Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Default 308 ammo for moose

I have 2 questions..:

I just bought a couple boxes of 308 SAKO 150gr super hammerhead and my question is: why sako don't recommend this bullet for moose and it has Energy of 2020 ft-lbs at 300 yards and we all know that to kill a moose you need a minimum of 1500 ft-lbs of energy....this bullets should be good enough..???? tks

2nd:
What would be the best bullet for you??? 308 trophy bonded tip (vital shock) 180gr or nosler partition (vital shock) 180 gr or Sako super harmmerhead 180 gr....)the trophy tip is the only one that reach his B.C of .500)???
Old 02-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Have you shot these at anything other than paper?
Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 AM

Sako hammerhead is a bonded bullet , I think it would be perfect for moose.
If your buying factory ammo for your 308 . I would look at the 150 gr mono metals like Vortex 150 ttsx, or Hornady GMX.
If sticking with a bonded bullet or partition I would look at 165 gr weights.
The 180 gr in my opinion is just not pushed fast enough out of the 308 win to give it any advantage over the other 2 weights.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Banned

I have killed many elk,moose and bear with generic factory .308 win ammo made by CIL , Winchester, Remington , Federal , Privi, and a few others,

All it takes to kill a moose or elk effectively , is a 150 or 180 gr soft point in the kill zone,

Bang flop......

As for Sako brand .308 ammo, I highly suspect it is repurposed Norma or RWS or Sellier&Bellot etc, in a Sako package,,

Producing a serviceable .308 Win commercial hunting round is not rocket science ,,

But you can pay NASA Space Program price for box of .308 bullets if you want to
Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Google bullet sectional density and terminal ballistics if you are into researching stuff. Short story is that old style lead soft point bullets fragment more and penetrate less as velocity increases, so people pick rather slow heavy bullets to punch deep into vitals. Bonded bullets fragment less and so you can go with a lighter faster bullet and still penetrate like a heavier normal soft point. Monometal bullets hold together even better and so you can go even lighter and faster than bonded while still penetrating through to the vitals.

I prefer bonded 165 grain bullets for 308, but everyone has their own goals and may choose differently.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I have killed many elk,moose and bear with generic factory .308 win ammo made by CIL , Winchester, Remington , Federal , Privi, and a few others,

All it takes to kill a moose or elk effectively , is a 150 or 180 gr soft point in the kill zone,

Bang flop......

As for Sako brand .308 ammo, I highly suspect it is repurposed Norma or RWS or Sellier&Bellot etc, in a Sako package,,

Producing a serviceable .308 Win commercial hunting round is not rocket science ,,

Sako ammo is actually using Sierra and Nosler bullets,possibly others?
The 150 Super Hammerhead in the OP is nothing more then a bonded jacket SPBT.
Great deer bullet,but I suspect it's not recommended on Sako's moose list because they sell much better penetrating moose loads that aren't gonna explode on a shoulder hit.Of course it will kill a moose,but it's far from being an ideal moose bullet,not even close to making top ten list imho.

Last edited by West O'5; 02-21-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:10 PM

Default ...

thanks guys, i will probably keep my 308 SAKO 150gr super hammerhead for deer (i nerver try sako before not even on paper) and i will get a few rounds of TB tip 180 for my moose shot....
Old 02-21-2017, 12:13 PM

My son shot his deer this year with the exact ammk youre talking about. It couldn't of worked any better. I'm sure it woukd be fine on moose
Old 02-21-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Sako ammo is actually using Sierra and Nosler bullets,possibly others?
The 150 Super Hammerhead in the OP is nothing more then a bonded jacket SPBT.
Great deer bullet,but I suspect it's not recommended on Sako's moose list because they sell much better penetrating moose loads that aren't gonna explode on a shoulder hit.Of course it will kill a moose,but it's far from being an ideal moose bullet,not even close to making top ten list imho.
Where did you get this information from?
According to their website the Super Hammerhead is a bullet if their own design
It doesn't even look like a Game King judging from the amount of lead tip on it
Cat
Old 02-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
From Sako website that I've visited many times last couple months drooling over new 85 Greywolf that I'm buying soon.
Click on first link,scroll to bottom,they are re-branded Sierra/Nosler/Barnes bullets.

