Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 10:47 PM

Default Dore or Besnard Lake - NW Sask

Doing a trip with extended family in early July to Lac la Plonge and (hopefully) Pinehouse Lake in NW Sask. Would like to spend a few extra days in the region fishing with just the wife, so looking at either Dore or Pinehouse Lakes. Will be targeting pike and walleye, and care more about numbers than size. Any suggestions on which is a better option at that time of year?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Can't go wrong with Besnard lake....full of walleye, pike.....and I mean some real gooders just navigate the lake on the cautious side.

Collins camps or there is a campground too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 AM

Hard to go wrong with Dory as well, though it was a tough summer last year, first one I noticed in about 10-12 years.

Lac La Plonge is on my todo list , please let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:00 AM

Never been to Dore but Besnard is pretty awesome.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 PM

Dore is getting deader by the year
Old 01-22-2020, 12:53 PM

Why is Dore slowing down?
Old 01-22-2020, 01:00 PM

Thanks for comments so far. Keep 'em coming.

Also interested to know what people mean by Dore slowing down. Is it for a particular species? I assume people are referring to numbers declining, but how about size?
Old 01-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Both
Old 01-22-2020, 07:22 PM

I have fished Besnard in June for the last 6 years and always catch lots of walleye mostly around 2 lbs and the odd pike up to 10lbs. We stay at Collins camp and they make everyone feel special. The lake is in the Canadian shield and is covered with islands and rock formations , which is beautiful but you have to watch for rocks in the lake.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:20 AM

Dore has had more commercial pressure the last couple of years. I forget how long ago exactly they closed Smith Bay to all fishing (call it 12ish) but the lead up to that there was some tough fishing (one fish in a week of vacation sort of tough). But along with the rule change the lake level rose probably 2 or 3 feet , that year fishing jumped significantly and stayed pretty level.

For me last year was one of the toughest in a long time now I generally don't bother with walleye but it stands to reason the population is dropping. about the same time period they stopped stocking walleye so part of the decline (if there is one) is at least partly due to those stocked fish hitting end of life.

During last years vacation (end of July so not peak fishing) we put 3 into the boat over 40 a few more 36-40., but we had to put in more time and use about every trick in the book. It was not the year you could toss a 5 o' diamonds around any old weed bed and get you limit in an hour.

Dore is a big lake and you often need to do large runs to find the fish , if you are stuck in south bay or close to the other resorts you are not getting to the best fishing the lake has to offer.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Its been a couple of years since my last trip to Dore. We stayed at Tower Lodge.

Stupid easy fishing but you needed a bigger boat with alot of fuel to get to the good areas (T Bay).

When its on, it on with 26 " ++++ walleye and some very good pike.

There is a channel with about 14 FOW up on the NE Corner that we stumbled upon.

One of the few places where I have seen whole schools of minnows jumping out of the water like herring on the coast because of the walleye and pike chasing them.

After a few hours, we just got tired of fighting fish and decided to try another spot. The next spot was a different tactic, and even though a few miles away, the fishing was just as good.

We did burn almost all of our fuel by the time we made it back though, which was a little stressful on such a big lake.

These fish love the biggest Chrome and Blue Rattle Traps that you can buy, so stock up before heading out there, take lots of extra gas, and enough water and food for the boat in case it blows up and you cannot make it back at night.

Drewski
Old 01-23-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Its been a couple of years since my last trip to Dore. We stayed at Tower Lodge.

Stupid easy fishing but you needed a bigger boat with alot of fuel to get to the good areas (T Bay).

When its on, it on with 26 " ++++ walleye and some very good pike.

There is a channel with about 14 FOW up on the NE Corner that we stumbled upon.

One of the few places where I have seen whole schools of minnows jumping out of the water like herring on the coast because of the walleye and pike chasing them.

After a few hours, we just got tired of fighting fish and decided to try another spot. The next spot was a different tactic, and even though a few miles away, the fishing was just as good.

We did burn almost all of our fuel by the time we made it back though, which was a little stressful on such a big lake.

These fish love the biggest Chrome and Blue Rattle Traps that you can buy, so stock up before heading out there, take lots of extra gas, and enough water and food for the boat in case it blows up and you cannot make it back at night.

Drewski
How was the fishing around tower lodge itself? Like in the bay or around the point to the south west? I have an 18 foot Lund with a 115HP, but if it’s real windy, I won’t be venturing to T-Bay. Going for the first time June 2nd.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:09 PM

If you are hitting Laplonge then its only natural to hit Pinehouse. Its a way better walleye fishery anyways. As well you wont be backtracking a 100 miles. Talk to Dan at the resort at Laplonge and he will have tips for Pinehouse as well. Also if you are looking for some out of the way spots pm me.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:04 PM

In the bay early june on the south side was really good when we could not get out into the main lake. About 30 FOW and bottom bouncers with big Raps worked well, as well as the big rattle traps.

T Bay is a long run, but pretty incredible until the weeds fill it to the top.

Drewski
Old 01-23-2020, 08:57 PM

Pine house was great for us. Although I wont go to kamkota lodge anymore, way to expensive to launch and camp. It's the only place I have fished on the lake though.

Noth of there is Gordon lake. Out in the big water there is a unbelievable lake trout hole I found. Nonstop action. Biggest out of there was 18lb. Only fought 5 lb pike out of there though.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
Doing a trip with extended family in early July to Lac la Plonge and (hopefully) Pinehouse Lake in NW Sask. Would like to spend a few extra days in the region fishing with just the wife, so looking at either Dore or Pinehouse Lakes. Will be targeting pike and walleye, and care more about numbers than size. Any suggestions on which is a better option at that time of year?

Thanks in advance.
If you are hitting La Plonge, do the beaver river in Beauval. there is a good boat launch in town and Dan will let you know where to find the fish. Also if you get blown off La Plonge try little Amyott lake for walleye. only a 15 min drive from La Plonge
Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 AM

I just got back from la plonge....definitely going back this summer. Besnard is on my to do list.....buffalo narrows has some great fishing as well.
As for Dore....I'll agree with what's been posted already....if you get on the fish it's an incredible fishery....BUT....it has been tougher and tougher to do that. I was there for 5 days over August long....not prime time and the weather kept us close to home just about every day....but in 5 days we we landed like 12 fish and we had to work for those. A close friend of mine runs michel point campground there and the last couple years have been tough on that lake.
But yeah....big silver and blue baits (deep dive cranks and rattle raps....the 8" savage blue silver paddle tail pike caught almost every pike) and bottom bouncers for the walleye. Minnows seem useless on that lake for whatever reason.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Besnard has a million islands on it..next time I am going to fill the boat full of gear venture out to a island and set up camp for a week or two...the lake is simply amazing and when the weather gets stupid and windy you can always find the leeward side of a island to hunker down and still fish.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-24-2020, 03:23 PM

Haven't been to Dore myself but have friends that have said the same as to the fishing dying off the last few years.

Have gone to Besnard many times and stayed at Besnard Lake Lodge and has always been a good time. We always take a guide, lots of rocks hidden and the shore lunches are hard to beat.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:53 PM

Wow - thanks to all for the helpful comments. Leaning toward Besnard if we can make the timing work. Would love to have PM suggestions of places to start if anyone is willing to share.
Will report back on the entire trip.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:12 PM

Besnard lake @ Collins camps is where it is at.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Go to Besnard. On the way fish Montreal for pike