Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Rain gear for mountains

I'm going to start going on mountain scouts/hunts this year and I'm going to start accumulating all the gear. I'm looking into the kuiu TETON rain gear. Will this hold up in the mountains and if not what good around the $300-400 price range? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM

I've heard that stuff is great. I personally use the kryptek system but I'm sure most all higher end gear you'll do fine.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:58 AM

I've been looking at reviews but it's hard to tell what's really worth the money. Hard to dish out that type of cash with out really knowing what you're getting. Especially when it comes to the mountains.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 PM

The Teton is your basic entry level rain gear. Much like any North Face,Helly Hansen rain gear sold at the big box stores. The jacket doesn't have pit zips. For your listed use (mountains hunting) any rain jacket should have pit zips to dump heat while moving. If you want to get something that will serve you for years to come look into the Chugach if you are set on KUIU. The Sitka DewPoint is another great option but consideraby more expensive.

If that type of jacket (entry level) is your desire, I'd look at the stores like Atmosphere,SportCheq as they will be having such gear on sale for spring.
The camo pattern is really not important. Specially given one wont be in their rain gear all that much in Alberta. Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:42 PM

I use a set of Marmot Precips (Pants and Jacket). You don't wanna go busting brush with it, but it's pretty light at 24oz for the set which includes full zip off pants and pit zips on the jacket. Usually they retail for about $120 a piece, but they're often on sale for 75-80$. They've worked beautifully for riding out rain showers which is precisely the reason I purchased them. I don't see myself moving into any other rain-gear considering our reasonably dry climate anytime soon.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:26 PM

Kuiu has great reviews.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I will check out mec and atmosphere for thier breathable rainwear. I'll just get it in an earth tones colour which should suffice. Plus that way I can try it on as well. Thanks again
Old 03-19-2017, 03:34 PM

I bought Sitka rain gear, it is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:43 PM

I agree that pit zips are a must if spending anything more than entry level dollars on rain gear. The Teton is a good system but they should integrate pit zips in the future. The Chugach (or the Ultra NX) are a significant step up cost-wise.

If you don't care about having a camo print on them, look into Arcteryx. I realize these compare in price to upper-end Kuiu and Sitka, but good use outside of hunting.

Best of luck.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:43 PM

I went with the Kuiu Yukon jacket and pant combo. Stay super dry when it comes down. It also has great vents to open up whem your climbing in the rain to let your body moisture out! I am leary of getting a tear on it but have beaten though the bush on horse back with no issues so far. Can't wait to buy more of their stuff as I'm a huge fan....but it's pricey lol
Old 03-19-2017, 04:22 PM

Haha yup. It's all pricey, that's why it's hard for me to pull trigger on something. I will pay the extra money if I have to. Just want to make sure that price jump is worth it. Also if I can save money and get quality gear I will. It's great to hear other people's personal views that hunt in the same areas.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Breathable rain gear will eventually get saturated in my experience.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post
I went with the Kuiu Yukon jacket and pant combo. Stay super dry when it comes down. It also has great vents to open up whem your climbing in the rain to let your body moisture out! I am leary of getting a tear on it but have beaten though the bush on horse back with no issues so far. Can't wait to buy more of their stuff as I'm a huge fan....but it's pricey lol
I just bought that Yukon gear. I'm glad to hear that it works well. I have heard that it needs to be treated once an a while. Any experience with this?
One thing for sure it fits well and looks good enough to wear it when out on a date. 😀
Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I just bought that Yukon gear. I'm glad to hear that it works well. I have heard that it needs to be treated once an a while. Any experience with this?
One thing for sure it fits well and looks good enough to wear it when out on a date. 😀

No issues with it yet that warranted treatment. I'm sure over time it may need it. I've only had it two seasons though so we'll see. Just impressed with the quality of everything on it...zippers, cuffs, interior shells.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I have this setup as well. Its true that it will repel a light rain but make no mistake, its NOT raingear. I tried it out in a monsoon scouting weekend in May last year and yes I got wet. Yes it was an extreme case and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for light rain - just don't want to give the impression its full on rain gear.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 AM

Prairie wolf that must have been some sustain down pour to get wet through the Yukon. I agree that pit zips would be nice in the Teton but at 8 oz it gets the nod on a backpack hunt over the yukons 2 pounds.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM

First Lite, Stormtight. Its close to $1000 but you're dry.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 AM

Have a look at Arcteryx.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 AM

I'd say buy what you need, don't get $1000 rain gear if you live/hunt in a desert type area. I have the Sitka downpour and the first lite stormlight pants. I personally think the First lite pants/jacket are better. Both pack down fairly well, the first lite goes smaller than the Sitka, but it isn't quiet at all. The Sitka jacket DOESNT have pit zips either, which is a huge bummer. Together they fit into a large pullout from kifaru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 03:29 PM

I have an arcteryx alpha sv and it has never failed to keep the water off. It is heavier than some of the lightweight hunting or mountaineering jackets but i use this as an outer shell and have an uncomphagrey puffy for insulation. And they work great together. There are some things that arent ideal about it because it is made for mountaineering such as the cut of the pockets and the hood but overall I highly suggest this jacket.
If youre looking at something more specific to hunting the Kuiu Yukon jacket is a great choice. Once again its a little heavier but it works great as an outer layer in alot of conditions. the zippers dont seal as well as the arcteryx and its not quite as water proof but it breaths very well and keeps you dry
If you go with a breathable jacket make sure you wash it and recoat the DWR. It will last longer and kepp you dryer.
Ive had several other rain jackets but i have no use for a jacket I only use when its raining.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Onca Gear for me. Had it last season and the rain gear is awesome. Packs down to pretty much nothing, the pants have full zips which makes them pretty nice to get on and off. Love the pattern in the rocks as well. Happy Hunting!

