Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
All the ones I caught ranged from 7.5 inch to 9.5 inch.
We were out today and caught a pile of perch. After an accurate measurement they all ranged between 6 and 8.25 inches. Including a tagged 8 incher. I sure haven't seen an average of 7.5 to 9.5.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekerp View Post
We were out today and caught a pile of perch. After an accurate measurement they all ranged between 6 and 8.25 inches. Including a tagged 8 incher. I sure haven't seen an average of 7.5 to 9.5.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Keep your tag for a draw prize at the perch fishing derby.

I just got in. Caught a massive pile of perch from 6 to 9.5 inches measure with a tape. The majority were 8 inches or bigger.

A crazy pile of perch. I think I ended up with over 100. Most caught in the NE bay side of the center path.

You can see my tracks. First holes did okay. Further holes hit the jackpot.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-20-2020, 10:27 PM

if there is a derby and you need a sidekick give me a shout
Old 01-21-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku88 View Post
if there is a derby and you need a sidekick give me a shout
Will do. Each household is allowed two guests. Just need to see who the kids want to bring. Otherwise when can you fish. Happy to get you into a bucket of perch to eat.

Saw online perch goes for $25/lb filleted with skin on. Buddy cleaned almost 5 lbs yesterday.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-21-2020, 02:28 PM

i am on ei at the moment so lots of time huan 4037080188
Old 01-21-2020, 02:43 PM

Hi,

I'd be interested in helping out in the derby. If anyone is willing to take me on.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4hugh View Post
Hi,

I'd be interested in helping out in the derby. If anyone is willing to take me on.

Thanks!
Will get you out some time soon. My guest spots are full for the derby with kids friends.

Today’s fishing was more challenging. Needed to drill a bunch of holes to find some willing perch. Still finished the day off with 6 perch of which 4 were 8 inch and 2 were 9 inch.

I say they look like monsters compare to the past 5 inches days.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Will get you out some time soon. My guest spots are full for the derby with kids friends.

Today’s fishing was more challenging. Needed to drill a bunch of holes to find some willing perch. Still finished the day off with 6 perch of which 4 were 8 inch and 2 were 9 inch.

Looking forward to it.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Sundance I think it has to do with nice weather no fish or not as eager bites. but if we just had that cold snap a warm trend coming they bite at anything. happy to hear your doing so much fishing. I thought I'm the only guy smiling alot when fishing
Old 01-25-2020, 07:51 PM

Crazy day.

Sunny and warm.

Perch were hardly biting. Not sure what was up...

Few days ago. Caught a hundred. Today. 20.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Funny how the fishing success does vary from day to day. One day trout won’t stay off the hook. Next day perch bite like crazy. Then next day...neither bite well.

Yesterday the perch were biting one after another. Maggots seemed to be the ticket versus normally perch eyeballs work the best.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:40 PM

Default sundancer

was at princess auto today picked up 2 ultra light Celcius blizzard rod for $11 each perfect for those perch your picking off. feels nice should be fun to tryout. little perch cant laugh at my medium action rod anymore
Old 02-17-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
was at princess auto today picked up 2 ultra light Celcius blizzard rod for $11 each perfect for those perch your picking off. feels nice should be fun to tryout. little perch cant laugh at my medium action rod anymore
You need the ultralight spring bobbers like what is on the end of a frabill pan fish popper rod combo.

Even an ultralight rod won’t pick up 70% of perch bites.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
You need the ultralight spring bobbers like what is on the end of a frabill pan fish popper rod combo.

Even an ultralight rod won’t pick up 70% of perch bites.
I can attest to that.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 PM

Default sundancer

sounds like sundancer is saying competition time. the guy who catches least amount of perch has to go buy hot chocolate at timmys plus who catch first fish gets a bonus donut
Old 02-18-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
sounds like sundancer is saying competition time. the guy who catches least amount of perch has to go buy hot chocolate at timmys plus who catch first fish gets a bonus donut
I love it. Competition is fun.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:55 PM

Today was definitely a trout bite day. At times I couldn't even get my hook to the bottom to even try for perch, when I did get down there they really didn't want to move more than a couple inches up.
I attached a couple pics, average size for perch was 8-8.5 inches and trout 18-20 inches.
A great fishery to have a few blocks from home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200218_143654.jpg (25.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 20200218_143548.jpg (18.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 20200218_143450.jpg (17.4 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 20200218_143721.jpg (22.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Today was definitely a trout bite day. At times I couldn't even get my hook to the bottom to even try for perch, when I did get down there they really didn't want to move more than a couple inches up.
I attached a couple pics, average size for perch was 8-8.5 inches and trout 18-20 inches.
Nice fish. Since you are out fishing a lot also, can you please pass on to others that the trout survive best if not out of the water for more than 30 seconds. My rule of thumb is I take a breath and if I need to breathe, so do the trout. While they swim away, often they die from anoxia.

I saw a couple guys a few weeks ago pull their trout out of the hole onto the ice (freezing cold air freezes gills and can also cause death), then look for a camera. Get set up, hold up said trout and drop a couple times, snap a couple pics and then drop head first down the hole. Trout was out of the water for over two minutes and will surely die.

Education is key to keeping the trout fishing catch rates healthy. The more we all help each other the better.

My biggest problem is fishing small hooks and light line and catching perch then hook a big rainbow. Gotta hand line them so carefully once near the hole.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Nice fish dude. Agree with you guys camera should be ready. Less handling is better
Old 02-19-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
When do you want this competition let me know. Huan 4037080188
Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
sundancer are there any big rainbows left in there or did people take them all. i remember landing a 27 incher out of there hope she is still terrorizing the perch
Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
sundancer are there any big rainbows left in there or did people take them all. i remember landing a 27 incher out of there hope she is still terrorizing the perch
yes . I landed a few yesterday . lost more as I was light lining for perch
Old 02-21-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
sounds like a good trip.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
that's awesome. showmanship light line are best never know one wrong it's gone. any pictures
Old 03-05-2020, 05:21 PM

I have pics but a pain for me here . Was out again today . A lot slower but iced and released one decent trout between us . 7 perch 1 decent full of eggs
Old 03-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I have pics but a pain for me here . Was out again today . A lot slower but iced and released one decent trout between us . 7 perch 1 decent full of eggs
sounds like a good supper was caught
Old 03-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
what bait or lures are you guy using? heard you cant use minnows. what about worm is that classified as live bait? shrimp catch perch. really need someone to show me how its done
Old 03-16-2020, 12:57 PM

Wonder when tigers will become available

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 03-16-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Wonder when tigers will become available
Right now.
You just need a bucket.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-28-2020, 10:35 AM

Lake ice is gone as of today. Pretty late. Now just need the parks and recreation facilities to be allowed to open. Till then all community access gates are closed on all lake communities.