Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 12:44 AM

Question Trying my hand at Black Bears

I just bought my first bow. I am wanting to see if I can first find a blackie and then take it home, anyone tell me of some good WMUs west of Calgary that might be a good start? and any help would be much needed

-Cheers
Old 03-09-2017, 06:44 AM

Welcome to AO and the addiction that is bow hunting!

Since you just bought your first bow. I would highly recommend that you practice way more than a month before you take your bow out and attempt to harvest your game. Especially an animal like a bear that is more likely to turn around and try and maul you if you miss your mark and just wound it. Patience is your friend with bow hunting. Making an ethical kill shot should be your number one priority.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 AM

You have a canoe? Take a trip down the river in spring time, great way to locate yogi bear.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Default Jacks victoria

Thanks everyone for the replies. I totally understand what your saying minus the numb nuts who commented first.

I am already pretty handy with a bow. I was more asking where people might suggest. I'm not asking for cords I'm just asking what wmu's west of Calgary might be better to start scouting out.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Yeah, seems like there's always someone who will give a sarcastic response to try to turn people off, as if by sharing a tip they are giving away their secret little utopia and then the next time they go out there, bears will be on the endangered species list because somehow that innocent little tip they shared led every potential hunter to the conclusion that they will have better luck outside of city limits, and now the black bear population has been decimated overnight and "it's all because of the tip I shared with a new hunter on a forum made for sharing tips and experiences with other hunters!"
Old 03-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Maybe start a little North of Calgary. WMU 314 and North. Lots of leases that you can get permission/hunt on. Or 417/18 and North, crown land with lots of hunten opportunities. All still relatively close to Calgary.

You can check this site out for bear harvest numbers.
http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/HuntersHarvest.aspx
Old 03-09-2017, 03:44 PM

People are reluctant to give up much info and I don't necessarily blame them. But there are some helpful people on here for sure. The more north you can get the better. In areas close to Calgary, be very aware of grizzlies and make sure you read laws on baiting in the specific WMU you chose to hunt (don't think you can anywhere near calgary but further north, it's an option). My first year in Alberta hunting them, so I can't help much on location. I'm by no means an expert, but I've hunted em and can help answer questions. Just shoot a PM

Edit: new to bow hunting? Maybe bring a buddy with a rifle incase of charge or required follow up shot

Last edited by CF8889; 03-09-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Default Puebla school

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
People are reluctant to give up much info and I don't necessarily blame them. But there are some helpful people on here for sure. The more north you can get the better. In areas close to Calgary, be very aware of grizzlies and make sure you read laws on baiting in the specific WMU you chose to hunt (don't think you can anywhere near calgary but further north, it's an option). My first year in Alberta hunting them, so I can't help much on location. I'm by no means an expert, but I've hunted em and can help answer questions. Just shoot a PM

Edit: new to bow hunting? Maybe bring a buddy with a rifle incase of charge or required follow up shot
Hey I appreciate that! I've been reading lots on the bait in certain areas and whatnot also, I am going to be scooping out 314 and north of that to start. I'll give you a PM shortly

loving the amount of people willing to reach out. Lovin AO for sure!
Old 03-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red783 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I totally understand what your saying minus the numb nuts who commented first.

I am already pretty handy with a bow. I was more asking where people might suggest. I'm not asking for cords I'm just asking what wmu's west of Calgary might be better to start scouting out.

I am gonna predict you have a short life as an AO member.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:56 PM

I would also suggest becoming a part of the community and engaging in discussion before making a post looking for where to fish/hunt....especially as your first post.

If you engage with the community you will find the level of assistance increases exponentially.

LC
Old 03-09-2017, 06:02 PM

Also you mentioned getting a new bow but didn't mention that you are already "pretty handy" with one...whatever that means. We bow hunters have seen way too many folks buying a bow and heading out to maim and wound. Sorry if your feelings were hurt.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:14 PM

Lol, AO at its finest. It only took a mere 14 posts to provide a comprehensive sample of nearly everything irksome about this place. Head over to the general forum to complete the crash course

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-09-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Lol, AO at its finest. It only took a mere 14 posts to provide a comprehensive sample of nearly everything irksome about this place. Head over to the general forum to complete the crash course
No doubt! Just yesterday morning I was reading a thread before the mods got to it and cleaned it up (thanks guys, it was getting pretty nasty) made me wonder if I was reading something that was actually written by grown men? Or some immature adolescent boys! Made me ashamed to be associated with a forum where such foolishness was permitted, but thanks to the ADULTS running this site, I saw it's not permitted after all.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 PM

Myself and two other friends are also diving into black bear this spring. SOOO much to learn! But what weve found is people that will actually talk to you, listen. Bc there isnt very many that will.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Also you mentioned getting a new bow but didn't mention that you are already "pretty handy" with one...whatever that means. We bow hunters have seen way too many folks buying a bow and heading out to maim and wound. Sorry if your feelings were hurt.

