Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Fish and Wildlife

Although I respect that these fish & Wildlife Officers, CO's, Game Wardens are doing their job, sometimes they go a bit out of their way to inspect and monitor one's activities. I too was in a situation a few years back on Crown Land in the Slave Lake area when one morning after finishing up breakfast dishes in the camper 2 CO's showed up for a visit; No problem, I was glad to see them out in the field doing their job. They checked the usual licenses, tags, firearm located in the scabbord on the quad, etc. with no problems as it was all smiles and well wishes and they were on their way. 3 hours later while touring on the quads to an area we never had accessed before due to many impassible swamps, the CO's walked out from the bush where they had hid their quads to "catch us in the act!" they again asked to see our guns to ensure no ammo was located within, we said "go ahead their still empty as they were this morning". At this point I'm not too frustrated as this is still one more chance for them to check us out with more reasonable cause but it gets better. As we toured on for the rest of the day to uncharted territory for us, we knew it would be late getting back as we had found a way to complete a full circle to camp without needing to travel on the same trail back. Arriving 2hrs after sunset back in camp, somewhat cold, and even more looking forward to a nice meal to our surprise, the CO's were sitting in our lawn chairs, in the dark, and obviously cold as it was -15 C waiting for us. They approached us and began accusing us of night hunting and threatend us to pack up camp immediately and leave, oh yes after once again checking our firearms for ammo, and of course we have yet to do anything illegal. Ok, now I'm ****ed and ready for a fight but for some unknown reason to my hunting party, the patience that I didn't know existed within me, I politely explained our day to the CO's, proving that we were not doing anything wrong and that we were not going to leave the camp area for a couple more days and wished them on their way! Now tell me to be more cooperative next time I'm pulled over in the field and if the CO has their usual attitude that they're catching you doing something illegal, you folks will be able to enjoy and even more interesting story! I hope you all have a safe and enjoyble season.