Old 03-23-2017, 10:29 AM

The Yukon rain gear from Kuiu. Best you'll find in my opinion. It's durable and will keep you dry. Has multiple vents on it to to prevent you getting wet from the inside out.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Marmot Precip

I used to be a forest tech working anywhere between Prince George and Blue River BC, so rain was pretty much an everyday summer occurrence. I used just about every kind of rain gear imaginable, I ended up always going back to the Marmot Precip, its super light and packable, when you rip it you can duct tape it til you can get a new set and its cheap. I always found the better gore tex rain gear was just too thick and if you were always on the move a person just sweats too much in it and you end up soaked anyway. The second best rain gear I had was a North Face jacket that looked similar to gore tex but was just a little bit lighter of a material. All the new Hunting Gore tex and equivalent (yukon by kuiu and downpour by sitka) are super water proof but in my experience is that as long as you are moving and working it just does not breathe enough. Bearing in mind as a Forest Tech it was my job to continually walk and not really stop, so if you plan on moving in shorter hikes and doing lots of glassing the hunting rain gear is very very good. I have a very good friend in McBride that guides there still and he swears 100% by the arcteryx LEAF line. I would love to try the LEAF stuff but I'm personally not going to spend 500+ on a pair of pants and the same on a jacket because I know I WILL rip it sometime.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter220 View Post
The Yukon rain gear from Kuiu. Best you'll find in my opinion. It's durable and will keep you dry. Has multiple vents on it to to prevent you getting wet from the inside out.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybrand View Post
I used to be a forest tech working anywhere between Prince George and Blue River BC, so rain was pretty much an everyday summer occurrence. I used just about every kind of rain gear imaginable, I ended up always going back to the Marmot Precip, its super light and packable, when you rip it you can duct tape it til you can get a new set and its cheap. I always found the better gore tex rain gear was just too thick and if you were always on the move a person just sweats too much in it and you end up soaked anyway. The second best rain gear I had was a North Face jacket that looked similar to gore tex but was just a little bit lighter of a material. All the new Hunting Gore tex and equivalent (yukon by kuiu and downpour by sitka) are super water proof but in my experience is that as long as you are moving and working it just does not breathe enough. Bearing in mind as a Forest Tech it was my job to continually walk and not really stop, so if you plan on moving in shorter hikes and doing lots of glassing the hunting rain gear is very very good. I have a very good friend in McBride that guides there still and he swears 100% by the arcteryx LEAF line. I would love to try the LEAF stuff but I'm personally not going to spend 500+ on a pair of pants and the same on a jacket because I know I WILL rip it sometime.
Thanks for the info! This is really informative. I will look into everything you said. It's great hearing people who used multiple brands and put them to the test.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkmadness View Post
Care to elaborate on this?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellswrong View Post
I have an arcteryx alpha sv and it has never failed to keep the water off. It is heavier than some of the lightweight hunting or mountaineering jackets but i use this as an outer shell and have an uncomphagrey puffy for insulation. And they work great together. There are some things that arent ideal about it because it is made for mountaineering such as the cut of the pockets and the hood but overall I highly suggest this jacket.
If youre looking at something more specific to hunting the Kuiu Yukon jacket is a great choice. Once again its a little heavier but it works great as an outer layer in alot of conditions. the zippers dont seal as well as the arcteryx and its not quite as water proof but it breaths very well and keeps you dry
If you go with a breathable jacket make sure you wash it and recoat the DWR. It will last longer and kepp you dryer.
Ive had several other rain jackets but i have no use for a jacket I only use when its raining.

I have the Alpha and tho not perfect, its a pro guides jacket and it's as bomber as they come.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-24-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Prairie wolf that must have been some sustain down pour to get wet through the Yukon. I agree that pit zips would be nice in the Teton but at 8 oz it gets the nod on a backpack hunt over the yukons 2 pounds.
My mistake, the jacket I have is the Guide DCS jacket, not the Yukon. The Guide DCS jacket handles some moisture but isn't rain gear.

I don't have any experience with the Yukon but it appears to be Kuiu's heavyweight rain option. Probably a great jacket but my money would go to the Chugach due to combo of lower weight and durable.

Sorry for the confusion this may have caused.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:01 AM

I have the Chugach NX set and I'm very happy with it as backpack rain gear. I had an original Chugach jacket that leaked around the shoulders and Kuiu promptly replaced it for a new NX jacket - great customer service!

I wouldn't necessarily wear it if I expected rain for a week straight, but that's not why I bought it. Just like my puffy jacket it's always in my pack, and will save the day when things get wet. For the weight I'm very happy with the performance.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:02 AM

I also have the guide jacket, which is a very water resistant soft shell. Definitely not waterproof, but awesome on cool windy days. I would never backpack with it though, too heavy for me.