Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2016, 11:14 AM

Default Feeding Dog before a hunt

Have a question in regards to feeding your hunting dog before a hunt. Typically I never give any food the morning of the hunt, and will feed her when we are back. I am headed to the Stettler festival tomorrow and will be leaving Calgary in the early hours. Would you feed your dog 4 hours before a hunt?
Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako300 View Post
Have a question in regards to feeding your hunting dog before a hunt. Typically I never give any food the morning of the hunt, and will feed her when we are back. I am headed to the Stettler festival tomorrow and will be leaving Calgary in the early hours. Would you feed your dog 4 hours before a hunt?
Yes, up to 2 hours before for my dog.

Then small midday meal (half normal meal size) during lunch break and a large dinner (size depending somewhat on mileage) after hunting.

Read it in the Retriever journal at some point (the 3x a day on busy hunting days).

Seems to work ok for my dog though he often gets a short period of the runs about an hour into an upland hunt (not for waterfowl though). I put this down to the canine equivalent of the "runner's trots".
Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 AM

I'm soft hearted so I never want my dog to be hungry. I feed and water him before I leave (and bring extra water) and I've never found him to be noticeably lethargic, etc. But then I leave food out for my mutt all the time and he eats when he wants to.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:27 AM

Default At least 2 hours before

Small amount (1/2 normal meal) and then make up for it at end of day with extra food depending on calorie burn . My concern is the stomach flipping on it s axis due to full stomach and running (gastric tortion) kills in under an hour.
I have also always believed a dogs senses were sharper when a bit hungry rather than full and content.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:16 PM

I am free feeding my dog, so he eats when he wants. He never eats in the morning, so he is hunting on an empty stomach. When we get home , he eats a full meal, and then again in the evening.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm soft hearted so I never want my dog to be hungry. I feed and water him before I leave (and bring extra water) and I've never found him to be noticeably lethargic, etc. But then I leave food out for my mutt all the time and he eats when he wants to.
It doesnt have really anything to do with the dog becoming lethargic. A domestic dog can have its stomachtwist up if working while full
Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
It doesnt have really anything to do with the dog becoming lethargic. A domestic dog can have its stomachtwist up if working while full
Ah, OK. Interesting.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
x2 You should never work your dog after a full meal as it could cause stomach distention. The same applies to feeding your dog immediately after strenuous exercise.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/my-dog-swollen-belly
Old 10-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
x2 You should never work your dog after a full meal as it could cause stomach distention. The same applies to feeding your dog immediately after strenuous exercise.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/my-dog-swollen-belly
I'm not sure what my dog does when I take him with me could be characterized as "work". LOL
Old 10-14-2016, 03:18 PM

I have experimented with a few different ways.

The best success I have had is feeding a big portion the night before and just tiny amounts on your breaks during the hunt the next day. Flipped gut is something I have never seen, just heard about. Feeding my dog a big portion before a hunt seems to me like playing Russian Roulette.

It matters. They go like marathon runners. If they are lacking in calories they will hit the wall just like you or I would - especially if you keep your dog lean - they don't have any fat to burn.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Banned

I know a fella that lost his dog because he fed him immediately after strenuous exercise. The dog was an older Lab which may have made him more susceptible to stomach distention. Lots of people aren't aware of the risks of feeding a dog before/after exercise.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I have experimented with a few different ways.

The best success I have had is feeding a big portion the night before and just tiny amounts on your breaks during the hunt the next day. Flipped gut is something I have never seen, just heard about. Feeding my dog a big portion before a hunt seems to me like playing Russian Roulette.

It matters. They go like marathon runners. If they are lacking in calories they will hit the wall just like you or I would - especially if you keep your dog lean - they don't have any fat to burn.
I think you bring up a good point... what is the portion size?

I did have a dog that developed gastric volvulus... but not my current hunting dog. That one (a "show" lab) got into his food bag and "self-regulated" his eating... meaning he stuffed himself to the gills and developed a volvulus. That was an expensive vet bill.

As for my current hunting lab and in reference to my earlier post... he is a tall (above breed standard) at 27" and weighs 85lbs. I normally feed him twice a day, 1 to 1.5cups of high protein kibble as measured by a scoop. I would consider this a bit frugal (actually about half of what the kibble bag recommends for an "active" dog).

On the (anticipated) heavy work days I feed him about a regular size breakie 1-1.5 cups. Given the amount of driving I do, it is at least 2 hours before hunting.

At lunch time I offer him some more, but he doesn't always eat. Seems to prefer a bit of my sandwich and a lot of water. Regular to plus size for dinner at home... 1.5-2cups.

I do think he can "bonk" if not fed enough... I can see him slow down a bit on some days if it has been a lot of work and he didn't eat his lunch. I don't have a GPS collar, but all the new iphones have that activity app that tells you how many steps you do. I'm sure the dog does at least twice as much as me, so I have a good idea on whether it was a hard day or not.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Default feeding dogs

This subject has its usual variation on advise. First you have to define what you mean by feeding? Small snack, full meal? Is the dog used to being feed in the evening? If so keep the dog on the same regime just increase the calorie intake. How active is the dog during your hunt as that will determine his/her calorie needs?
As a rule feeding a small portion in the morning is not going to harm the dog at all and will supply some fat for quick metabolic needs during the hunt. Next how long is the dog going to run or be active during the hunt and is he/she used to that kind of exercise? If not you may want to carry some sort of high fat content treat with you during the day to supply extra needed calories.....
Old 10-17-2016, 10:05 AM

I enjoyed a trapper legend Gene Walters story. He said he never fed his sled dogs in morning. " They would de-gas all day and he was on the sleigh directly behind them" Also they would not work as well when fed in morning.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:20 AM

What i ended up doing was feeding a cup around 3;30 am, started hunting 8 30 and hunted hard until 11 30. Gave her about 3/4 cup and some warm water around 12:15 and was back out in the field around 1:30. Worked out fairly well, she slowed down a bit in the afternoon but nothing significant...probably more to do with fatigue from the morning hunt. Overall we had a great time this weekend.