Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 AM

I went jogging with my dog on Birchwood trails in the ross Henagar area of thickwood in fort mac . started seeing a bunch of garbage on the trail and my mind didn't even go to "bear" I for some reason went to thinking it was just people being pigs . I came around a blind corner and almost went right into him . he had a Rubbermaid garbage bin drug into the middle of the trail from the houses on the other side of the greenbelt. He was not scared of us at all . I chose to run my ass down a side trail back to the green belt where I seen a FW officer with a shotgun looking for him. definitely got the heart pumping that morning !
Old 03-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Walked over a small ridge while roughed grouse hunting years ago and smack dab onto a big pile of fresh dirt and big dark hole. Bent down and peered into it and it slowly became apparent that something was in the hole and every so slowly coming out. Im like a foot in front of hole with shotgun full of 7 1/2 bird shot. Then the movement suddenly becomes a bear head and I realize Im standing right at the entrance to a fresh dug bear den and the occupant has hung a no tresspassing sign. I can still remember those dark beady eyes staring a hole right thru me. My first thought was "I'll kick it right in the teeth" luckily that thought was very fleeting and I slowly raised the shotgun. It was an over/under and when I fired the lower barrel went off so instead of hitting it square between the eyes it was a littlw lower and thru the top of snout into back of mouth. That blew it back into the den but it came charging out in a flash and second shot caught it just above the eye and it was all over. No time to be scared it was just instinct reaction.

Then another time I had hit a bear just before dark and so tracked following morning. No blood trail so two of us just spread out pararell and started moving in direction it travelled. I came across it laying on side in a small clearing. I threw a log at it to make sure it was done for and poked its butt with no reaction then called for my buddy to come over that I had found it. AS he came into clearing maybe 30 feet from me I lay my gun down and got over bears back and grabbed its shoulders with the intent to hold it up to show my buddy. As soon as I got a good grip on its high shoulders the " dead" bear raised its head up looking away from me
.Here I am holding a wounded bear by the shoulders. Thankfully it was a sick one or I may not be typing this. I believe that I set a new olympic record for the longest back jump from a standing start and my buddy quickly dispatched it.
Oh and I cant forget this past fall. Was out moose hunting in bow season with daughter. We were sitting on the ground on a downed poplar tree and I was calling with daughter sitting behind me. After a number of calling sequences my daughter calmly says to me. " dad there is a cougar right behind us. I slowly swivel around and a very large male cougar is staring at us at a later measured 9 feet away. We stared at each other for maybe a second and it slowly turned and disappeared into thick tag alders. Guess he figured we werent as tasty as the moose he had heard. He came in and left thru the thickest tag alders you could imagine and you couldnt hear him at all. I was amazed at how calm my daughter was it was just a great experience for both of us. Just goes to show you that you likely walk by those cats often and never know they are there. I have a number of trail cam pics of several cats in this area but this is first one I saw.
And just think bear season is just over a month away cant wait for this years excitement
Old 03-17-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Oh Man... I got lots.

Setting up a GPS cache course for my students up a mountain late in the spring.... headlamps show three sets of eyes approaching us in the bush.. eyes are illuminated by my headlamp and are 20 feet away... I can't tell what they are. All three sets of eye stop. The biggest one's moves right to the ground....I decide 'thems aint cattle' and fire my 30-30 in their direction....

Mama coug and her two kits go bounding off.

I was doing a 15 second sprint on a trail run 2 years ago.... dogs with me. We turn a sharp corner and just aout collide with a cinnamon bear going full tilt towards us.
Bit of surprise, barking, yellin, swearing..... we all high tail it in different directions... My dog hot on BooBoos trail.

