Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 07:53 AM

Default New gun-control policies coming soon

Here it comes

A re-elected Liberal government will ban some types of "assault-style" rifles, as well as introduce additional restrictions on where firearms can be possessed or stored, according to Bill Blair, who has been the party's pointman on gun control.

The planned measures will be announced "very, very shortly" as part of the Liberals' campaign platform, Blair said in an interview with The Fifth Estate.

"I have recommended that there are certain weapons that are currently not prohibited that should be prohibited, which means no one should be allowed to have those weapons in our society," he said.

"I will tell you that I am confident that a Liberal government will enact effective regulation and legislation … to remove weapons that are, in my opinion, just too dangerous in a civil society."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gun...-ban-1.5290679
Old 09-20-2019, 08:01 AM

I was expecting a total ban on handguns
Old 09-20-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I was expecting a total ban on handguns
I think they'll be going for central storage till they get banned later
Old 09-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned

The manufacturers will do it for them https://ca.news.yahoo.com/colt-stop-...opstories.html
Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Not that I'm oblivious to the obvious threat, but one fact I'm hopeful for is Liberals are horrible with breaking their election promises.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Default Handgun ban

Just back from doing fall pre work on Trapline. Grizz and black bear poop everywhere. Now Libs considering taking away my handgun for protection, what next!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 AM

My guess is if it’s a semi auto with a detachable mag and pistol grip it will be prohibited.

And allow municipality’s to ban handguns will do nothing since the gang bangers wont give 2 sh!ts
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Ahhh the brown faced groper could care less, all he cares about are votes and a seat in the UN....Canada and especially western Canada mean nothing to him or his party.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM

Liberal ‘logic’: People were buying marijuana anyways so we legalized it, now we can control it

The bulk of illegal firearm use is from those not licensed to own them in the first place. Think this is going to stop them?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Was this planned all along? The timing makes me wonder if it isn't a great distraction from blackface?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Just so everyone is clear, if a thread deals with gov't/political decisions that are directly related to the outdoors and outdoor pursuits, it is allowed. If it becomes just a bashing thread then it too is closed. If it is straight politics and no outdoor angle like this thread, then it is a good bet the op, and those who chime in will be on the sidelines. I can safely speak for all the mods, we are tired of wasting our time on this stuff.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:35 AM

I notice that they are also promising amendment to the storage regs?

From CBC site:

The Liberal gun control platform also promises to:

• Prevent people suspected of posing a danger to themselves or others, including their partners or children, from possessing or acquiring new firearms.
  • Require that everyone importing ammunition show proof of a valid firearms licence.
  • Strengthen safe-storage laws to make it harder for legal weapons to fall into the hands of criminals.
  • Not bring back the long-gun registry.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just so everyone is clear, if a thread deals with gov't/political decisions that are directly related to the outdoors and outdoor pursuits, it is allowed. If it becomes just a bashing thread then it too is closed. If it is straight politics and no outdoor angle like this thread, then it is a good bet the op, and those who chime in will be on the sidelines. I can safely speak for all the mods, we are tired of wasting our time on this stuff.
Isn't a potential ban of rifles or handguns related to outdoor pursuits? Many people hunt with semi autos and many trappers carry handguns for bear protection. I agree with the no bashing but people need to be aware.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Ontario and Quebec will once again decide our government. I hope gun owners there make a better choice.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Banned

I just hope those who stuck it to Harper last time are happy with themselves. Yeah, you sure showed him and everyone else who's boss. A few of those special ones left over are voting PPC this time, gonna show us who's boss again! Let's vote for the guy who's polling at 2%, lose, lose guns, blame harper and the cpc.