Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 PM

Default Browning hells Canyon speed or kimber hunter

Looking for a new hunting rifle as I sold all my old ones but am having a hard time deciding between the two, or possibly something else.

Caliber would be 6.5 creedmoor. I am set on that too.

But which would you guys choose and why?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 PM

I am a Kimber freak, they are very accurate. The price is right for the hunter as well. The only issue I have had is the Kimber Montana's show rust on the stainless, but I have cured all my rust issues. I have cerakoted them. You won't be disappointed with the Kimber.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:10 PM

I have 2 kimbers, both are very accurate. I almost bought an x-bolt as a varmint rifle but I came to my senses lol. I haven't really had an issue with any rust yet, it's been more than a few years with my Montana. My classic select hasn't had any issues yet.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Kimber for me... always.

I don't even know how many Kimbers I have had over the years. Gotta be pushing a dozen. Let me tell you this, all have been accurate, easy to load for, handled recoil very well, and had great triggers. There has honestly been nothing to not like. I do not currently have one, as I just buy, play with, and then sell. I have been reading lots about the Hunter model. Will likely be the next one I get, as I like a detachable magazine.

Lots of guys seem to have an aversion to X Bolts. I had one and really liked it. Accurate and fit me well. Trigger was okay, but not in the same league as a Kimber. I do have a good friend that had a less than satisfactory experience with his X Bolt, but it seemed to be an isolated issue.

The best money you will spend, IMO, is the difference between the Kimber and Browning (if any).

Last edited by sns2; 03-28-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:44 PM

thanks guys, good news is I was already leaning towards the kimber, I just liked the idea of the Cerakote on the browning. However I havent seen the Browning in person yet either. I have seen the Kimber and thought it was a nice choice.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:31 PM

I own and like the browning x-bolt, nothing but good things to say which seems to be the average concesus among owners. The reason people lean away from them is usually for reasons of modularity and availability of after market parts I.e if you want to change stocks. Otherwise good shooters, especially for the money.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 PM
AO Sponsor

We have a consignment just came in, hells canyon speed in 6.5. still in box, shot a few times. comes with 80 brass or so. 1150.00
pics available if you send your email.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:29 PM

As much as I like Browning shotguns, I just can't warm up to their current centerfire rifles. I would go Kimber myself. And although you are set on the Creedmoor, I would go 260rem myself.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 PM

I have no experience with the Browning, but I do very much like my kimber.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:24 PM

Another option I'd look into would be the Christensen Arms Mesa.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
Another option I'd look into would be the Christensen Arms Mesa.
Looks like a nice rifle but is a bit too much for me... okay way too much. Lol
The kimber and browning are really pushing it already for me.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Looking for a new hunting rifle as I sold all my old ones but am having a hard time deciding between the two, or possibly something else.

Caliber would be 6.5 creedmoor. I am set on that too.

But which would you guys choose and why?
The Browning feels better to me. The 6.5 is also a good choice.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As much as I like Browning shotguns, I just can't warm up to their current centerfire rifles. I would go Kimber myself. And although you are set on the Creedmoor, I would go 260rem myself.
They are essentially the same; the 260 has a very slight advantage when it comes to reloading but the 6.5CM has an advantage in factory ammo availability.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Looks like the consignment one is sold
Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverCANADA View Post
They are essentially the same; the 260 has a very slight advantage when it comes to reloading but the 6.5CM has an advantage in factory ammo availability.
And since I never use factory centerfire ammunition, that isn't a factor for me.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:06 PM

Had a Kimber LTR. Really good trigger, shot lights out, only sold it to give some give a semi auto 223 a try. Never had an issue with it.

One of my hunting buddies on the other hand, has a Kimber 7mm-08 that has never ejected reliably for him. Eventually he got it back to Kimber warranty centre for service I want to came back to him… Still does the same thing.

I'd still go with the Kimber, but I'd buy through a shop with a good reputation for customer service. If you're unlucky enough to get one with the problem they can deal with it for you.

I had a rifle cerakoted recently and it looks great! I'd buy your rifle, get shooting with it and if it gets any love marks on it then have it cerakoted. I'm not planning to do anymore right away, but will do it if an action or a barrel needs some TLC down the road (or if I get bored). It's worth keeping in mind that stock fire arms always sell quicker than one's that have had any customization done. So, make sure you've got a rifle you love, before sinking extra bucks into it. Pretty easy to sell/trade it for something else if you want that way.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 PM

I'd buy your rifle, get shooting with it and if it gets any love marks on it then have it cerakoted. I'm not planning to do anymore right away, but will do it if an action or a barrel needs some TLC down the road (or if I get bored). It's worth keeping in mind that stock fire arms always sell quicker than one's that have had any customization done. So, make sure you've got a rifle you love, before sinking extra bucks into it. Pretty easy to sell/trade it for something else if you want that way.[/QUOTE]

Great point about not doing the cerakote right away but leaving it to see what happens to the factory finish.

As to the 260 vs 6.5 cm yah I know we can argue about all the little differences that may or may not be big differences. I am going with the 6.5 based on the two are really close... but I am all set up for reloading the cm already.