Worst close call to date has no critters involved, but I still get chills every time i think about it.
I was on the ice (yup) with my three little girls set up for pike.... Local small lake. The chinook winds were drifting alot of the fresh snow everywhere and we had poor luck that afternoon. My kids were toodling all over the place cause it was February and I figured the ice was ok.
We were packing up and I got my auger hoisted over my left shoulder (my right shoulder is completely separated from a soccer thing... it just floats there cause the doc won;t repair it). My middle girl who's 4 at the time and I are the last to get off the ice... we take a shortcut over untracked lake, I'm not payin attention to things..

Next thing I hear is my little girl quietly say .. "Dad.." and she's going down through the ice. I leap 2 strides over grab her with my bad arm and toss her a good 5 feet back onto tracked snow. The ice under ME doesn't give way. My girl was at least up to her waist in water-slush when I grabbed her. I know that we were in at least 15' of water where she was going in.

I haul her up to the truck, strip her down and get the heater going. Her siblings huddle into her. They don;t really grasp what happened.

I drive home ... very silent. Shaken up big time. The pain in my shoulder kicked in right about when we rolled into the driveway.

I have no idea why that patch of ice was like that. I never checked it ourt later, there's no springs there. My only guess is maybe someone sawed a big hole in the ice and the snow drifted over it concealing it.....

I just know I dodged a tragedy.
Yikes...that gave me chills! Glad all involved are OK!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 AM

Squirrel scared the daylights out of me a few times. If my gun had been loaded and pointed at myself i could of been i injured. Thankfully i have only had jump scares and nothing bad happen still try and keep bear spray and stuff handy.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 PM

On birchtrails in fort mac. Had a black sow come down the hill behind me as I sat drinking my water. When I stood up, she was 20' behind me. I started to walk away when I saw her. I walked another 20', talked to her like we were old friends. She looked away like a moose does before going that way. She trotted off away from me. I got my bear encounter story on alberta now western game warden magazine. Stay calm, they should too.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 AM

Default Shot at

A few years back me and my brother in law were in 346 crossing a cut block in november i had my orange hat on when we see a truck on the road a **** rings out hits snow and dirt 40'gtpm use we hit the ground just as another shot is let go. I start waving my orange and yelling. The truck takes off 2 ladies in a green chen truck. Scared the hell out of me
Old 03-19-2017, 03:16 PM

About 6 years ago I was helping track a big mule deer that my friend had shot through the gut with his bow. We had given the buck plenty of time, and had solid prints in some fresh snow to track by. The buck had gone into a SUPER think stand of buckbrush in a deep coulee and didn't come back out. 6 hours after the shot, I went in on the track and my buddy set up on the other side of the brush just in case he was still alive and spooked out the other end for a follow up shot.
I was pushing through the brush and the second I saw him bedded in there, he came out like a rocket at me, knocked me back through the brush and out onto the ground - my friend heard the commotion and came running around the brush to see the buck trying to gore me on the ground - he actually thought at that time that the bucks brow tines were in my belly... for fear of hitting me, he didn't shoot it, we wrestled it to the ground and finished it with our belt knives (it was messy and awful).
Walking back to the truck, I felt a trickling down my leg, and when we checked, it was blood from a puncture on my left buttcheek and one on my right thigh - 2" from my Johnson...
I still have the scars from it. Turned out to score 196" or so as a non-typical.
I learned to leave a gutshot deer overnight.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 PM

I used to do trail maintainence, in the spring before downhill mountain bike season, at sun peaks resort about 12 years or so ago. So I was working by myself raking trail down to the bottom. Before the chalet there is a long straight away with tall grass on either side. As I'm raking a notice a black bear come out on the trail about 70yards away. As I'm watching it I see that it's walking towards me so I yell and shout at it to leave. It keeps coming. I throw things at it now because it's now 50 or 40 yards away. It keeps coming. I am running out of ideas when uphill I hear a co worker coming down the trail on a quad. As soon as I catch sight of the quad I look back and the black bear runs into the tall grass with two cubs running behind her. I never even knew what was happening till I saw those cubs. I was lucky.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Banned

