Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 12:04 PM

Default For those who take fishing holidays

So waiting for my visa so I can move to Australia and wanting to start a fishing boat rental company there. What I would like to know is what kind of price would you guys pay. There are guide companies and there are basic bear bones tinnies and kayaks that you can rent. I’m wanting to to have kayaks with peddles and sonar and rod holders and tinnies with gas motor and gps spot lock electric bow mount motor with sonar and casting deck. Basically the fisherman’s dream set ups for kayaks, motor boats and maybe SUP boards. What I’m wondering is what kind of price difference would you pay for the fishing extras. Plain kayaks rent for $15-20 and hr and tinnies for $250 per day. Guides are $4-600.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:17 PM

Costs are so region based its hard to say. I pay like 300 dollars for 6 hours in mexico and if i was in japan i would pay like 1000 to 1500. I think i paid around 800 at bonchovy fishing charters in Vancouver.

Depending on how phenomenal the fishing and the variety and sizes of the fish. will make me decide if its worth it. I dont think anyone here can tell you howmuch to charge. Best bet is to look at other companies and see what they offer within the region,

I also HATE charters that have trash reels and ones that dont offer left hand reel options, so equipment is important to me. My mexico fishing trip isnt as fun when i have to reel in a mahi mahi and my left hand cant hold the rod and its losing strength.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-24-2020, 12:20 PM

The quality of the fishing is a factor to me. Quality of the gear is another factor. Honestly I would google what others are charging for the service in Australia. If I was going to be looking for that kind of service I shop around and if you are not at least comparable to the competition I won’t even enquire

That said I have rented boats for $50-$200 a day in the past. I have only used a guide once for saltwater it was 2k for our group
Old 01-24-2020, 02:53 PM

Ya I have checked the prices for the area. Bear bones boat for $250 and guide ranges a lot. $4-600 per day per person if it’s 2 people. Some are a lot more expensive. There is nothing in between for fisherman that know a bit more about gear and like quality but want to be self guided which is what I want to offer All the boat gadgets and good quality gear and for kayak fisherman all the kayak fishing gadgets. If the quality of fishing is good then what price would you be willing to pay. Also would do boat pickup and delivery to select launches nearby. All the companies that offer that is an extra $50. Obviously there is a lot more that plays into it and a lot more research to be done but just wanted to see if there are many people that find value in the extras and what it’s roughly worth if you’re gonna rent a boat on vacation
Old 01-24-2020, 03:27 PM

To be honest with you quality gear I definitely appreciate but i have never rented a boat and charter based on the gear they offered. I just hopped on and just assumed that I get what I get and just fish.

You're probably not gonna get me as a customer if you tell me you have a shimano twin power or shimano stella SW reels for all your rental equipment.

It all comes down to how much are you gonna charge me to get me on the water where the fish are. give me a 50 dollar reel or a 800 dollar reel i'm still gonna bring that fish on the boat. Again I would just appreciate the better equipment. I dont want to pay more.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-24-2020, 03:51 PM

The problem asking on this forum is most of your clients are not going to be Canadians and when it comes to business expectations you will find cultural differences on what they expect service wise. You will just need to learn how to read people and adjust the first few years.

For 10years I operated a business that dealt with a lot of tourists and did play fishing guide for a few seasons. Reasonable quality gear is usually expected and most won’t pay more for it. Being honest, providing good service, and having a personality that makes people remember you in a positive manner is the trick. If you have a blah personality and great service you will still do ok but if you can leave an impression where people like you they are more likely to come back.

The style of business you are looking into personality is a huge factor be ready to put on a show

What species will you be targeting?

