Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 05:10 PM

Default September whitetail

I start school in a few weeks and the September long weekend will be the only chance I get to hunt deer, I know it's early, I'd be happy with a doe to fill my freezer but what are the chances of rattling in a buck? Hunting in the 500's
Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Not good. Never know I guess.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Chances are less than slim. Best bet would be to spend some time before the season scouting... find out where they're eating and where they're sleeping and set up in between.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 AM

Rattling in a buck? haha

Find a nice field, get set up about a few hours before dark, and wait til they come out to feed. Boom.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:37 AM

I would suggest you don't rattle at all. Find a place where there's a lot of evidence of deer movement, and sit down and wait. Be incredibly quiet, so don't even think about rattling
Old 08-19-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacan View Post
I would suggest you don't rattle at all. Find a place where there's a lot of evidence of deer movement, and sit down and wait. Be incredibly quiet, so don't even think about rattling
x2
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 AM

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, wouldn't a fawn call bring in some deer in September? Not a buck, but a doe should come in I'd think. I'm heading out in September too and thought this might work. Just gotta keep an eye out for predators when doing this too I guess
Old 08-19-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but, wouldn't a fawn call bring in some deer in September? Not a buck, but a doe should come in I'd think. I'm heading out in September too and thought this might work. Just gotta keep an eye out for predators when doing this too I guess
You got a better chance getting a mulie doe to come investigate a fawn in distress. They're more curious than w.t's.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
You got a better chance getting a mulie doe to come investigate a fawn in distress. They're more curious than w.t's.
I'm not necessarily thinking about the fawn in distress but more like a simple fawn bleat
Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 AM

I have a lot of success in early September due to less hunting pressure. What zone you planning on hunting? I know some people don't like it but road hunting this time of year can be effective, just check lease sites in the early morning and around dusk. Also have seen some nice bucks early season before the rut for the above reasons.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM

I have early season hunted w.t.'s in 505-507 for lots of years. raab is correct. You are going to need to cover a lot of ground.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM

I have a good clearing where does like to feed but I haven't seen any bucks there, I have fount good scrapes in the area but due to work responsibilities I can't get enough time to scout/hunt... Maybe next year