Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Default Need opinions on bow

Im a rifle hunter looking to start off bow hunting this year im wondering whats a good starter bow nothing to expensive but something that will get the job done i will be heading to bass pro this weekend if anyone knows of any deals there thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Don't waste your time at bass pro. If you want Archery gear, head to an archery shop.Head over to Jimbow's off Edmonton trail, he'll explain and set you up with everything you need. Since your new to bowhunting, I recommend either a starter set up , with everything on it , or you can get som egreat deals on some good used set ups. Get what fits your hand, and your pocket book, upgrade when you know your hooked.Either way welcome to the addiction...good luck.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 PM

welcome to bowhunting ,
but personally if I were you , I would first set a budget as to what you want to spend on a bow !! Next thing I would definately go to a an archery shop in Calgary , wheather it be the Calagary Archery Centre or Jimbows and shoot every bow you can in your price range !! This way you are getting what fits you best and have the proper knowledge of the pro shop to set your bow up properly and not just half A&&..

BM
Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

x million
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Default bow

Yep.......what all the above said!!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 AM

If you are only going to Bass Pro I suggest looking at the Diamond Stud. A friend of mine bought his bow there. Got a great package deal. I checked the bow out myself and thought it was a great bow. I liked the idea that you can adjust the draw length if needed. A mistake lots of first time buyers make is getting a bow with the wrong draw lenght. If I remember right it was out the door for about $750. A short drive further and there is two great bow shops with lots of choices.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM

I'll echo what the other posters said. Spend your time and money at a quality archery centre like the CAC or Jimbows and get a bow that fits you right and you can set up properly.

You can still buy a good starter bow at either place, the difference will be in the quality of service and the attention to detail such as draw length, setup, tuning, etc.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I'll echo what the other posters said. Spend your time and money at a quality archery centre like the CAC or Jimbows and get a bow that fits you right and you can set up properly.

You can still buy a good starter bow at either place, the difference will be in the quality of service and the attention to detail such as draw length, setup, tuning, etc.
What is your price range??

Jimbow or CAC would be the way to go if they have something in your price range. You may be able to do it cheaper at Bass Pro but the service there may leave something to be desired. Personally I prefer CAC mostly because of location and size of range, the service at CAC has been great for me. I bought a Diamond Stud there about a month ago and LOVE it!!
I recently helped my neighbour buy a bow, he was on a very tight bugdet, he bought the bow (a Martin that was on sale for $260) and a couple things at Wholesale. He bought an accesory pkg at Bass Pro (sight, rest, sling, stabilizer) for $130. Took the bow back to Wholesale and they put on a peep and d-loop and the stuff he bought at Bass Pro too! I was pretty impressed with the service we had at Wholesale.

Took the bow to the Archery Center to shoot, needed the draw length adjusted and they changed out the modules twice to get it right, even spent some time on the line with him to get his form on track!! Talk about awesome service!!

If your heart is set on Bass Pro look to see if they have a Rock 2.0 pkg for them money it would be tough to beat I think.

Go to all the shops ask lots of questions, fondle lots of bows find what feels right and shoot a few bows, there is a good chance you will know the right bow when you shoot it.

Good luck and like others have said, "Welcome to your new addiction"

Edit: If you are new to bows look at the hunters friend website there is a lot of great info on bows there

Last edited by FallAirFever; 05-05-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Banned

Dido to all of the above. If you think all of them other shops are more expensive than bass pro, price out complete set up with arrows sights good quality arrow rest and release. And I bet you get better quality for the same price if not better price from the small shops and great service. Not saying BPS has poor quality items but there service is lacking. I bought my bow from there and went to a smaller shop to shoot at there lanes. I thought I got a great deal until I looked what they had to offer and felt like I was ripped off and a little guilty that I didn't try the little guy first. It would have saved me allot of money. I had to upgrade my arrow rest, and Arrows because they were wrong for my application. And now I am looking at new sights. I bought a bear Charge RTS and love it. But I hated the Whisker Biscuit. Sights are great but only 3 pin. I paid $499 for the hole package. Arrows cost me $55 half dozen of easton power flights, and $44 for a Jim Fletcher Release. And case at $65. So for a about $665 I got started. Some say Bear Archery is poor quality and I can't dispute that. But it is nice and forgiving a little louder but I haven't put silencer on it yet. But It shoots great.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for all the information guys the only reason im looking as bass pro is i have a 200$ gift card and ill spend around 400 cash and have 600$ in total for a package maybe spend a little more any suggestions on a good brand i checked out my local arch place but had nothing under 700$ so im going to go down to bps and see what they have i thank you all for the info just wondering what are some must haves on a bow
Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Pierson, Mission by Matthews,I love my Bear. Were are you from?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM

My first suggestion would be to go to a archery shop close by, have them measure your draw length, this may narrow down you selection. If Bass Pro is a must Look at the Diamond Rock package, PSE Stinger or a Bear Archery package, also the last time I was at Bass Pro they had some Red Head bows on clearance you may want to look at. Dont get too hung-up on brand name find a bow that fits you and feels good in your hand. A grip that feels good in your hand is very important! Your 600-700 price range is not impossible, but tough.
You will need:
A bow, arrow rest, sight, wrist sling, arrows, a release, peep sight and a case for all of it.

Maybe consider using your Bass Cards for something other than a bow so you can buy a bow from a shop close to where you live. Sherwood Pk archery, Trophy book (in Spruce Grove) and Pipestone creek archery south of edmonton near millet is another good one. Other than that I was pretty impressed with the service my buddy recieved at Wholesale, so they may be worth a look too.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 PM

If you are set on Bass pro than I would look at either the Diamond or the Ross bows. I have a Diamond Marquise and couldn't be happier with it. But I would definitely go to a local archery shop and at least get fitter for a bow if anything. I don't know any of the archery staff at bass pro but I doubt they will be as helpful in terms of knowledge as any of the staff members at Jimbows or CAC.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Hey all - does anyone know if Bass Pro also sells Quest bows? I was asking for information on the G5 Facebook page, and someone there told me that Bass Pro sells them. I am heading there tomorrow evening, and am hoping to get my hands on a Primal to demo it.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Default Holupchys bow

400-700.. That's pretty well the price range I wound up buying my first "more-serious" hunting bow for... was a PSE Brute. PSE's are excellent bows to start with, easy as cake to tune yourself (factory sighting notches standard) the bows shoot well AND kill animals just as dead as the more expensive "high-end bows"
My present bow is now however, a hoyt alphamax. I absolutely love it and would recommend one to anyone very serious about bow-hunting.. BUT, only as you spend more time shooting and getting the feel for things will you find yourself really understanding exactly why the "higher-end" bows like the alphamax's, drenalins etc etc... are priced where they are, as well as why shooters make the upgrade over-time, to them.
For now, in my opinion.. take a look at a Brute at Bass Pro, use your own judgement, and of coarse buy what you like.. buy what you feel fits you AND most importantly a bow YOU want. Time teaches reasoning to upgrade, you will understand LATER why those expensive bows are expensive, bragged about and why (in time) you too may have one hangin' on your rack!
Goodluck mr. Holupchy,
happy huntin'
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 AM

The guys here are 100% correct,Go to the archery shops for the bow and then if you want you can still spend the 200$ on arrows or accesseries at bass pro.But it is very important to get the proper setup and fit at the archery pro shopsThis can make the difference between a great archery expierience or giving up after afew weeks of shooting poorly matched equipment.Good luck.