Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Zeiss Conquest or VX-3 for 338 WM

I am purchasing a Sako 85 338 WM and am trying to decide whether to buy a Leupold VX-3 with the B&C reticle or something from the Zeiss Conquest series. Perhaps something from the Rapid Z series as I prefer to have some sort of bullet drop compensator. All thoughts and opinions welcomed.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I am purchasing a Sako 85 338 WM and am trying to decide whether to buy a Leupold VX-3 with the B&C reticle or something from the Zeiss Conquest series. Perhaps something from the Rapid Z series as I prefer to have some sort of bullet drop compensator. All thoughts and opinions welcomed.
Zeiss Because its got better Glass!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 PM

I was always partial to leupold, but I tried a zeiss conquest with the rapid z reticle this year and I'm impressed with the clarity. Pending any problems I don't think I'll go back.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:27 PM

The Rapid Z 600 would be perfect.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:35 PM

Default elm

The Leupold may have beter eye relief. I own a 338wm on a Tikka 658.I use Leupold for that reason,They have a bit of recoil to consider. Both are awsome optics though.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 PM

If your into the ballistic drop compensator reticle's the rapid z is better than the b and c on the leopold. I have a vx-3 and love it. Zeiss has very nice glass but i still went with leopold for the turrets. Ether will be nice. good luck.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:25 PM

I would get the leupold for 2 reasons the price and the warranty is right here in Alberta
Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Zeiss all the way.Put one on my .257 accumark very happy with it. I went with the Z 800 and when you use the proper reticle for that distance it is right on. Use the Zeiss reticle program on their website it figures everything out for you. Yup, the glass clarity is awesome.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Go to a store and take them outside put'em side buy side and take it from there!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Most don't consider the338wm to be an 600-800yd rifle . Not that it isn't capable of it but you may as well use a mortar.If you don't intend to shoot much beyond 300yds you don't need a ballistic reticle.Just sight in 3" high @ 100yds and hold dead on out to 275yds.(depending on load)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:28 AM

I'm actually in the market for a scope for my 338wm as well.

I like the idea of the BDC reticle but I find the B&C and Rapid-Z too "busy".

I'm actually pretty partial to the Leupold LR duplex but it's only available on the VX-II's. You might be able to get it installed on a VX-III at Korths.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mikee View Post
I'm actually in the market for a scope for my 338wm as well.

I like the idea of the BDC reticle but I find the B&C and Rapid-Z too "busy".

I'm actually pretty partial to the Leupold LR duplex but it's only available on the VX-II's. You might be able to get it installed on a VX-III at Korths.
The ballistic reticles can seem a bit busy at first but you get used to them very quickly and then it seems strange to shoot without one. One thing with balistic reticles though is that's it's imperative that you can actually focus the reticle to your eye.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM

In my continuing research, it does seem as though the Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z does have an edge in clarity, but the new VX-3 (not VXIII) really is quite close to the Zeiss. Just read an article by Chuck Hawks who raved about the VX-3.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_VX-3_2-8x36.htm

I have had the VXIII 2.5-8X36 before on a previous 338 WM and I may just buy one again for this Sako rifle, but with the Boone & Crockett reticle. I realize a 338 WM is not a long range calibre, but if conditions are right, it is capable of successful/ethical shots in excess of 400 yards....and although the B&C reticle may not be as sophisticated as the Rapid Z, it still definitely can't hurt. Especially since I will use it in conjunction with my Leica 1200 Range Finder. I also just love the look of the Leupold......it is still my favorite looking scope.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM

I have had the VXIII 2.5-8X36 before on a previous 338 WM and I may just buy one again for this Sako rifle, but with the Boone & Crockett reticle. I realize a 338 WM is not a long range calibre, but if conditions are right, it is capable of successful/ethical shots in excess of 400 yards....and although the B&C reticle may not be as sophisticated as the Rapid Z, it still definitely can't hurt. Especially since I will use it in conjunction with my Leica 1200 Range Finder. I also just love the look of the Leupold......it is still my favorite looking scope.

Thanks for the replies.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, this (VX 3 - 2.5-8x) is the absolute perfect scope for the .338 Win and most hunting rifles. The overall size, magnification range, and clarity is ideal. Though, I prefer the standard duplex in this scope, myself. I could get by with 2 scopes, really. The other "perfect" scope from Leupold is the 1.5- 5X with a German #4 reticle, for the "big stuff"!
Old 03-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks 3DShooter. Is there something about the Boone & Crockett Reticle in particular that you don't like? Or do you just feel it is not necessary?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Thanks 3DShooter. Is there something about the Boone & Crockett Reticle in particular that you don't like? Or do you just feel it is not necessary?
Nothing more than personal preference.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM

[/QUOTE]In my opinion, this (VX 3 - 2.5-8x) is the absolute perfect scope for the .338 Win and most hunting rifles. The overall size, magnification range, and clarity is ideal. Though, I prefer the standard duplex in this scope, myself. I could get by with 2 scopes, really. The other "perfect" scope from Leupold is the 1.5- 5X with a German #4 reticle, for the "big stuff"![/QUOTE]

I agree, but I'll also add a Fixed 4 from leupy, but my fave for sure is the 2.5-8.