Good luck
Old 01-24-2020, 08:12 PM

Thanks smoky buck. I know Canadians won’t be my main target but I’m just feeling out all the different kind of people I might encounter. I’ve spent quite a bit of time down there so know the culture and people as well. Definitely the hardest part will be the switch in job/personality than I do now but pretty excited to give it a go.
I will be targeting all inshore species for now until I figure out if it’s doing well and I can invest in offshore as that is a lot more money. It’s all rental stuff though so I won’t be guiding just giving people boats and they can do their own thing.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:52 AM

4 suggestions on how to demand top dollar amongst your competition:

1) Safety. We know how to safely operate our boats, but many customers don't. Every time a non-guided boat goes out, there should be a respectful, thorough orientation on safety - and what to do if the situation goes south. Even with a guide, there should be a safety orientation before the kayak/boat leaves dock - similar to what the airlines do before every flight. Don't talk 'down' to your clients, but don't assume that know anything about your equipment either.

2) maintenance on the equipment is more important than the 'quality' or cost. When I'm looking at chartering, I'm checking for rusty hooks, salt-encrusted reels, old, tired knots. A well maintained Shimano moocher with fresh line and new terminal tackle wins hands-down over a crusty Islander. I don't want to lose my 'fish of a life-time' or any fish I've paid a lot to hook - over poorly maintained equipment. I'm looking for a boat that's organized and clear of garbage and clutter, where the ocean is respected with a well maintained engine, and no litter is permitted 'over-board' - including cigarette butts. For rentals & guided.

3) Be professional. Pay attention to details in how you're percieved- for example, you're anticipating renting 'PEDAL' kayaks - not 'PEDDLE' kayaks. Leave the 'old sea-salt buddy' routine behind - dress well, study people and speak well, be on the dock, ready to go, 1/2 hour before your client is scheduled to arrive. Nothing is more frustrating for a client, eagerly anticipating a trip that he/she's paid good $$ for, than cooling your heels in uncertainty waiting, while the sun climbs in the sky. This applies just as much to boat rentals, as guided.

4) Google 'Zoffinger' and have a look at his business model. He ditched New York City to start a kayak/canoe rental (with a strong fishing element) in Florida, and is successfully living his dream. He outfits people in his kayaks, gives them some advice on the current fishing, and points them in the right direction.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
4 suggestions on how to demand top dollar amongst your competition:

1) Safety. We know how to safely operate our boats, but many customers don't. Every time a non-guided boat goes out, there should be a respectful, thorough orientation on safety - and what to do if the situation goes south. Even with a guide, there should be a safety orientation before the kayak/boat leaves dock - similar to what the airlines do before every flight. Don't talk 'down' to your clients, but don't assume that know anything about your equipment either.

2) maintenance on the equipment is more important than the 'quality' or cost. When I'm looking at chartering, I'm checking for rusty hooks, salt-encrusted reels, old, tired knots. A well maintained Shimano moocher with fresh line and new terminal tackle wins hands-down over a crusty Islander. I don't want to lose my 'fish of a life-time' or any fish I've paid a lot to hook - over poorly maintained equipment. I'm looking for a boat that's organized and clear of garbage and clutter, where the ocean is respected with a well maintained engine, and no litter is permitted 'over-board' - including cigarette butts. For rentals & guided.

3) Be professional. Pay attention to details in how you're percieved- for example, you're anticipating renting 'PEDAL' kayaks - not 'PEDDLE' kayaks. Leave the 'old sea-salt buddy' routine behind - dress well, study people and speak well, be on the dock, ready to go, 1/2 hour before your client is scheduled to arrive. Nothing is more frustrating for a client, eagerly anticipating a trip that he/she's paid good $$ for, than cooling your heels in uncertainty waiting, while the sun climbs in the sky. This applies just as much to boat rentals, as guided.

4) Google 'Zoffinger' and have a look at his business model. He ditched New York City to start a kayak/canoe rental (with a strong fishing element) in Florida, and is successfully living his dream. He outfits people in his kayaks, gives them some advice on the current fishing, and points them in the right direction.
Thanks. That is all super helpful. I will definitely check him out
Old 01-26-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Thanks. That is all super helpful. I will definitely check him out
You're off to a good start IDS !

Most guys asking for help & advice on this forum don't even acknowledge the efforts at detailed, well thought out responses from other members.

Your simple 'thanks' response speaks positively to your success!