Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2007, 08:56 PM

Was out to watch the chucks on Friday night. It's surprising that someone isn't killed every night that Kelly Sutherland is racing. He will more than likely be the reason chuck wagon racing eventually gets enough publicity to end. I don't think any of the other racers consider the lives of their fellow competitors to be worth winning the race. I doubt they'd even consider winning over the lives of their fellow racers horses.

Not sure what to say on calf roping. Certainly takes some skill to do what they do. Hopefully things can continue as they are but who knows.

Anyone remember why we don't have F1 racing in Montreal anymore? Amazing what public pressure can do.

Last edited by Don Meredith; 07-17-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: personal attack
Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Yup.......... they're out there protesting cruelty to animals, meanwhile their poodles dying of heat locked in the car back at the parking lot.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I say "LET 'ER BUCK!!!!!!!!"

I think Nascar is cruel . Having to watch it I mean. "Stand on it and turn left"

Wahoo!! wake me when it's over.

If you want danger and adrenaline rush and cruelty to dumb beasts, try marriage. It's got it all.
And they say marriage is a word... its not its a sentence
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 PM

Default chucks

well i have to say i'm a fair fan of the chucks, i spend alot of time in the barns and hang out with one driver in particular. my family and i do the ponoka-edmonton-drumheller and reddeer shows, i love the sport-mabye because i know someone running, but all that aside the horses are treated like babies, i mean washed every night-massages every night its almost sickning my ol lady dont even get that kind of attention!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

Thought you all would enjoy this...
I count about 2.5 sec worth of hang time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=usYISdW7YGs
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 PM

They say Kelly would always ride tight and would never back down. Props to the guy that jumped into the wagon and prevented more accidents
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM

Most of what I wanted to say on this has already been said, but...

I have spent a fair bit of time around the chucks years ago when my Dad sponsered wagons in the WPCA and CPCA. These horses are treated like gold and are closer to members of the family than beasts of burden. Most get to live thier lives doing what they were bred and love to do and that is run. Someone already said it but a lot of these horses would have gone from the race track to the dog food factory if not for the wagons. I dont think it is too dangerous and in no way is rodeo or chuckwagon racing cruel to the animals.

Also the people in wagon racing are some of the best people you will meet. Hard working, down to earth and give you the shirt off of thier backs. And always there to help out a fellow driver if in need, yes these guys compete against each other every night but mostly it is like one big family.

My family grew up in GP and knows Kelly (aka the king). If you ask me he is an arrogant a-hole who thinks he is bigger than the sport that has gotten him where he is. Yes, he is one heck of a wagon driver and horseman but that does not give him the right to put his fellow wagon drivers and thier horses at risk. Kelly was on TV saying how he was going to "squeeze" the other guys he was racing against, a tactic of aggressive driving to get the other dirver(s) to give up the rail and put you in a better position. Kelly was desparate to get the rail and give himself the advantage and try to gain the precious seconds he needed to make it into the top four wagons of the week. Kelly would love one more rangeland derby title, making him an 11 time winner, more than anyone. His disregaurd for his fellow drivers cost one man, Tyler Helming, the rest of his wagon season, possibly his wagon carrer. And cost Gary Gorst 3 great horse, that if he tried to replace would cost him close to $100,000. I hope Kelly has more coming to him than a 1 day suspension, hope it is tough for him to look in the mirror for a long time.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 AM
smokinjoe

I rode bulls for 14 years and this thread has brought to light something I should have said years ago.

To all the bulls I have hurt, mistreated, upset, or in any way not treated as an equal, I apologize.
Even to Orange Crush, who displayed my innards to the crowd, I hope you did not twist your ankle on my stomach.
To Tsunami, I think I may have accidentally slapped your nose as you rammed your horn into my head. I am sorry.
Also to Wildfire; By hanging off the side of you ringing my head on every steel post you ran by, I may have inadvertantly kept you off balance and possibly stumbled. Please forgive me.

Cruelty to WHO ?????

Every event in rodeo (except bullriding) played a very important part in everyday work on a ranch. From doctoring cattle to breaking horses. Most of these styles are still implemented in some ranches today.
What gives people the right to tell us to stop doing it?
And people don't rodeo for money, they do it because they love it.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
I rode bulls for 14 years and this thread has brought to light something I should have said years ago.

To all the bulls I have hurt, mistreated, upset, or in any way not treated as an equal, I apologize.
Even to Orange Crush, who displayed my innards to the crowd, I hope you did not twist your ankle on my stomach.
To Tsunami, I think I may have accidentally slapped your nose as you rammed your horn into my head. I am sorry.
Also to Wildfire; By hanging off the side of you ringing my head on every steel post you ran by, I may have inadvertantly kept you off balance and possibly stumbled. Please forgive me.

Cruelty to WHO ?????

Every event in rodeo (except bullriding) played a very important part in everyday work on a ranch. From doctoring cattle to breaking horses. Most of these styles are still implemented in some ranches today.
These asshaat -"save the unborn gay whale " typoes really get me sometimes.

Next they'll be after retriever trials because the dogs are abused - oh sorry they already are!
How about dog sled racing?
You ever see what heappens to a ssled dog when you show him a harness?
Same thing that happens to a gun dog - they go nuts , turn inside out , and
jump right into the truck or the harness.
Nothing they like better than do work with their partners.
Rodeos are just an extension of real life, esxcept for maybe the bull riding and wild cow milking!
smokinjoe, I hope that your apology helps to rehabilitate those poor defenseless animals you hurt by climbing on their backs.
Oh, and BTW, THANKS FOR THE SHOW!

