Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Not sure about the situation in question, but I've seen and experienced a similar one where agricultural lease land is completely surrounded by deeded land. You might have the right to hunt lease land, but if you can't get to it, you really have no right. I'm usually not in favour of selling public land, but in cases like that, I don't see much benefit in the public keeping it. The only people who can lease it are those with abutting property and no one else can get to it. Maybe trade it for more accessible land, or buy a right of way to get to it. Otherwise sell it and be done with the administration.
Could the lease land in this case not be accessed via the road allowance?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Absolutely bang on....that's why we need better training for new hunters. A graduated system, a thorough written test and practical exams in shooting and game handling would be a great start. Having a group of hunters with an advanced education (provable with a special certificate) would go a long ways to helping the landowners choose.
Yes. We need to make it even harder for future hunters to get involved in the lifestyle. Makes perfect sense. Come on

Last edited by wildside2014; 10-03-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:08 PM

CO = Conservation Officer
Old 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWhitetail View Post
What do you mean by contacting the CO? what is that?
Conservation officer. Call your local fish and wildlife office.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:22 PM

Sorry. Conservation officer or contact the land settlement officer. Both should help figure out the road and have the log cleared if it's not to be there

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned

I just completed all three appeals with a lease holder and lost at every turn. Hunters don't realize how badly they are being shafted by the government and lessee's. Leases without on/off dates can arrange to have stock on the lease for the entire hunting season and you can't hunt. But the lessee and friends can hunt and use vehicles however they want. If there is a short high grade oil lease road which has been used by the public for years which goes through a small corner of a huge lease and is the only access to thousands of acres of un occupied crown land the lessee can lock up solid. Again, he can allow friends through to private hunting again. Basically the government has turned over our crown land to lessees without anyone knowing about it.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Banned

thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

I called the county & it is in fact a road allowance for that one access where there is a log across the road with "no trespassing" sign.

She said i have every right to use that road to access the crown land for whatever reason. So ill drive over the log with my atv. If i get confronted by said land owners. Ill keep it non confrontational, respectful (no matter what their treatment is towards me) & simply state what I've said above.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:

I called the county & it is in fact a road allowance for that one access where there is a log across the road with "no trespassing" sign.

She said i have every right to use that road to access the crown land for whatever reason. So ill drive over the log with my atv. If i get confronted by said land owners. Ill keep it non confrontational, respectful (no matter what their treatment is towards me) & simply state what I've said above.
I'm glad you have your problem solved but the reality is an issue like yours is only the tip of the iceberg. The municipality is responsible for removing the log and any signs. The public retains the right of access even if the road allowance is leased.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texican View Post
The road allowance could also be under a lease.
This could likely be the easiest thing to check out to see if you'll have access.
Leased road allowances are common around here and alot of people seem to be ignorant to that fact. ie. cutting fences, driving around barricades
Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Alberta Whitetail let us know if you do end up having a confrontation with the leaseholder. I am curious how the leaseholder will handle himself after you educate him about being able to use that road.
Good luck this year!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:17 PM

Default New hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Yes. We need to make it even harder for future hunters to get involved in the lifestyle. Makes perfect sense. Come on
It does make perfect sense, a person can do hunters safety online, get a firearms liscence without ever having shot a firearm and you somehow think it's too difficult to have proper training?

Most of us live in the cities and go to the country to hunt, many new hunters have never done any work etc. ona farm and indeed many of them are new Canadians who don't understand our way of life let alone be able to fathom the hunting regulations.

A graduated liscence is exactly what we need to get out from under the bad image that hunters have. It's not going to get better without better education.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It does make perfect sense, a person can do hunters safety online, get a firearms liscence without ever having shot a firearm and you somehow think it's too difficult to have proper training?

Most of us live in the cities and go to the country to hunt, many new hunters have never done any work etc. ona farm and indeed many of them are new Canadians who don't understand our way of life let alone be able to fathom the hunting regulations.

A graduated liscence is exactly what we need to get out from under the bad image that hunters have. It's not going to get better without better education.
i think you're on to something