Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Default Handloading Websites

Good day,
I'm working in earnest to resurrect my reloading hobby. I've been following the subject for 30 years, and I finally have ample time to dedicate to this endeavour.
I have most of the equipment I'll need, but need to buy components. Especially powders.
I'm trying to come up with a list of 5-6 powders that will get me started on the 9 cartridges I'll be loading for, from .204 Ruger to .340 Weatherby.
I have a large number of reloading manuals, and am going to get a couple more that discuss the newest propellants and components.
What websites would you guys suggest researching?
I found this : https://www.ballisticstudies.com
It seems to have a lot of basic info regarding powders and bullets.
I'm trying to read as much on the subject as I can, and use the data, advice that is most common. I've gleaned lots of little tips that put together, will be invaluable. Things like using spherical powders on the.204, for better metering and pouring.
Any suggestions are appreciated and will be looked into.
Thanks for your time,
Ken
Old 07-17-2020, 04:37 PM

Hodgdons, Nosler and Alliant all have free online data, if you want loads for the newer powders.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:35 PM

.204 use TAC powder..you will thank me...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:01 PM

Providing a list of cartridges you will be reloading for will help get you better responses.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:16 AM

Default Cartridge list.

I will be loading for the following:
.204 Ruger
.22-250 Remington
.22 CHeetah or .22 Middlestead
.264 Winchester Magnum.
30-30 Winchester
.300 Savage
30-06 Springfield
8mm Mauser
.340 Weatherby Magnum
45-70 Govt.
I appreciate the help. I have started searching "best powders for..." online, and compiling a list, but I wanted to ask here so I can narrow it down to powders readily available in this part of the world.
Thanks again,
Ken
Old 07-18-2020, 10:40 AM

Default Choices

For my loading of 204 with 40 gr ballistic tips my load was 27gr of varget.
And for 22-250 with a 50 gr vmax 35.5gr of Varget was the magic for my HB Savage.
FS
Old 07-18-2020, 10:47 AM

I use https://loaddata.com/

I think it was $30 for a year subscription. Haven't come across a bullet/powder combo that isn't on there.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:13 PM

Wink LoadData site.

Funny timing, I just received a special offer to the LoadData website for $24\year.
I was coming here to ask if it's a good site to use...
Thanks, keep the info coming...
Ken
Old 07-18-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Funny timing, I just received a special offer to the LoadData website for $24\year.
Ken
I got the same email !
Cat
Old 07-18-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Ken
Proper data is available free. The loads on Load Data are NOT pressure tested. I would not pay for an accumulation of other peoples recipes.

It is very easy to narrow down powder choices. For example Varget will work great in some and okay in many of the cartridges you listed. The issue however is, if you are going to go to all the trouble of hand loading, would you not want to have the best powder for each combination. To pick the best powder, choose the slowest burning one that gives you the most velocity and the lowest pressure at max velocity. That is a very good starting point. Also for hunting loads try not to choose one that gives compressed loads but a load density above 96% is desirable.

With respect to websites with good reloading info, pretty much sites like here, Long Range Shooting and 6 BR, Accurate Shooter are good choices to start with.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/

https://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

Last edited by Dean2; 07-18-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Proper data is available free. The loads on Load Data are NOT pressure tested. I would not pay for an accumulation of other peoples recipes.

It is very easy to narrow down powder choices. For example Varget will work great in some and okay in many of the cartridges you listed. The issue however is, if you are going to go to all the trouble of hand loading, would you not want to have the best powder for each combination. To pick the best powder, choose the slowest burning one that gives you the most velocity and the lowest pressure at max velocity. That is a very good starting point. Also for hunting loads try not to choose one that gives compressed loads but a load density above 96% is desirable.
Totally agree Dean!
Cat
Old 07-18-2020, 02:16 PM

Yup, stick to the powder mfgrs and bullet makers sites, some of the stuff people post in other sites make a person wonder, no matter what gets posted, there is always someone with a better, faster load. I think some people are happy running flagrantly over the edges, and maybe some guns will do wonders with loads that would lock up others quite solidly.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:47 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the warning about LoadData. I didn't realize it was just a conglomeration of people's load information.
Yah, I'll steer clear of that.
All this information is greatly appreciated.
I will eventually get to more powders to experiment with for the best loads in each rifle. I just want to get started reloading again, but I can't really afford to spring for a dozen different powders for each cartridge. From the list I've compiled, there are definite crossovers that people on many legit forums are having good luck with, so I'll start with those.
If I'm not satisfied with the performance of what I have, I'll slowly add to the powder collection.
Thanks again for the help.
Ken
Old 07-18-2020, 06:00 PM