Without guys like you there would be nothing worth watching as a spectator sport, except for the dog competitions, equestrian dressage just don't cut it for me!
Cat
Old 07-17-2007, 06:52 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
50 I wonder if we have met? I grew up hanging out a bit with the Mellville boys.
My dad was the main guy when Keith Construction sponsered Orville back in the late 70's. That was my introduction to this great sport.

Jamie
We may have Jamie. I am terrible with names but the pics I see of you look awfully familiar. Mellville rings a bell but for the life of me I can't put a picture to the name . I do remember that canvas on one of his chucks...very cool!!

We never got to go watch him much do to my dad playing ball all summer. We always tried to make it to Calgary to watch him cause we could get passes that would allow you to access where the rodeo people would camp.Great memories.

Poor uncle orville isn't doing too well these days. Seems like alhimers has caught up to him .
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 AM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

Cruelty to WHO ?????

..great post
Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"I like long hair on women.)

"

Me too, but not on their legs or armpits.
Now that's cruel!!!

Otokian, how about boxing? do you feel bad about some guy getting his face pummelled to pudding?
LOL I'm not sure about their brains, but at least they all consent to doing it. When you get signed consent forms from the rodeo and circus animals, I'll be totally cool with that.

I'm not real hung up about it. I was at the rodeo just last Wednesday for goodness sake. I just think that it is an issue worthy of reasoned discussion. Regular animal deaths for entertainment is a concern. Its why at the extreme end of the spectrum we ban dog and cock fighting. This is nowhere as extreme for sure, but something to look into.

Wait a minute... "Regular animal deaths for entertainment is a concern...." Hmmmmmm and I was contemplating going to pop some gophers soon? Hang on, my hypocracy alarm is going off..... OK, this is more complicated than I thought.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Gone Hunting

"Wait a minute... "Regular animal deaths for entertainment is a concern...." Hmmmmmm and I was contemplating going to pop some gophers soon? Hang on, my hypocracy alarm is going off..... OK, this is more complicated than I thought. "

Isn't it always moe complicated???
Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 PM
50BMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMG View Post
We may have Jamie. I am terrible with names but the pics I see of you look awfully familiar. Mellville rings a bell but for the life of me I can't put a picture to the name . I do remember that canvas on one of his chucks...very cool!!

We never got to go watch him much do to my dad playing ball all summer. We always tried to make it to Calgary to watch him cause we could get passes that would allow you to access where the rodeo people would camp.Great memories.

Poor uncle orville isn't doing too well these days. Seems like alhimers has caught up to him .
After talking with the old man...I do know of the Mellville boys
Old 07-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Although this is getting a little off topic....I gotta back up what Smokin Joe said. I'm Bull ridin Alumni myself, and I can tell you that Joey is 100% correct in his anology. Rodeo cowboys don't do what we do because it pays well (99% of the time) or because it's a stable vocation. Rough stock cowboys get their asses kicked day in day out, get paid peanuts (most of the time), and suffer WAAAAAAAY more than any stock we will ever touch. The stock ARE treated like gold, I can attest to this through my 5 years of working for a stock contractor. The horses and bulls get their asses kissed in the pen, get the best of the best to eat, and great living accomodations.

If there's any sympathy to be felt here, direct it to your local rodeo cowboy. He's out there breakin his neck (and other bones) going home too sore to get a lil from the wife, scratchin to fill his tank with enough gas to get to the next perf. and livin a tough-ass life to put on a good show fer the folks who make 100 grand a year and come to watch the festivities.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM

I've owned, trained and hunted over labs for over 30 years and I've always believed that it is an act of cruelty to own a hunting dog and NOT ALLOW IT TO HUNT. While I have no first hand experience in rodeo, I do own and use a few horses and I enjoy the sport of rodeo as a spectator. I'm pretty sure you can say much the same thing about bucking stock as I said above about dogs. Chuck wagon horses are "retirees" from the thoroughbred tracks who, if it weren't for chuckwagon races, would have probably wound up in a meat store in France. Regarding the calves and steers in the timed events, I think they're a lot tougher than our "friends" at PETA would have us believe.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 PM

thanks for the post smoking joe! weeks from now when things are not going too well I'll be able to think of that post and get at least a smile.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM

OMG that poor dog that got ran over on the Tour de France by that biker!!!!
Shut down the tour! Call another treehugger activist... get a rally goin. lol

BTW, did ne1 see that Borat guy running along the bikers?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Here is what i think

I know the first corner judge at Calgary Stampede and he said it was not Kelly's fault. It was all Ray Mitsuiang's fault. Most horse's come off the race track because they did not perform well, so when they are on the wagons they are living pretty good and their owners treat them good. So who is to blame?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM

Rosalindite7 - This was just released this week.

Calgary Stampede to review chuckwagon safety
Last Updated: Monday, September 24, 2007 | 4:22 PM MT

CBC News

Six people will head a safety review into a chuckwagon accident this summer that injured a driver and killed three horses at the Calgary Stampede.

The Calgary Stampede is famous for the annual Rangeland Derby chuckwagon championship but organizers say the top priority is to make sure everyone involved in it stays safe.

"Certainly they'll be looking at every factor related to the incident that they feel contributed to the incident and evaluate how that can be accounted for from a safety perspective," stampede spokeswoman Lindsey Galloway said Monday.

"If there's an opportunity to make changes to our rules, to our approach to the sport; anything and everything is on the table in terms of making the sport as safe as it can be."

Driver Tyler Helmig was thrown from his rig in July when it ran into the downed lead team of horses that had crashed in the first turn. Helmig needed surgery on a hip and elbow.

The committee, which includes a veterinarian and a retired world champion chuckwagon driver, will begin its work next month. The stampede says its findings will be made public by the end of the year.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner