Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Buying a Quad in the US

Just need to know if anyone here has bought a quad for the guys down south.
look at the pricing and the dollar situation it looks pretty good.
2008 Honda Foreman trx500 $6299.00 usd
Same machine $8500.00 cad
The fees and gst do not look that bad, but do you have to pay duty and how were the guys at the border..
g
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 PM

I bought the same machine last Oct (2006)from the US,I got them to install different tires,Moose handle bar warmers,thumb warmer and Warn 2500lb winch,they phoned me when the work was done,72hrs later I was able to pick it up,they sent all paper work to the border crossing as well as I had hard copies,payed my gst on Cnd value,$209 transportation Cnd fee and was out of there in 1/2 hr,they didn't even come out and inspect it.
All said save close to $2,000 so now with the buck at par savings would even be greater!
PM me if you want more info....
Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 AM

(now in your best squeaky geeky voice)

According to the news you're going to have to make sure the child seat anchors & DRL's are all good to go in Canada; after all US vehicles aren't as safe as Canadian ones....

(end squeaky geeky voice)

Where have we heard THAT BS before We're getting hosed up here big time.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Doc Holiday

Can you buy a New machine from the US... or does it have t be used, buddy just bought an SUV... saved like 15k... no hassle crossin the border if paperwork is in order... so ya.. anyone purchace ATV 's jump into the thread....
Old 09-29-2007, 09:17 AM

www.riv.ca
Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Mine was new........
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 PM

From what I have heard, the dealer near the border are under orders from their suppliers not to sell to Canadians. My buddy is going almost to Wyoming for an 800 Summit. The dealers further north wouldn't sell to him.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Default will they still cover the warranty

I have heard if you buy an atv or truck that they will not cover the warranty. Does anybody know if this is true?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:23 PM

The warranty issue is very much true.....most dealers wont cover the warranty....SOME will...but make sure its in writing...

Yes, the dealers have been getting tighter on selling to Canadians....seems the distributors have been telling dealers not to sell to Canadians....but you can still find plenty of dealers out there willing to sell them....

Good deals out there with our dollar how it is....
Old 09-29-2007, 03:22 PM

Angry Honda Quad

I was in the state of Montana in August and spoke with a sales rep at a Honda dealership, no problems selling to indivuals. They DO NOT want to sell to persons who buy several to resell in Canada. They would have sold me everything from a new Honda M/C as well as quads.
I believe these so called Dealer agreements that preclude Dealers from south of the border selling to Canadians are a discriminatory practice. Under NAFTA there is speculation that this practice could result in civil litigation being brought forward. Whether it is sucessful or not is anybodys guess . Bombardier a well known Canadian entity is one of the worst for this practice . Every dealer I spoke to in the USA stated they were unable to sell to Canadians , yet our Federal Goverment has subsidized them for years.
I purchased two honda power products , Honda 2000 Generator and a Honda Lawn Mower and saved 1000.00 on those two products alone . Hey I try and support my local honda dealership , great guys and good service ,but I can't leave that kinda money on the table. We should all being asking our Political bureaucrats WHY ? .
Old 09-29-2007, 05:11 PM

I agree if it is cheaper south of border then by all means spend your money down there. If the local stores want our business they better figure out how they are going to compete with the US prices.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:30 PM

what i do not understand is if the dollar is trading at par, why should we pay more here in Canada? The difference between here and there is anywhere $1500.00 to $2000.00 after paying your taxes and fees
g
Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Doc Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I agree if it is cheaper south of border then by all means spend your money down there. If the local stores want our business they better figure out how they are going to compete with the US prices.
Yes... but they dont give 2 sh#ts, was pricing around yesteday, one dealer actually told me, if ya dont buy from him, dont even bring anything for warranty. WTF?? There are no deals, hell... ya cant deal with most of them, basically heres yer price, take it er leave it. That might change down the road.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:32 AM

gramps73.....I got a 2006 trx500es for myself in January, saved about 1800 bucks, no problem at all at the border... me and a few buddies have brought a bunch back over the last year or so with no problem at all except with a Kawasaki that my son brought back in April, it seems that the serial number on a Kawasaki is different then the rest and it shows it was made in Japan so he had to pay 500 or so bucks for duty, he had to get a letter from the dealer and from Kawasaki stating that the quad was assembled in the USA. he is still waiting to get his money back from customs, seems they are quick to take your cash, but not so quick to give it back . we got ours from Larry at Sport City in Great falls Montana. phone him and give them a 300 dollar deposit on a credit card and he will have all the paper work done for you when you pick up your quad in 3 or 4 days {working day}... pick up your quad, pay what is still owing with a US money order, stop at the US side of custom and pick up the paper work Larry sent them, go through the Canadian custom and pay the GST, you can either pay the 200 dollar federal inspection fee there or you can do it online when you get home [we find it is faster to do it online]. takes about 2 weeks or so to get your stuff back in the mail, take it and the papers the Canadian custom gave you and go to Canadian tire for the inspection [takes about to minutes] then you can take it to a registry office and get it registered, then head to the mountains and have a blast.... As for the warranty, Honda US warranty is no good in Canada, if you know someone that live in the states you can use there address and if you need warranty work you will have to take it back state side to get it done… but like I say, it’s a Honda, what could go wrong…lol…good luck, and hope this helps you out

Jim
Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 AM

Well considering you will pay the same price for a new quad out of the states with no warranty up here as you do for a well used one here, with no warranty...I would take the new.

Gramps if you talking about Honda, they are all like that as far as here is the price take it or leave it...even car dealerships.