Sitting on a log on a cut line near dusk , moose hunting about an hour from Fort Nelson BC , 4 of us a week into the hunt , 2 moose hanging 12 feet off the ground back at camp,

2 Grizz encounters while we packed out the 2 dead moose meat, in one encounter warning shots fired at less than 20 meters,,, seeing Grizz every day,,

So here I sit watching a cut line for moose at dusk, a couple km from the prior moose kills,,

WHAM ! Something slams my back and the back of my head, I glance up to see a Big Owl flying off with my Camo hunting cap,,

You could smell the poo for 5 km downwind,,,
Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Vancouver island, sitting on a rock, stream flowing like 10 yards away, looked from my right to my left then back after a brief pause to see a cougar drinking water...I was frozen still, it turned away and vanished...I was numb.
Appreciated it after I lef the area.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Close call??

This past archery season in 305. Im not really sure how close of a "call" this was, But hiking into a vantage point in the moonlight. I had what I can only assume was a cat behind me for about an hour. It stayed about 40 yards behind me. I only know this because every time I stopped I heard an extra step..... I figure possibly a younger cat sizing me up
Old 03-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Camping in Waterton in my early 20s. We walked about a 100' from camp up in Crandel Lake. It was dark, and there was already a Grizzly Bear warning for the area. All we heard was a deep roar, no farther than 20-30 feet ahead of us. We just turned around and sped walked into the camp shelter which still had a fire going. We could hear the bear walking around the shelter. Plus we had 2 couples with us in tents sleeping 50 yards away. In all honesty being young and dumb, we didn't take the right precautions and probably lured the bear in by not cleaning the camp stove and storing our food in non scent proof containers. As well as other sloppy practices. Learnt a good lesson that day. Now I'm extra vigilant and careful when camping or hiking.

Another one that comes to mind, was when I was a kid. Probably 10 or so. Me and my buddy used to go out picking cactus berries just outside of town. We walked to within 3 feet of a huge Rattlsnakes. Curled up, rattling ready to strike. We threw out pops at it, and bolted. My friend told me that Rattlsnakes are faster than humans!lol
That means they can strike faster than you could move, but of course we ran probably nearly 3/4's of a kilometre thinking this snake was right behind us, to scared to look back! Lol.
Still have a good laugh when I run into him about that one.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Gone Hunting

When I shot my moose two years ago, my shot was a dinner bell. Thank God the moose came out to the cutline where I could see a a good distance each way. As I was gutting it, a "woofing & snorting" noise got my attention in a hurry. I turned to see a sow grizz & her two yearling cubs come out of the bush 100 yds behind and start toward me . I shot beside her a couple of times and reloaded. The shots did not phase her, she was on a mission. Needless to say, I got my arse out of there. She won. Was I glad that I was not gutting in some heavy bush where I would not have seen her nearly as soon!!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
I was out checking a trailcam I had set out for a big whitetail I was keeping tabs on. I arrived at my camera pulled the SD card and swapped out the batteries. No sooner had i turned around there was a big black bear strolling towards me. I froze on the game trail and started yelling at him and waving my arms. He kept on coming towards me and stopped about 12 feet away. I jumped towards him hoping to intimidate him. My heart sank when he didn't back down at all. I grabbed the handful of AA batteries and thew them at his face which did nothing.
Not wanting to run I side stepped around him and slowly walked backwards. He started coming at me again until I reached a fallen log across the trail. He was about 4 feet away from me at this time. I was yelling at the top of my voice and kicking a large branch on the tree to use as a weapon. At this point the bear stood on its hind legs. I managed to break off the branch and struck the bear on the top of the head twice. The bear then got back on all fours and backed off about 15 feet . I spear chucked the branch as hard as I could hitting the bear in the ribs and he ran off about 30 yards and watched me. I slowly backed away and continued to hike back to my truck. Needless to say the next time I went to check that camera i was packing.