...Really?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Beginner bear pointers

If you sort through the posts you can pull a lot of information from this forum. Some of the pointers I can share with you are to learn as much about the animal you are hunting as you can. My cousin just jumped into bow hunting, great Christmas present and straight to the black bear talk as it is the first season open for big game of the year. It can be very exciting! My advice to him was this. Start hunting bear with a rifle, spot and stalk, learn where they are, where they eat, what they eat, why do they prefer south facing slopes and river/creek beds in the spring. If you don't do this type of homework you will soon become one of the many very bored tree sitters out there. For many people it takes years to drop their first bruin. Take your time and learn. It also helps to hunt the areas where the bears are. The most enjoyable way to determine this is spend time in the bush, as much as you can. Go camping and hiking, fish the streams, rivers and lakes. You will see them. I have recently moved back to Calgary from up North and there are some very different factors at play in southern Alberta. The biggest factor is there are fewer bears on less crown land and more hunters. Take a look at the Harvest Reports and you will quickly see why so many bear hunters spend a lot of time up north/northwest of Edmonton. The other factor is there are more grizzly down south and let me tell you the last thing you want to see as you are sitting up in your tree is a grizzly come make camp at your bait barrel. Sucks! And all you have is a bow... Some good options for blacks around Calgary is private land and lease land. The private land is very hard to get permission but the leases seem to be easier. If you map the river valleys, take the forestry trunk road for example, you will find bears but mixed with grizz and limited baiting. Such a great area to hunt with a rifle on foot and quad. Rifle hunting this animal is no less exciting than with a bow and spot and stalk can be far more rewarding than baiting, especially when you are baiting a new, non-producing barrel of rotting scraps. I start bear hunting with a rifle at the first day of bear season. Don't listen to everybody saying that it is a waste of time to start hunting in April. I can think of no better way to spend my time than in the mountains or northern boreal camping and hiking with my rifle. We live in a beautiful place. Once you have found your area, you know there are bears there and you have enough time to put together everything you need for baiting to bow hunt. You need a lot of stuff! Some of these sites can take 1 to 3 years of trying so spread your chances with multiple bait sites and track their movement. When I first started I thought that a rotting barrel will have bears climbing all over it. Sometimes it takes a year or two for the bears in the area to feel comfortable with this new food source.

Well, that is enough from me! PM me if you want any more information and welcome to the greatest sport, pastime and lifestyle known to man from the beginning of time!
Old 03-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
People are reluctant to give up much info and I don't necessarily blame them.
plus it's that time of year when a black dodge dually shows up, talking about bear hunting.
Leading up to promoting his wanna be guiding operation.

And he likes to start off with being a newbee that just happens to have a lot of experience, right from the git go.

I think that's what people are responding to. Too many similarities, at the right time of year.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
plus it's that time of year when a black dodge dually shows up, talking about bear hunting.

And he likes to start off with being a newbee that just happens to have a lot of experience, right from the git go.

I think that's what people are responding to. Too many similarities, at the right time of year.
Now those were some fun posts to read... the old black dodge dually!!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Also you mentioned getting a new bow but didn't mention that you are already "pretty handy" with one...whatever that means. .

I'm decent with a rifle and just bought a new one. Do I confuse you as well?

I might question how much bow "hunting" this person has done based on his questions but I'm not questioning his abilities. He didn't say it was his "first" bow.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'm decent with a rifle and just bought a new one. Do I confuse you as well?

I might question how much bow "hunting" this person has done based on his questions but I'm not questioning his abilities. He didn't say it was his "first" bow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red783 View Post
I just bought my first bow. I am wanting to see if I can first find a blackie and then take it home, anyone tell me of some good WMUs west of Calgary that might be a good start? and any help would be much needed

-Cheers
Old 03-25-2017, 01:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Another hallmark of the black dodge poacher is, he always has someone, another low post count individual, to defend him when his story is doubted.

Remember fanny granny?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-25-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I haven't been on the site long enough to whitness this. But I'm intregued to say the least hahaha
Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
I stand corrected...mostly. . He said he's fairly handy with one so one must assume he's had some practice with.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:33 PM

Just ignore all the analysts on here...I find if you go out early before the poplars are budded or the grass is green the "real bears" meaning the boars and not the confused 2 yr Olds or sows with cubs will be around water because there is very little food available and the creeks might have beavers or suckers or some source of food. The boars are moving lots early on and tough to hunt. I don't bait but spend lots of time siting on big pipeline crossings early. They often have a raven or two following them for some reason.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=shayne;3502100] I start bear hunting with a rifle at the first day of bear season. Don't listen to everybody saying that it is a waste of time to start hunting in April. I can think of no better way to spend my time than in the mountains or northern boreal camping and hiking with my rifle. We live in a beautiful place.

X2

I was told by a few when I first started on this forum not to go out until Jun! I hunted last weekend and I'll hunt next weekend. Because a day in the field you didn't get anything is still better than a day at home "wishing" the bears out.

P.S. I didn't see any bear sign this weekend lol but the forest is already greening up. I think this year will be earlier than most.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Just ignore all the analysts on here...I find if you go out early before the poplars are budded or the grass is green the "real bears" meaning the boars and not the confused 2 yr Olds or sows with cubs will be around water because there is very little food available and the creeks might have beavers or suckers or some source of food. The boars are moving lots early on and tough to hunt. I don't bait but spend lots of time siting on big pipeline crossings early. They often have a raven or two following them for some reason.
I believe he is asking which WMU close to Calgary is good for bears.

Maybe a bit of analysis might be helpful.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
...Really?
Yes. Really.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Yes. Really.
Are you following them around in the field? Or do they come tell you they wounded and maimed animals?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
Are you following them around in the field? Or do they come tell you they wounded and maimed animals?
Of course finding an animal with an arrow sticking out of it is no proof at all is it?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Of course finding an animal with an arrow sticking out of it is no proof at all is it?
And you assume it's a new bow hunter? It couldn't possibly be as experienced bow hunter who made a mistake?

How many animals have you seen with arrows in them?

Tags
black bear, bow hunting, calgary area