Realistically you should be able to load everything with either two or three powders .
Look at the powder websites and see which ones cross over well and you're set!
Hodgon's load data dite is great for that
Cat
Old 07-19-2020, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the warning about LoadData. I didn't realize it was just a conglomeration of people's load information.
Actually it's not a conglomeration of random people's data. A review of their data for the .204 Ruger references loads from the Hodgdon reloading manual, bullet manufacturers, powder manufacturers and also what's been published in Handloader magazine and details the month and year of the article so you can do further reference work on how the articles load data was developed.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Actually it's not a conglomeration of random people's data. A review of their data for the .204 Ruger references loads from the Hodgdon reloading manual, bullet manufacturers, powder manufacturers and also what's been published in Handloader magazine and details the month and year of the article so you can do further reference work on how the articles load data was developed.
You are correct that it amalgamated some data from reputable sources but if you look at the details u will also find data from P.O. Ackley. His data was not pressure tested and is well know to have often been far over pressure. Same is true for data they gathered from a variety of articles as well as the Todd Kindler sourced small caliber loads. In addition to many being over pressure, most of those were not run through pressure testing. Be free to do as you like but since there is well tested data available for free from Hodgdon, Barnes, Nosler, Norma, Alliant, Western Powder, Vint and a bunch more all online I see no advantage to paying for data that is a mix of tested and suspect to highly suspect loads.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-19-2020 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:29 AM

Go spend a hundred bucks or so on reloading manuals...READ them.....THEN if you want to go on to the interweb and cross reference your chosen load fill your boots....

Reloading is not an instant gratification sport....it is a marathon......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
All this information is greatly appreciated.
I will eventually get to more powders to experiment with for the best loads in each rifle. I just want to get started reloading again, but I can't really afford to spring for a dozen different powders for each cartridge. From the list I've compiled, there are definite crossovers that people on many legit forums are having good luck with, so I'll start with those.
If I'm not satisfied with the performance of what I have, I'll slowly add to the powder collection.
Thanks again for the help.
Ken
Load data has people's tested loads, but also has loads from every bullet manufacturers manual as well. I haven't used any of Joe Blow's loads off that site.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:10 AM

The manuals usually will tell you the most accurate powder for a certain bullet. Another book to look at is Ken Waters Pet Loads book.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
The manuals usually will tell you the most accurate powder for a certain bullet. Another book to look at is Ken Waters Pet Loads book.
That is the most accurate powder for a certain bullet in THEIR rifle. What is most accurate in one rifle, may be one of the least accurate, in another rifle. The most accurate powder listed, is about as reliable as the velocities published in a loading manual.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is the most accurate powder for a certain bullet in THEIR rifle. What is most accurate in one rifle, may be one of the least accurate, in another rifle. The most accurate powder listed, is about as reliable as the velocities published in a loading manual.
Yes, but he has to start from somewhere does he? Also there are bullet/powder combos which work well for a brad range of rifles such as 4530 powder behind a 165gn bullet in a 30-06, or 4831sc behind a 130gn in 270win....
Old 07-25-2020, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
Another book to look at is Ken Waters Pet Loads book.
It was a good book back in its day but it does have a lot of the current powders available today
Old 07-27-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would agree, load data that you can find in the internet for free for any caliber is a good starting point. I would suggest starting in the middle of minimum and maximum load and the creep both ways with your powder load until you find what’s good for you in your gun. I have found that powdered charge is more important than any particular powder, just use a powder That is listed for your caliber that you can get easily.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:16 AM

Thanks for all the information and insight.
I compiled a list of powders for each caliber. A lot of them are from various forums, guys asking what the best powders are for each caliber. I wrote down the ones I saw multiple times.
There are quite a few powders that look to work well for multiple cartridges.
Now it's time to dig out all the reloading manuals I've collected and check them out for the powders on my list.
I'm thinking I'll end up going with 4-6 different powders, and if I can't get satisfactory results for a certain rifle, I'll look into others.
Now to do this all over for bullets, and then brass.
I'm enjoying this part, and all the information I'm learning. Can't wait to actually apply it once the summer and fall business passes.
I appreciated the input.
Ken