FML. this is crazy!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
About 6 years ago I was helping track a big mule deer that my friend had shot through the gut with his bow. We had given the buck plenty of time, and had solid prints in some fresh snow to track by. The buck had gone into a SUPER think stand of buckbrush in a deep coulee and didn't come back out. 6 hours after the shot, I went in on the track and my buddy set up on the other side of the brush just in case he was still alive and spooked out the other end for a follow up shot.
I was pushing through the brush and the second I saw him bedded in there, he came out like a rocket at me, knocked me back through the brush and out onto the ground - my friend heard the commotion and came running around the brush to see the buck trying to gore me on the ground - he actually thought at that time that the bucks brow tines were in my belly... for fear of hitting me, he didn't shoot it, we wrestled it to the ground and finished it with our belt knives (it was messy and awful).
Walking back to the truck, I felt a trickling down my leg, and when we checked, it was blood from a puncture on my left buttcheek and one on my right thigh - 2" from my Johnson...
I still have the scars from it. Turned out to score 196" or so as a non-typical.
I learned to leave a gutshot deer overnight.

Holy crap, hand to antler combat, thank god your buddy was there eh!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Back in the '80's before Lakeland was a provincial park my family of 5 was camping on the shore of Jackson. One morning dad got up and surprised a black bear in camp with 2 cubs. The sow bolted across the trail into the trees, the cubs went up a couple trees in camp. Dad decided we better move out to give them time to clear the area, so we jumped into the boat and did some way to early fishing. Having been on the water for a couple hours, with no food or water of our own, we made our way back to camp. The sow was still pacing 30yards away on the other side of the trail, the cubs still in the tree. Dad got the 12gauge and put us in the truck, mom made a fast breakfast, The poor cubs, I still remember the smoke from the bacon drifting up the tree! We ate in the truck and headed back out on the water for the rest of the day. They left sometime during the day.

Same year mom was up after dad and going to the bathroom when she heard twigs behind her. Thinking it was dad coming back from where we stashed our boat she started talking about what he wanted for breakfast, what the weather was going to be for the day etc. Annoyed she got no response, she turned around to see a bear staring at her 30' away! A scream sent him packing to other way! When dad got back to camp from a walk to Kinnard he got an earful!

Lots of other bear encounters out there, always bring spray.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The first moose I ever shot went right down, so I walked up to about 5 yards from him intending to give him one in the neck. Instead the moose jumped up, put his head down, and came after me. I had my scope cranked up and all I could see was hair in the scope, I was trying to run backwards turn my scope down but out of necessity I ended up just shooting and hoping for the best.

My shot hit him right in the neck, and I got an interesting lesson in the crazy things that can happen when your bullet connects going way faster than it was designed to perform at. The bullet hit him in the windpipe, and exited at a 90 degree angle. The moose did not go down so I'm assuming the bullet didn't hit the spinal column. There was a steady fountain of blood spraying out of the exit wound but the moose stayed on his feet, still looking mad as heck. The fountain turned into weak spurts and he swayed a bit but still kept his feet, by this point I'd got another round chambered and my scope turned down so I dropped him with another shot in the neck.

Heres a link to what happens in this situation when you aren't so lucky. When I first read this it gave me the heebee jeebee's, knowing I was probably only one lucky shot away from getting the same treatment.
http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose.html
Speaking of shooting game way too close with finishing shots....
Not a close call for me personally,but I've had two uncles,one of whom being my most influential outdoorsmen mentor,nearly killed by finishing shots on game,and on two separate continents.
First was my close uncle and mentor growing up in NB,shot a WT doe with model 99 .300 Savage.
Walked up to give it a finisher in the head from 10ft away....bullet entered back of skull,travelled down her spine in reverse direction,and exited between shoulders,narrowly whizzing past my uncle's head.

