Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 06:27 PM
Banned

Default Newell Lake

Need a little help. I've never been to Newell lake and was curious where people access the lake from. This was sort of a last minute thing. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:04 PM

Most access to the south bays is from kinbrook island, fishing down there has been good the last couple weeks.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Most access to the south bays is from kinbrook island, fishing down there has been good the last couple weeks.
I would not heed this advice.Most people access through Jackfish Bay as it involves much less ice travel. There was a tow truck with gin poles doing a retrieval from a pressure ridge,I think, on the west side of Jackfish earlier this week.Use caution on the very south east end.The south west corner of lake also has dangerous areas.Thick ice where you dug your last hole does not necessarily mean same ice thickness all over.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:16 PM

When we went about a month ago, we parked in the parking lot by the beach area and walked on with the sled, heading south and west. I wouldn't drive on, because it's such a funny lake in terms of the ice thickness.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 PM

If you can fish Jackfish there is good access there and generally speaking ice is good to drive on. Especially better than other areas. As always be careful on Newell as some areas of the lake can vary huge in ice thickness in a short distance.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
If you can fish Jackfish there is good access there and generally speaking ice is good to drive on. Especially better than other areas. As always be careful on Newell as some areas of the lake can vary huge in ice thickness in a short distance.
Yes 3 weeks ago I was all over jackfish bay in my half ton. Lots of ice everywhere drilled. Never went out onto the main lake basin.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:09 PM

I remember a pickup going through luckily just to the bottom of the side windows near the outlet to Rolling Hills halfway down the lake while the rest of us were bottoming out on the ice even with an extension on the auger.. may have been during the last derby my memory is on vacation half the time not saying dont fish the lake just be careful. theres usually a pressure ridge heading NW from the campground launch and even if its not here now it can open up a ten foot wide crack overnight, just be safe and check things out.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-24-2020, 06:30 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the info, I like to play it safe. I'm one of those guys that hears the ice cracking and i'm heading for hills.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
Thanks for all the info, I like to play it safe. I'm one of those guys that hears the ice cracking and i'm heading for hills.
youre gonna love Newell

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 PM

Haven't yet developed an ice-fishing affinity, when is the earliest a boat will be able to go on open water? TIA

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King