Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Great birds. These conversations are quite funny from the outside. We have shot a pile of pheasants both "wild" and released. I have seen "wild" and released birds in poor to good shape. I have seen 40"+ birds with no daylight in their nostrils and some with daylight. Smart "wild" birds and others standing on the road.
Enjoy the hunt and enjoy the birds. They were all released at one point
S
So true

LC
Old 10-14-2016, 01:29 PM

Looks like a good time. These pics make me miss pheasant hunting near estevan, sask when I used to live there when I was younger. Nice birds.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Thumbs up My passion....

Ahhh yes .......The beginning of another year for the quest of the elusive 40" wild Rooster.Cant make it out Tommorow because of work,but will defiantly be going everyday I can for about a month straight until deer hunting.....like most years I expect to come out short of 40",but I'm going to try my best...

There was a specific rooster last year who gave me the slip 3 different times with only one tough shot through a tight opening at him where I missed.I was obsessed with this rooster to the point that I found myself sitting on a hill with Optics before dark in his general area trying to spot him coming out into the open.Then one time I did find him this way but he wouldn't flush when I arrived at his location.hoping big boy is still around and my relatives don't get him Tommorow when I'm not there
Old 10-14-2016, 05:03 PM

Got one last year that was 42 bars, it was awesome until the cat broke it in half and chewed it...
Old 10-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Ahhh yes .......The beginning of another year for the quest of the elusive 40" wild Rooster.Cant make it out Tommorow because of work,but will defiantly be going everyday I can for about a month straight until deer hunting.....like most years I expect to come out short of 40",but I'm going to try my best...

There was a specific rooster last year who gave me the slip 3 different times with only one tough shot through a tight opening at him where I missed.I was obsessed with this rooster to the point that I found myself sitting on a hill with Optics before dark in his general area trying to spot him coming out into the open.Then one time I did find him this way but he wouldn't flush when I arrived at his location.hoping big boy is still around and my relatives don't get him Tommorow when I'm not there
Dont sweat it junkie .. I'll do my best to get one for you .
Old 10-14-2016, 06:26 PM

I have to get my lab out and try for a Pheasant, looks like fun.
Good job, love the bonus Geese too!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Banned

With the shameless self-promotion plug of this thread and well feeling, well left out… Hunting only self-thinkers myself I figured possibly a sign would dumb them down a bit didn’t work sad face.

As of the hunter’s I know have at least one dog older than the combined experience of the two most vocal release site experts also, is adding to the amusement.
Nice birds...

Old 10-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Nice pic thanks for sharing.

LC
Old 10-14-2016, 09:13 PM

Put up a trail camera so I would know where to be at first light .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRMS0003.jpg (54.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 10-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Great birds. These conversations are quite funny from the outside. We have shot a pile of pheasants both "wild" and released. I have seen "wild" and released birds in poor to good shape. I have seen 40"+ birds with no daylight in their nostrils and some with daylight. Smart "wild" birds and others standing on the road.
Enjoy the hunt and enjoy the birds. They were all released at one point
S
Do you really believe that? Sure pheasants are not native to Alberta and maybe that's what you mean...but I could show you places that havent seen a release in more than a decade and the population is doing well. It's usually places where the cover is so thick and nasty that you won't see a pheasant without top shelf dogs and even the best of them don't usually fare that well. In fact I've take. People out that didn't believe pheasants even lived there. There have even been a few good contributing members of this forum that have gone out to see it firsthand. There are a few others on this forum that I think are pretty good guys and Id have no problem taking them out for a day of pheasant fun. Yes, I could show you some fantastic pheasant hunting...but I never would.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:06 PM

I hunt wild birds down south every year as well as released birds .
It's all fun as far as I am concerned and I have seen some released birds that were heavily feathered but that dies not concern me as much as having birds in good shape .

I just got a report last night that one area I get a chance to hunt occasionally has more wild birds than my my friend has seen since he was a kid
Cat
Old 10-16-2016, 04:09 PM

It's great to hear that some wild populations are doing well, and it's a shame that the wild population hasn't done as well in more locations. I hope to get down South next year to look for some wild birds myself,but for most of us, that live a fair distance from the wild populations, the best that we can hope for is to make a trip or two down South every year, and make due with the release sites for the balance of the season.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:17 PM

Looks like a fun day out
Old 10-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's great to hear that some wild populations are doing well, and it's a shame that the wild population hasn't done as well in more locations. I hope to get down South next year to look for some wild birds myself,but for most of us, that live a fair distance from the wild populations, the best that we can hope for is to make a trip or two down South every year, and make due with the release sites for the balance of the season.
For so many in this province it's the only thing that makes sense. I'd like to see a little tweaking to smooth things out, but I'm happy that these places exist. Everyone should get to experience a rooster exploding from the grass at your feet cackling as he heads out. A 6 hour drive for two birds...assuming you can find them and secure permission etc, is just not realistic.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Dont sweat it junkie .. I'll do my best to get one for you .
Short again 33" and 35".....aswell I think he gave me the slip....Dont know if it was him,but the biggest rooster I saw all day was in the same area as big boy last fall and this Rooster was all by himself just like the big Boy last year....The hunt continues
Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
There are a few others on this forum that I think are pretty good guys and Id have no problem taking them out for a day of pheasant fun. Yes, I could show you some fantastic pheasant hunting...but I never would.
\\

LOL...Darn!

No worries I have great spots, great dogs, people I would want to spend the day with and never had a problem.

Once again nice birds.

S
Old 10-16-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Dont know if it was him,but the biggest rooster I saw all day was in the same area as big boy last fall and this Rooster was all by himself just like the big Boy last year....The hunt continues
That's awesome..enjoy the battle!

S
Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Short again 33" and 35".....aswell I think he gave me the slip....Dont know if it was him,but the biggest rooster I saw all day was in the same area as big boy last fall and this Rooster was all by himself just like the big Boy last year....The hunt continues
Dont feel bad , its a long season and you'll get him . We limited out but nothing special for length . I have my own version of a 40"+ bird thats gonna take some work to get a shot at . May not even happen but worth the effort .