudi oil baron