http://www.sako.fi/cartridges

http://www.sako.fi/cartridges/sako-c...per-hammerhead

http://www.sako.fi/sites/default/fil...s_2016_web.pdf

Last edited by West O'5; 02-22-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Sako hammerhead is a bonded bullet , I think it would be perfect for moose.
If your buying factory ammo for your 308 . I would look at the 150 gr mono metals like Vortex 150 ttsx, or Hornady GMX.
If sticking with a bonded bullet or partition I would look at 165 gr weights.
The 180 gr in my opinion is just not pushed fast enough out of the 308 win to give it any advantage over the other 2 weights.
There are plenty of bonded 150 grain bullets that I don't think are ideal for moose. Bonded is a good thing, for sure, but not all bonded bullets are tough enough that I would go down to a 150 grain bullet.

I've gotten good performance using 180 grain corelocts, a 180 grain coreloct will go through a moose shoulder if needed, and still take out the lungs, usually the offside shoulder as well. I have a completely demolished 150 grain Corelock that I dug out of a deer that was shot on a steep angle. The bullet broke 3 ribs going in and 2 ribs on the offside, coming to rest under the far shoulder blade. That's a fair bit of bone, but given the poor shape of the bullet I don't think it would have made it through the thick part of a moose shoulder blade.... IMO its not necessarily about speed or energy when hunting moose, its about the bullet holding together and a 180 grain bullet will help with that if all else is equal. At the range most of my moose are shot I think more bullet speed does more harm than good, promoting erratic bullet performance and little else besides.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
From Sako website that I've visited many times last couple months drooling over new 85 Greywolf that I'm buying soon.
Click on first link,scroll to bottom,they are re-branded Sierra/Nosler/Barnes bullets.

It says nothing about being re branded what it does say is they were developed by Sako.
Any factory ammo I have ever seen that uses Barnes or Sierra bullets name identify those bullets on the boxes.
BTW I just phoned Sierra Themselves and they said " NO WAY"!
The only way they would use Sierra bullets is if they identified than as such.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-22-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
It says nothing about being re branded what it does say is they were developed by Sako.
Any factory ammo I have ever seen that uses Barnes or Sierra bullets name identify those bullets on the boxes.
BTW I just phoned Sierra Themselves and they said " NO WAY"!
The only way they would use Sierra bullets is if they identified than as such.

Cat
Maybe you need to look again at the links provided and check your sources at Sierra as well.
The Sako Racehead is a Sierra MatchKing.
The Sako Arrowhead is a Nosler BallisticTip
Sako Twinhead is Swift A-frame
Sako Powerhead and Powerhead 2 are Barnes TSX and TTSX respectively.
I'm sure somebody with more reloading experience could easily identify the rest of the bullets in Sako lineup,as could I if I cared enough to do the comparisons,but I have neither the time nor inclination to do so.They are nothing special,just run of the mill lead core/bonded jacket bullets,and not even very advanced bonding technologies for that matter compared to other options.

Last edited by West O'5; 02-22-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe you need to look again at the links provided and check your sources at Sierra as well.
The Sako Racehead is a Sierra MatchKing.
The Sako Arrowhead is a Nosler BallisticTip
Sako Twinhead is Swift A-frame
Sako Powerhead and Powerhead 2 are Barnes TSX and TTSX respectively.
I'm sure somebody with more reloading experience could easily identify the rest of the bullets in Sako lineup,as could I if I cared enough to do the comparisons,but I have neither the time nor inclination to do so.They are nothing special,just run of the mill lead core/bonded jacket bullets,and not even very advanced bonding technologies for that matter compared to other options.
It sets tight in the first link that Sako makes their own bullets .

What you have described are a standard style hollow point boat tailed cup and core design, a cup and core polymer tip design an H mantle design and mononetal design.
There are many companies building these types of bullets .

No ,the Seirra tech was quite adamant - anybody using their bullets has to identify them as such
Call Seirra yourself instead of guessing because you think they LOOK like bullets made by a different company .
While you are at it you may as well phone Barnes as well
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-22-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 AM

I just bought some Federal premiun 180 gr. nosler partion and Hornady interlock spire point 180 gr also.................
All 165 gr like hornady interbond and barnes ttsx 168 gr. and vital shock TB tip 165gr are hard to find here in Quebec at this time of the year
Old 03-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Take your gun to the range and find out what type of ammo it likes. This might take some investment in a few different brands, but you likely will be surprised at how well your rifle likes run of the mill ammo like remington core-lokts or Winchester Super X.

There is a reason why more moose have been killed with Remington core-lokts or "super x". These are ammunition that is cheap enough for people to actually practise with....(less that $30. a box).

This ammo is of a quality that ballistically performs very well out to distances of about 300 yds, a performs it's kill duty in terms of penetration, a maintaining bullet weight.

I believe it is best to practise with the ammunition you plan to hunt with.....but once again try to find the ammo that your gun likes as a first step.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Default 1500 ftlbs

who told you that you need 1500 ft lbs of energy to kill a moose. could someone please apoligize to the last moose I killed at 120 yrds with the old 35 remmy . I guess he didn't know I was under gunned .
Old 03-10-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
who told you that you need 1500 ft lbs of energy to kill a moose. could someone please apoligize to the last moose I killed at 120 yrds with the old 35 remmy . I guess he didn't know I was under gunned .
It appears I owe a few moose a heart felt apology as well.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
It sets tight in the first link that Sako makes their own bullets .

What you have described are a standard style hollow point boat tailed cup and core design, a cup and core polymer tip design an H mantle design and mononetal design.
There are many companies building these types of bullets .

No ,the Seirra tech was quite adamant - anybody using their bullets has to identify them as such
Call Seirra yourself instead of guessing because you think they LOOK like bullets made by a different company .
While you are at it you may as well phone Barnes as well
Cat
I don't know why you insist on arguing when it clearly says in black and white(literally) on Sako website that they are rebranded bullets from Sierra,Barnes,Nosler and Swift exactly as I described in previous post as well as providing link to see for yourself.
Click on the first of the three links I posted,scroll down the pages to "downloads" and open the Sako_cartridges_2017.pdf
I'm not "guessing" at anything and no need to call Barnes,your source at Sierra is dead wrong.

Last edited by West O'5; 03-12-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:44 AM

Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I clicked on the link and scrolled to the bottom, this is what I found;

Quote:
Heavy jacketed, strong and non-fragmenting, ensuring controlled expansion. Bonded core construction produces high weight retention, producing good penetration. Boat-tailed for high-ballistic efficiency means flatter trajectory. First developed and tested in Sako ballistic laboratories, followed by actual extensive big game hunting tests.
I found no suggestion that bullet came from anywhere else.

Where do I find that information?

I did find the other information you mentioned, namely that the Powerhead bullet is made by Barnes and the Arrowhead bullet is made by Nosler.

Why wouldn't they clearly state who made the hammerhead bullet if someone else made it?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-14-2017, 04:37 PM

The 308 case loaded with 165 gr Nosler Accubond or Nosler Partition will do in said moose very nicely !!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:19 AM

Interesting discussion, I wonder where lies the truth?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Seen a 308 win with 180 federal fusions lay the smack down on a couple bull moose one at 300 yards one at 200.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

Bang flop......

Been shooting my Savage 308 since dad gave it to me at 16. 49 now. Like elkdump, many moose and deer have been harvested as the result of my over the counter brand 180 gr bullets. I haven't recovered a bullet from a deer or moose in a long time, most go right through but I am always trying for lungs. So im a fan of the heavier bullet. But i am no expert on ballistics etc. Just know what has worked for me.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:56 PM

Norma may still, but used to make a 200gr load that hit around 2700fps
Old 03-15-2017, 07:30 PM

I think moose get too much credit for being tough or hard to knock down.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Cat

From Sako Website:

"All hunting loads and bullets are developed at the Sako ballistics laboratory. They are tested during real big game hunts for optimal weight retention and double-diameter mushrooming for maximum impact."

It wouldn't make sense for Sako to import mega tons of lead from various sources the US. They are expensive enough already.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
From Sako Website:

"All hunting loads and bullets are developed at the Sako ballistics laboratory. They are tested during real big game hunts for optimal weight retention and double-diameter mushrooming for maximum impact."

It wouldn't make sense for Sako to import mega tons of lead from various sources the US. They are expensive enough already.
See posts 19 and 20
Old 03-16-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
See posts 19 and 20

Interesting ! It sure appears they are re-branding. Thanks.