Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2015, 04:26 PM

Default Loop Booster Fly Rod?

Hey everyone! I'm looking at upgrading my pike rod and have had my eye on the loop booster for sometime. I like the idea of a bit shorter rod, as I fish from my standup paddle board often
I would also like to use it for saltwater as well. im looking for a powerful rod to cast big flys and buck the southern Alberta wind, as well as fighting the wind on the flats.
I have never casted one and was wondering if anyone has some experience with this rod. I was considering another TFO BVK 8 or 9 wt, as I'm quite happy with the ones I have. (3wt and 6wt). Open to suggestions as well!!

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM

J have a bvk 8# and love it.It will toss a pretty big fly.I'm sure the 9#will toss much bigger but is also heavier and seems to me a lot stiffer (just a wiggle test) so if you go for one of these try to cast them or at least handle them.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM

I've casted the booster quite a few times with large pike flies, and it handles very well. I now own a sage bass 2 rod, which is significantly faster action and even shorter. Both are great candidates for a pike/warm water rod, although I think the shorter length may hinder you for long-distance casting on the flats. But I've only flats fished twice, and with a 9' rod
Just a side note, most of my rods are Loop rods, and I am fairly happy with them.
Good luck on your search
Old 01-28-2015, 10:28 PM

If you've got the money....

Go for the sage method 990-4. As fly theory stated a sage bass rod would also be a good selection. I dont know exactly what type of flats fishing you're looking at, but after having spent a week on a skiff, it was rare that i was taking shots at fish past 60'. Some fish were as close as 15'.

The only reason i wouldn't go with the booster for the intended purpose of using flats fishing is because, they are one hell of a clunky rod. They do well handling big dirty stuff with the proper line, but as soon as you're trying to drop size 4 gotchas in a teacup 40' away. I do not see the booster giving you the upper hand.

When it comes to these bigger rods now a days, you really cant miss if you spend a bit more money on the newer technology. My method 796 feels like a 4wt in my hands. Sure makes it more enjoyable when im blasting 8" bull trout streamers day in and day out. I use a 9100 zaxis for my pike fishing and the thing is also light in hand, but basically what it comes down to for me, is that if i'm spending a day pike fishing, i want a rod that doesnt bother my shoulder after casting cat sized flies all day long, and when it comes to flats fishing, i want a rod that performs well at all distances into the wind. To sum up that lengthy paragraph, the booster would sure do a good job for occasional pike fishing, but would fail in the flats department.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM

Default additional guides

Just to note that both guides mentioned in this post are Marlon guides. there is also a few more, Orlando and Orelvis and some other guy I didn't meet. These guys have the full on mitzi flats boats and in my mind are the way to go. Not sure how you can reach them directly, but we booked though a Canadian company www.guidesforflyfishing.com. All went well.

In terms of flies, tan and leggy is totally the best rule. For permit we found that Flexo-crabs were the best, and if you are lucky enough to get there when the permit role in (April-June), if it ain't chartuese it ain't no use!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
If you've got the money....

Go for the sage method 990-4. As fly theory stated a sage bass rod would also be a good selection. I dont know exactly what type of flats fishing you're looking at, but after having spent a week on a skiff, it was rare that i was taking shots at fish past 60'. Some fish were as close as 15'.

The only reason i wouldn't go with the booster for the intended purpose of using flats fishing is because, they are one hell of a clunky rod. They do well handling big dirty stuff with the proper line, but as soon as you're trying to drop size 4 gotchas in a teacup 40' away. I do not see the booster giving you the upper hand.

When it comes to these bigger rods now a days, you really cant miss if you spend a bit more money on the newer technology. My method 796 feels like a 4wt in my hands. Sure makes it more enjoyable when im blasting 8" bull trout streamers day in and day out. I use a 9100 zaxis for my pike fishing and the thing is also light in hand, but basically what it comes down to for me, is that if i'm spending a day pike fishing, i want a rod that doesnt bother my shoulder after casting cat sized flies all day long, and when it comes to flats fishing, i want a rod that performs well at all distances into the wind. To sum up that lengthy paragraph, the booster would sure do a good job for occasional pike fishing, but would fail in the flats department.
I agree with everything here.

For pike, I would lean to the lightest rod possible in at least an 8wt. A longer rod will give more power than a shorter rod. Simply because of the extra power to cast pike flies, I would still lean to a longer rod.

$450 is a sweet spot when you start getting into some nicer rods. The BVK is certainly a nice enough rod for the money, but at just a little more, you can get an Orvis Recon or Sage Motive. Or, if you have the money, the Method is a truly amazing rod.