Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Default beyound baffled with these whitetail bucks

i got permission this year on a new piece of land on the red deer river. so i set up some trail cams in early june and got pictures of 6 or 7 bucks on it in a week and was so excited to see what they will look like come hunting season. so i set my cam there again about a week and a half ago and went and looked at it today and it had 534 pictures on it, i was stoked and couldnt wait to see them. i uploaded them and every single picture is of a couple different does and there fawns. this happen to me two years ago aswell in a different area. do the bucks change pattern though out the summer? or am i just scaring them out? everytime i spray down with sent killer and wear gloves and rubber boots, i come in only in the middle of the day and im there for 2 secounds then im gone. need some help, any ideas?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:35 PM

My guess, is that they are following the different food sources as they come in season, (farm fields)
I find that a lot of deer in that area bed high up on the banks at night so they can see predators, and move into the cover in the morning,
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce7272 View Post
i got permission this year on a new piece of land on the red deer river. so i set up some trail cams in early june and got pictures of 6 or 7 bucks on it in a week and was so excited to see what they will look like come hunting season. so i set my cam there again about a week and a half ago and went and looked at it today and it had 534 pictures on it, i was stoked and couldnt wait to see them. i uploaded them and every single picture is of a couple different does and there fawns. this happen to me two years ago aswell in a different area. do the bucks change pattern though out the summer? or am i just scaring them out? everytime i spray down with sent killer and wear gloves and rubber boots, i come in only in the middle of the day and im there for 2 secounds then im gone. need some help, any ideas?

As the bucks start to harden their antlers, the dominant animals will start to be more seclusive and start using their smaller obscure trails to their beds and feeding grounds. Bigger bucks use a whole different system of trails than the does and fawns, to define their territory. If you know where your bucks' beds are you can place your cams accordingly. Soon you can move your cams overlooking fresh scrapes and rubs. Then you will know who's who.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 PM

Don't give up hope, as long as the does stick around when the time is right the bucks will make their way back to take care of business
It is frustrating though I have had the same thing happen in a couple spots but come November the bucks started showing up again and not just the ones I saw early in aug and sep but new ones sniffing out the does.. Good luck ,have patience
Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 PM

Bucks tend to be in bachelor herds come fall time. Especially mulies. Whites do too.
This gives them chance to practice their sparring skills together. The most dominant buck or two of the area will not neccesarily participate in the sparring games until they are challenged during rut.

Things that make deer move:
The season. Some local deer populations will migrate to wintering grounds.
ripening crops
water source
insects(to a lesser degree)
Big predators like cougars or wolves.
Crops removed
too much Human activity

Both male and female will leave a territory, not just the bucks. If the does are there so are the bucks. Big bucks just use their own obscure trail systems.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 AM

I dont think your scaring them away. When I check my trail cameras its usually in my work boots with dirty work clothes on, definitely not scent killer LOL. I check mine once a week, around supper time.
I even had the inlaws ride there horses past my camera and still had a buck come in 2 hours later.
Move your cameras around, try and find them
Old 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM

As the antlers are in velvet and soft, they avoid the heavy dense brush, As they harden and rub them they tend to go back into hiding in the heavy brush until the rut brings them back out.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 AM

Thanks for the posts it helps a lot, I'm gonna go move my cameras around. I checked my other camera today in a different side of the land and found a perfect 5x5 only on picture though.