Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-07-2017, 04:54 PM

Default Shipping a rifle

I have never shipped a firearm and now have to send a rifle to Vancouver Island. Any advice here?

thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Canada post - regular post
Insurance
Signature required.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:03 PM

If anyone asks.... "Sporting goods"
Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Old 03-07-2017, 05:44 PM

Put it in a good solid box and pad the muzzle so it isn't tempted to poke out through the box. I like to wrap the box in shrink wrap afterwards. This makes it so much more secure. And send it with a signature required... this is a must.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM

Thanks, I still have the box it came in but no packing so will have to come up with something to cushion it in the box.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Thanks, I still have the box it came in but no packing so will have to come up with something to cushion it in the box.
One more thing.........If the box is marked in any way advertising that a firearm is in the box make sure you wrap the box in craft paper.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
One more thing.........If the box is marked in any way advertising that a firearm is in the box make sure you wrap the box in craft paper.
Got ya, thanks
Old 03-08-2017, 09:09 AM

I have shipped several over time.

Good box, bubble wrap inside works great, brown paper wrap always on the outside. Canada Post, never purchased extra insurance. Tracking number, never had a problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Default over pack

They broke the stock on a lever action on me last year and it was 2 months of a battle to get the insurance claim. I had shipped many without damage before but if you do make a claim both you and the purchaser have to fill in a questionaire from Canada Post and if your packing "box" isn't a shipping box with the necessary burst strength per square inch you are sol. One of the questions that threw me "was the package packed securely enough to withstand a 3 foot drop from a conveyor belt to a concrete floor???"
If the answer is no I suspect I wouldnt have been paid on the insurance. Be careful on the insurance purchase for you must prove the exact amount of damage. I had $600 insurance but the cost of the new stock was under $200 so I got my postage and the cost of the replacement stock or $210.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:35 AM

In addition to all the good advice previously, I would also add a few "fragile" stickers to the box, and if asked, it's "technical equipment". With my job I sometimes have to ship technical or scientific equipment and Canada Post is a bit extra diligent with it to avoid damage.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:08 PM

Default shipping

Very helpful thread. Any ballpark costs on shipping across a few provinces, by general mail
Old 03-09-2017, 04:05 PM

I paid $45 to ship a rifle from Vancouver Island to North-central Alberta recently, if that helps.

Like you, the fellow had the box but none of the interior packaging. What he did was remove the bolt (bolt-action) & wrap it separately. Then, he secured some cardboard around the barrel with Tuck Tape and wrapped the rifle securely in bubble wrap. This all went into the box, which he sealed securely with Tuck Tape. There was no information on the box exterior suggestive of its contents, but I agree with other posters that an outer layer of Kraft paper would be advisable if it did.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM

Well mine is on its way. I had the original box but not the packing material so I put it in a soft gun case with an additional old sheet to fill the voids. I shipped via Canada Post and insured for $700.00. Cost me $70.00 and according to tracking it should be in BC tomorrow so a total of 3 days, if it does get there tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 PM

Some people are master packers with great fitting boxes and styrofoam... some packages could be better packaged in a garbage bag lol. I also appreciate when someone goes hat extra length to keep your new purchases safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk