Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2016, 12:13 PM

Default Suffield Elk article ACA

Interesting and informative article in the Conservation magazine put put by the ACA. Well worth reading.

https://issuu.com/albertaconservatio...14276/30000297

Grizz
Old 10-14-2016, 12:40 PM

Good article thanks for the post
Old 10-14-2016, 12:46 PM

She did a good job on the article. And the author is an AO member.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:46 PM

If I am not mistaken, AO member Arachnodisiac wrote that up

LC
Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs up

Where is like button.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 10-15-2016, 02:33 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for sharing, and for the feedback. It was thanks to the help of a lot of members from AO that were able to allow me to interview them, too, so thanks to everyone for that too.

It's a really long and complicated story, and it's like every other issue – there's usually no single smoking gun, but a compilation of many factors that contributed to the ultimate problem. Journalism isn't so much sexy as it is painstaking.

Thanks again!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 10-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Default Nicely done Arach

Great job on a complex issue
Rob
Old 10-16-2016, 06:34 AM

Good read.
All sides of the debate outlined, thanks.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Very balanced opinion from all perspectives. Way to go
Old 10-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Very balanced opinion from all perspectives. Way to go
This is what I appreciated about the article. Very well written!

Kudos Arachnodisiac
Old 10-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Banned

Of course I can't navigate it, but it looks like a good magazine. I will try and get one this week. Thanks for the heads up Wildwoods
Old 10-16-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Of course I can't navigate it, but it looks like a good magazine. I will try and get one this week. Thanks for the heads up Wildwoods
It is a little tricky to navigate this magazine. Use the side scroll arrows to get locate the article. Slide the magnifier bar at the bottom to increase the size to a readable size print. To change pages scroll down. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:30 AM

Very good article.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Good write up
Old 10-16-2016, 10:55 AM

Thanks Arachnodisiac, great article. Very informative and well written. You have done a excellent job of bringing to light the complexity of effectively managing the elk population on and around the base. My son and I adopted two mustangs off the block back in the early nineties. They turned out to be very good horses and we are still using them. I was told at the time that just over 11 hundred were removed from the base. It is interesting to note how the population of horses on the base did not increase as rapidly as did the elk. Horses were on the block for several decades with the population not exceeding twelve hundred head.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:34 AM

the population not exceeding twelve hundred head.

Question is if they culled them ? The reason given for the horse removal was their impact on the range. Don't think anyone even mentioned elk for a couple of years after. Didn't realize who the author was, but Good Work.

Grizz
Old 10-16-2016, 12:17 PM

I think the article was well written but definitely brushed over the native subsistence issue with Natives taking many trophy class bulls and not following the nature of the subsistence hunt.

I would have respected the article and its author much more had this issue at least been addressed and not made native hunting seem like some saviour to the elk problem.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
I think the article was well written but definitely brushed over the native subsistence issue with Natives taking many trophy class bulls and not following the nature of the subsistence hunt.

I would have respected the article and its author much more had this issue at least been addressed and not made native hunting seem like some saviour to the elk problem.
You need to understand this :
Just because natives can shoot anything dues not mandate that tgry have to leave so - called trophy bulls for white hunters .
There is no law saying tgry gave yo take only cows and calves or rag horns and spikers.
The natives taking big racked bulls is a non issue that is why it was not focused on .
Cat
Old 10-16-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Just because natives can shoot anything dues not mandate that tgry have to leave so - called trophy bulls for white hunters .
There is no law saying tgry gave yo take only cows and calves or rag horns and spikers.
The natives taking big racked bulls is a non issue that is why it was not focused on .
Cat
I would disagree with that statement, I will also leave it at that today. All and any issues should be covered in the article when possible. It might be an non issue for you but is an issue for many.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Cat
Sorry I disagree. A big part of this issue with me and many others is the issue of the so called subsistence hunting. Shooting a 350 inch bull when there is a much better eating cow standing right beside it is not subsidence it is trophy hunting and is in direct conflict with the intent of the subsidence intent.

Not only did the article brush over the topic but it left an distinct impression that native subsistence hunting was helping the management and good for us we are feeding the people on the reserves. Sorry I think the article missed out on the whole story when it comes to this issue.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Yes it is all about that
If you are that upset about it you may as well quit hunting because it is that way right across the Province .
Thatvis not just at Suffield
The article was not written as a sosp box platform to denounce natives taking bull elk
Cat
Old 10-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

It's an issue...and one that has caused an already divisive topic to grow substantially. Many might not realize want has been happening in this area for more than a decade already as it has only been a couple years of slaughter inside the base. Our first disgusting event was way back in the first Metis scene that blew up. The second they were given the green light there were "new" Metis blasting away at those elk under the guise of subsistence. The worst abuser was a name familiar to anyone that has followed aboriginal hunting abuse in Alberta. He was giving away meat as he had too much from too many 400 inch bulls. When asked he argued he couldn't afford to buy meat and needed those elk. Odd that he could afford the taxidermy no problem?

Oops...I'm disagreeing with the all powerful Cat. My bad. Guess I'll be suspended again. To those who contacted me about bird carcasses, I'm in the phone book.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
the population not exceeding twelve hundred head.

Question is if they culled them ? The reason given for the horse removal was their impact on the range. Don't think anyone even mentioned elk for a couple of years after. Didn't realize who the author was, but Good Work.

Grizz
You are absolutely right regarding the rational for getting rid of the horses on the base. I found this rational ironical, given the huge negative impact the British Army has had over the years conducting war games. I have not been on the base for years but the last time I was, I was amazed at the massive damage caused by the explosion of bombs leaving very large craters and removing large amounts of top soil. After the horses were removed I was told that the antelope herds declined, as they had followed the bands of horses foraging on the range where the horses had pawed snow making it easier for the antelope get to the gasses.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
It is an issue for many because THEY want to shoot the big bulls.
No different if a person with a tag shot a big bull and did not have it scored.
Cat
That rational makes absolutely no sense. I have lots of trophy animals in my rec room that have never been officially scored but I am by all accounts a trophy hunter. If you want to present it a substance hunting then make it a requirement to shoot cows.

The article presented the natives as substinece hunters and in most cases that is not how they are treating the opportunity. Pictures of truck loads bulls confirmed that.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
It is wrong to shoot truck loads of elk when it is not required. I couldn't agree more with Dale.
As far as the Suffield elk go, they have to be shot and it is either this way or they bring in their own gunships and decimate thr heard that way .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 10-16-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:

As far as people getting banned susoended or whatever else , nobody cares as long as the members are respectful here .
Cat
I'm not the only one that has noticed it. You have handed out several suspensions when no forum rules were broken. I could cite 3 examples without even trying. Why do you think multiple members mention they might get suspended for disagreeing with you? Of course if I do prove it...whaddya think will happen? I bet I know.

As for the topic, I'm guessing many on this site would rather see the military obliterate elk over pouring gas on the racial fire our government has created and keeps feeding. I sincerely doubt the court of public opinion would allow it given the way the CWD issue blew up in their faces. The answer is simple but nobody in this politically correct society of sheep is willing to get it done.

And finally...do something about your effin phone. Go back and read your posts. Theyre incoherent and its frustrating trying to figure out what you're trying to say.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Or more equality upon draws given out around the base/more seasons. I dont think we need to go straight to a gunship...
I'm sure a ship of any type on the prairie would be a little south of useless.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugg View Post
how would you know or understand if it was required or not ? Do you understand how the community works .I think the wright up was done respectfully and truthfully .
The article was wrote up respectfully and truthfully. I thought that she did a great job of explaining how the Elk herd got to where it is presently. What some members are saying though is that Native hunters are going there and targeting big bull elk and using the sustenance reason for hunting to do so. If they were in fact sustenance hunting they would be shooting first elk they saw. Not driving around looking for big bulls.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:46 PM

Start a new thread of you want to complain about that, this one is about the Article in the ACA magazine
Cat
Old 10-16-2016, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the link to the article and thanks to the author; you did a great job. I really enjoyed reading it as I devour any info I can find about the herd and area. I find it the subject fascinating.
I've seen elk in the area a few times but I've never had the good luck to ever get a chance at hunting them. Someday maybe....
I personally find it amazing that such a awesome hunting opportunity was re-created that hasn't been viable since the 1800's. Who would ever believe that people would be complaining about to many elk..... What a awesome problem to have
My dad had stories of moving buildings off the "new base" too their farm in the Tilley area using their teams of horses back in the day. I still have pics of them standing until about a half dozen years ago when the present owner thought 2 more acres of alfalfa was more important than the upland cover.