Second was his/my Dad's sister's Aussie husband,who I've only ever met twice as they live in Australia......but he was hunting kangaroos of all things,put a finishing shot in a roos' head from close range which came back and nearly blew his leg off,shattering his knee and leaving him scarred and crippled for the rest of his days(deceased now rest his soul)......I know lotsa hunters that have experienced lotsa close calls and even actual hunting accidents,but he's definitely the only person I know that's been nearly killed in a kangaroo hunting accident,lol....ok,not funny,just sayn.
Anyhow,I learned vicariously at a very young age through my 2 uncles' experiences that anytime I've had to finish off a deer/moose etc....I do it from a safe distance and from behind cover of the biggest tree trunk available if possible!!
It would really suck to gutshoot ones self miles from any help,therefore I hope by sharing these experiences it might prevent a self-inflicted tragedy for somebody some day.....stay safe out there and NEVER finish downed game from point blank range,it may well be the last shot you ever fire!!

Last edited by West O'5; 03-26-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:32 PM

Three years ago we were hunting sheep on coral creek by nordegg. ive hunted and fished for years and never had a close call with a bear. The night before we left my dad was up half the night reading about bear attacks and I had watched a show on bear attacks that night so of course the next day everyone's a little on edge the next morning. We stopped at David Thompson resort to use the can and grab a coke. I started talking with an older fellow outside about hunting. He told me about how he had hunted these mountains for years. He also mentioned to watch out for bears. I told him I wasn't to worried I've never seen any sign out here. His reply was "when you don't think they're there. They're there." I figured maybe he was off his rocker and hadn't had his meds yet. Anyways we got camp all setup and went to go glass. We heard a shot down in the valley by the cline river. Figured right on someone got a ram. We packed up after a few unsuccessful days and headed home. About two miles from the truck I heard twigs snapping tommy right. I told my dad and brother that I hear something behind me and to the right. They said you're just imaging it. Shortly up the trail the snapping started on the left now everyone could hear it. We walked about two hundred yards further up the trail and there was a young grizzly just inside the trees about 15 yards from us. I shot my rifle into the trees and luckily he took off. Just seemed like a strange chain of events.

Then that summer we got bluff charged by a bull moose on the freeman river. It's tough to run in flowing water up to your waist.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:54 PM

A few Grizzly encounters - I've fired off bangers twice. The only time I've ever felt intimidated by an animal was in May 2008. I was on my belly taking pictures of Calypso Orchids above Lake Minnewanka in Banff NP when the battery in my camera died. I sat up, and found myself facing a cougar less than 15 feet away. I waved my arms. Nothing happened. I stepped back. It took a step towards me. I realized that nobody knew where I was. Profanities were spoken. I knew that if it wanted to take me, it could. I broke a branch off of a fallen tree beside me and threw it at the cat. It jumped back. I did it again, and the cougar casually strolled away, and was joined by another. I assume that it was a teenager (not spotted) that was still hanging out with mom. Such a beautiful animal. Absolutely stunning. The only other cougar I've seen was at the gap on the Oldman, and I was in the truck for that one.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 PM

Default Just had one today

So got the burn barrel full of stuff to burn, last to go in was a few large stuffed animals, dog chews on them etc and they are torn up. So I prepare the barrel, old school, a little bit of gas, ok a lot, put stuffed animals on top about 15 seconds after adding gas, strike match and dropped it down the side of the barrel, we'll all I heard was a loud whomp...airborne burning stuffies...

Old 03-26-2017, 08:06 PM

rattling for whitetail had a cougar at 12 ft.

another time using a predator call as mulie in distress call called three cougars in to 16-20ft and the two cubs at 30ft.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
rattling for whitetail had a cougar at 12 ft.

another time using a predator call as mulie in distress call called three cougars in to 16-20ft and the two cubs at 30ft.
Forgot to mention that detail on page 1,but I was also rattling when I was stalked by that cougar.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:12 PM

While hunting a couple of years ago, I positioned my two sons on a ridge covering a pinch point in a valley while I did a push for them. The only thing I pushed out was a large male cougar who when he jumped up the ridge from the bush below landed beside my older son . My two sons were sitting about 20 feet apart. He proceeded to look at them both , Growl , and jump into the trees just behind them and take off. Close call but they both remained calm and didn't move other than to both grab their knives on their belts. They still bug each other today as to the look on each others face.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 AM

About 10 yrs ago my brother inlaw, a couple buddies,and my self were moose hunting . One buddy and me were on one side of a ridge , we heard a rifle shot and figured they connected. So we started walking over that direction and we got to where we could see my BIL. He yells across ya she's down straight below you guys, so we aimlessly started down thru the bush to the bottom. My buddy was in the lead and as he pushes some willows to the side he comes about 6' from a standing cow moose with her ears back!! I here a bunch of yelling and cussing I was about 20' behind and didn't realize what was happening then I here boom. And some more cussing .. I get there and he was pretty revved up lol. He had been carrying his Ruger #1 unloaded, he says he stumbled back in the thick willows and dropped a shell into the ol number one faster then anyone in recorded history and pretty much shot her from hip.. He also gave the BIL crap about saying she's down, but she was, it went back and forth still does . Funny now but could been bad .

The other time and I think I may have told this one here before , was when I fell thru the ice on deer lake hunting whitetails. We were still on the farm then so I would have been 17-18 and very very smart!! It was a brutal November and it was -20 for at least 2 weeks and was closing in on the last weekend. We went toMy uncles who at the time owned 8 -1/4's around the lake we parked the truck up on the West Bank, my buddy and I hunted here a fair bit and had a simple but effective strategy. One guy walk along the shore/ tree line slowly following around the edge of the lake, one guy goes around a bit behind and up top of the tree line and often times deer would spook or pop out to one or the other. As this day would have it nothing came out and we found ourselves on the east bank straight across from the truck. Me being wiser then my years figured it was simple math and the shortest distance between 2 places was a straight line. My Buddy reluctantly agreed, "after all it's been -20 for 2 weeks " I prompted. Well about 2/3 of the 1 mile walk across I stepped on a muskrat or beaver run and I went down . Standing on my tippy toes my chin was just out of the water, my buddy who was a few yrds behind me starfishes on the ice and starts crawling towards me white as a ghost. I started laughing ( cause I know I'm touching bottom) he really starts to cuss me out .. it's not FN funny . I slung my rifle up towards him and hung onto the sling and he yanked me out. Well the last 1/3 of a mile was tough , -20 10-15 mph winds and i was a block of ice , litterly had to walk like the michellan man, swinging one arm and leg together then the other. I was quite blue and had hypothermia by the time we got home, a warm tub and a new respect for Mother Nature.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The first moose I ever shot went right down, so I walked up to about 5 yards from him intending to give him one in the neck. Instead the moose jumped up, put his head down, and came after me. I had my scope cranked up and all I could see was hair in the scope, I was trying to run backwards turn my scope down but out of necessity I ended up just shooting and hoping for the best.

My shot hit him right in the neck, and I got an interesting lesson in the crazy things that can happen when your bullet connects going way faster than it was designed to perform at. The bullet hit him in the windpipe, and exited at a 90 degree angle. The moose did not go down so I'm assuming the bullet didn't hit the spinal column. There was a steady fountain of blood spraying out of the exit wound but the moose stayed on his feet, still looking mad as heck. The fountain turned into weak spurts and he swayed a bit but still kept his feet, by this point I'd got another round chambered and my scope turned down so I dropped him with another shot in the neck.

Heres a link to what happens in this situation when you aren't so lucky. When I first read this it gave me the heebee jeebee's, knowing I was probably only one lucky shot away from getting the same treatment.

http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose.html

I just met this gentleman last week. Crazy crazy story of sheer determination to live on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
I just met this gentleman last week. Crazy crazy story of sheer determination to live on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! That's one heck of a reminder!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk